Is this the 5970's/5870x2 specs?

HardLiner

Gawd
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1359262&postcount=4698

9r3lug.jpg

o1k0o.jpg

Last edited:
If so, doesn't that make the 5970 closer to a 2x5850 than a 2x5870?

Mayhaps there is another reasion they changed the nomenclature.

using watercooling it will do 1ghz or so.
when the eyefinity will work with crossfire, it be the card to get.

5tflops overclocked seems nice.

Ugh a bit dissapointing, I wanted to to grab one of these instead of 2 5870s since a single 5870 is about as fast as my current set up (4870 crossfire) so I really need 2x that for a decent performance increase.

But the speed just doesn't quite cut it for me, with it being slower than 2x 5870 and with crossfire overheads I can't see it beating crossfire 4870s by enough to warrent getting. I have to admit theres few games I cant play maxed anyway so might just wait for Nvidias next card and see what they can bring to the table.

There is the remote possibility that it overclocks like crazy and its price is lower due to not living up to the 5870 specs which might actually make it the perfect card, somehow I doubt it unless they're using the same components underclocked and theres somehow enough voltage to crank it all, long shot. By the time reviews are out to check the card wont be in stock anywhere so it's a bit of a leap of faith. Anyone know RRP?

*edit*

now this is damn interesting they show off massive overclocking headroom on another slide

2qrzktd.jpg

And the very next comment in the B3D thread is

The power figures show it's just barely under the 300W limit.
The the specification for a certified PCI-E device indicates it shouldn't exceed that limit during normal operation under typical conditions.

If a user overrides normal operation by overclocking the card, it would be their choice to do so.

That makes me wonder if they ran into that "limit" and the card is perfectly capable of 5870 speeds just a way of getting around the technicalities, although how dangerous that is I cannot say. I can't seeing it being a threat to the rest of the system only itself.

Last edited:
The thing is right now nobody knows how it's going to overclock.. I don't think you can just take a 5870 to compare and say hey each chip will do 1GHz core and memory will do 1.3GHz on a 5970. Let's see what real world experience tells us when people get these into their home systems.

For anyone who purchased Crossfire 5870's I don't think you have anything to worry about. You also have the option in the future to sell off an additional card if you'd like. If each core on this thing did 1.2GHz and 1.5GHz memory we'd be talking a whole other ball game (and a huge price increase).

People are hitting 900 core on samples, and with slight volt tweaks, 1000 core / 1300 mem has been reported

People are hitting 900 core on samples, and with slight volt tweaks, 1000 core / 1300 mem has been reported

Any links to that, I'd be interested in chasing it up.

The problems with reviews is unless the review sites already have these cards and can get out overclocking figures before it hits the shelves its not going to matter, the card will simply become unattainable like the 5870s, maybe even more so because of the dual GPU nature (stress on TSMC)

Remember, the source is 'Fudzilla' linked within the Beyond3d post so let's remember to all take a healthy dose of a grain of salt with this news. When the original source is Fudzilla, well, I think we've all see their track record.

Ugh a bit dissapointing, I wanted to to grab one of these instead of 2 5870s since a single 5870 is about as fast as my current set up (4870 crossfire) so I really need 2x that for a decent performance increase.

But the speed just doesn't quite cut it for me, with it being slower than 2x 5870 and with crossfire overheads I can't see it beating crossfire 4870s by enough to warrent getting. I have to admit theres few games I cant play maxed anyway so might just wait for Nvidias next card and see what they can bring to the table.

There is the remote possibility that it overclocks like crazy and its price is lower due to not living up to the 5870 specs which might actually make it the perfect card, somehow I doubt it unless they're using the same components underclocked and theres somehow enough voltage to crank it all, long shot. By the time reviews are out to check the card wont be in stock anywhere so it's a bit of a leap of faith. Anyone know RRP?

*edit*

now this is damn interesting they show off massive overclocking headroom on another slide

And the very next comment in the B3D thread is

That makes me wonder if they ran into that "limit" and the card is perfectly capable of 5870 speeds just a way of getting around the technicalities, although how dangerous that is I cannot say. I can't seeing it being a threat to the rest of the system only itself.

They had to keep it under 300w just for compliance reasons. In other words play it safe on their end for the noobs out there with crappy psu's. If this slide is true 1ghz on stock cooling overclocked is easy then I wouldn't hesitate to get one of these if the underclocks were your concern.

Fire up Catalyst control panel and run the slider to 1ghz : profit.

No way do I regret that purchase. I don't want to pay $600 for a vid card, even though it definitely would be worth it in the 5970s case. If I bought that card I would definitely upgrade the whole rig...i7...and all that jazz.

Yeah, from what I've seen the 5970 is basically two 5870 cores downclocked to 5850 speeds, so it should perform better than 2x 5850s (because of the extra stream processors), but not quite as good as 2x 5870s (because of the lower clock speed).

My understanding was that they can't run it at 5870 speeds from the factory because that takes it outside some standard requirement (like it pulls more power than the pci-e spec officially allows on one socket, or the "tdp" is too high or some crap like that).

I strongly suspect that ocing it to 5870 speeds will be trivial.

I had a chance to play a game on a 5870x2 card at the eyefinity demonstration last weekend, it ran really well. seemed like a winner. However, it didn't seem to like 8x anti aliasing at max res on a 30" dell in OFP-DR.

Yeah, from what I've seen the 5970 is basically two 5870 cores downclocked to 5850 speeds, so it should perform better than 2x 5850s (because of the extra stream processors), but not quite as good as 2x 5870s (because of the lower clock speed).

My understanding was that they can't run it at 5870 speeds from the factory because that takes it outside some standard requirement (like it pulls more power than the pci-e spec officially allows on one socket, or the "tdp" is too high or some crap like that).

I strongly suspect that ocing it to 5870 speeds will be trivial.

300W maximum and they are saying they are cherry picked cores reaching up to 1Ghz with a stock cooling system coping up to 400W.

300W maximum and they are saying they are cherry picked cores reaching up to 1Ghz with a stock cooling system coping up to 400W.

Well if we suspect OCing this card to 5870 speeds is trivial/expected, if not more...and the price is $600 and the UK price comes out close to the equivelent of that at todays exchange rate that means £410 with tax....hell the 5870s are £340 at the moment.

I suspect that the UK price is going to be way off just the USD converted, they'll charge us a load more as usual, but as long as its cheaper than £640 ($1140 USD) then its cheaper than 5870 crossfire :)

"Using the in-built ATI Overdrive overclocking tool, we managed 800MHz at the core and 4400MHz DDR at the memory, which gave us a negligible improvement of 120 3DMarks. Further attempts to replicate the higher clock speeds of the Radeon 5870's failed, as Vantage would crash halfway into the benchmarking run. Apparently, the Radeon 5970 is not a very keen overclocker."

:(

This makes me a bit sad.

Using the in-built ATI Overdrive overclocking tool, we managed 800MHz at the core and 4400MHz DDR at the memory, which gave us a negligible improvement of 120 3DMarks. Further attempts to replicate the higher clock speeds of the Radeon HD 5870 failed, as Vantage would crash halfway into the benchmarking run. Apparently, the Radeon HD 5970 is not a very keen overclocker despite what ATI /AMD would like to have us believe. Perhaps it could be somewhat linked to the early driver nature and this may yet see an area of improvement in the near future.

It looks like the temps are coming in about the same as a single 5870 so it's probably hitting a power limit, I guess this will be no match for 5870 crossfire without some kind of volt modding? They should have just made it twin 8pin PCIE power connectors :)

Confirming a power limit should be easy, dump the mem back to stock and see if you can get a higher stable clock on the core, I bet individually the core or memory have no issue hitting the 5870 speeds, just not both at the same time.

This makes me a bit sad.

It looks like the temps are coming in about the same as a single 5870 so it's probably hitting a power limit, I guess this will be no match for 5870 crossfire without some kind of volt modding? They should have just made it twin 8pin PCIE power connectors :)

Confirming a power limit should be easy, dump the mem back to stock and see if you can get a higher stable clock on the core, I bet individually the core or memory have no issue hitting the 5870 speeds, just not both at the same time.

I wouldn't be surprised if ASUS released a card down the line with 2 8 pin connectors for extreme overclocking. They have in the past with other cards.

Probably, a variant with 2x8 would be nice but I suspect thats going to have a heavy markup, meanwhile 5870 will become available and prices will drop, Fermi on the way.

The Radeon HD 5970 essentially squeezes two Cypress XT chips onto a single GPU
Perhaps I'm just being picky about terminology, but a GPU is a chip, not a card. It's as irritating to me as someone referring to their entire computer as a CPU.

As for overclocking performance... can anyone say what the stock vCore is for the 5970? If they've underclocked the cores to fit PCI-SIG power limits, seems possible to me that they've also undervolted them. With a nice voltage bump I wouldn't be surprised if the 5970 makes it to 900-1000MHz.

Back