Is this PSU any good?

jordan172005

Limp Gawd
Ok, my sisters boyfriends step-dad came to me with his computer that wouldn't turn on. I plugged it in and the powersupply light and power led on the pc both flash at a steady pace. I unhooked his psu and used my test PSU and the computer booted fine so now I have to find him a cheap psu. I went on the egg and began searching and found the Fortron 350w PSU for $37.10 shipped but now they are out of stock. Is this PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817174019 any good? I have used a 350w hipro before that outlasted 2 systems with stable voltages and still worked when I sold it with a computer and still haven't had any complaints. If this is not a good choice would you mind recommending me a PSU under $40 with shipping included that is of good quality. It will be powering a Compaq presario with 2.8ghz celeron, 1x 512mb pc2700, 1x 80gb hdd, 1x dvd burner, onboard sound,video,lan

Thank You

The 5th is when I will be ordering one of these psus so any help or information before then will be helpful.

Thanks

Look at his systems specs...Any of the recommended are fine (except the Logisys)

Uh, i wouldn't put a coolmax into anything (except the green series).. Not even a worst enemies pc. And Logisys, same deal. A PSU is the backbone of your computer. Don't cripple it.

jordan172005 said:
It will be powering a Compaq presario with 2.8ghz celeron, 1x 512mb pc2700, 1x 80gb hdd, 1x dvd burner, onboard sound,video,lan
If you can find Fortron 350W it will be fine for your system. If not, take a look at Seasonic S12 330W (little bit more expensive, but very nice PSU, and quiet too).

The Fortron units are great and are typically underrated. When purchasing one expect a good solid no frills workhorse PSU that should last a long time.

I think that the 300w fortron I posted would be good but it has a poor feedback because the guy says it was dead when he got it. You think this would be the same for me or did he just get the one bad out of like 1million? I looked at the 330w Seasonic S12 on newegg and it is $66.64 with shipping which is out of my budget. I have only $40 with shipping to put into this. The Hipro also looks good in my eyes for this system but people must not like them too much. If you guys think the Fortron will be good and not dead when it gets here I will get that Friday but I'm still open to other options. Thanks

You can't base your decision on one guy's comment or experience. There probably isn't single piece of hardware that at least someone didn't got D.O.A, but that doesn't mean anything. Take a look around the forums, you'll see people have problems with 10-100x more expensive equipment.

Just order that Fortron, you'll be fine.

Spoken like someone without a clue...

Wow. Just wow. You recommend a Coolmax PSU (ignorant) and then insult someone that actually knows what they're talking about. I recommend you read the stickies in this subforum and come back when you know something (anything).

Wow. Just wow. You recommend a Coolmax PSU (ignorant) and then insult someone that actually knows what they're talking about. I recommend you read the stickies in this subforum and come back when you know something (anything).
What I know is your post is worthless. You dont address the original post. I also know that the OP is looking for a cheap PS to power an entry level comp (does not even gave a Video Card)
Not only have I used over 50 Coolmax PS without a failure but I listed 3 independent sources with reviews backing up what I said (and there are many more)
Its a shame you kids seem to speak without any real experience, get some and attack me when its a fair fight, LOL...

And try to stick to the point of the thread.

OP, listen to Bbq, you can't beat that power supply for the price. Don't buy any PSU that appears on this list: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=974240
They're on there for a reason.

What I know is your post is worthless. You dont address the original post. I also know that the OP is looking for a cheap PS to power an entry level comp (does not even gave a Video Card) Not only have I used over 50 Coolmax PS without a failure but I listed 3 independent sources with reviews backing up what I said (and there are many more) Its a shame you kids seem to speak without any real experience, get some and attack me when its a fair fight, LOL...

Don't pretend to know anything about my experience level. I've built dozens of machines and have never felt compelled to install crap components in even the least powerful of them. Coolmax is a horrible PSU brand and to recommend one when there are dozens of better choices within $10 of the price is simply irresponsible.

As for your references, you quoted 3 reviews, half of one of them was about the unit you recommended. All of them could be summarized thusly:

This PSU is shiny and it didn't blow up when we plugged it into a computer! Even we can tell that the 12V rail is ridiculously weak though, so we give it a 9/10!

I reiterate: read, learn, then post. Bye.

Not only have I used over 50 Coolmax PS without a failure but I listed 3 independent sources with reviews backing up what I said (and there are many more)
Its a shame you kids seem to speak without any real experience, get some and attack me when its a fair fight, LOL...

None of those were reviews they were "look shiny package" fluff. As for Coolmax....their old ATNG made units are indeed garbage. Then again most people run their PC and by PC's running garbage PSU's such as Coolmax's old ATNG units.

And the point of any thread here is to point people who ask for help to good solutions...not poor ones.

I have never seen so much thread CRAP as in this thread. I suggest you read the thread, read the recomendations I made and stop wasting the OPs and my time with "Dead Threads" and guessing.

BBQs reply to my recomendation was dumb and attacked my choice.

Rabid Badgers reply was even less intelegent

Making blanket statements about something you have little experience in is not a good way to help someone out.

Again, READ the thread before you deside to post crap.

I have never seen so much thread CRAP as in this thread. I suggest you read the thread, read the recomendations I made and stop wasting the OPs and my time with "Dead Threads" and guessing.

Making blanket statements about something you have little experience in is not a good way to help someone out.

1) recommendation, intelligent, decide

2) Bbq attacked your choice because it was a very poor one.

3) That "Dead Thread" is stickied at the top of the Power Supplies subforum for a very good reason.

4) You continue to speak of experience and yet with every post you more clearly demonstrate that you have very little.

5) When the moderator tells you you're wrong, don't respond with a ridiculous flame.

Oh I have been reading this thread.

Up until that post noone went after another member....they went after some very poor PSU that were recommended......which is within the rules.

Well, I read every post in the thread, and I'm going to go ahead and back up Bbq on his suggestion. I barely trust Coolmax fans let alone their PSUs. His PSU was the first suggestion that is any good. The FSP above that got a second look from me only because it's FSP, but it's a model that starts with "ATX", not "FSP", which is what I would go with. If I were to go with FSP, I'd go with this, even though it is over $40. Or, if you want something super solid, raise your budget a bit.

What I know is your post is worthless. You dont address the original post. I also know that the OP is looking for a cheap PS to power an entry level comp (does not even gave a Video Card)

How is his post worthless? There's more in a thread than just recommending. Maybe someone's recommendations work better in another pc, or it's incompatable.. There is discussion. And discussion is good, this is a Forum, not a place to dictate your choices. Which you have clearly done. At the same time, you have gone off topic like you said how Rabid did.

You say you have used over 50 coolmax PSU's, without failure. Well, I have used over 50 Deer PSU's, without a single failure either. Does that mean they're good? No. The Vast Majority of computer problems, come straight from the power supply.

Not only that, but 99% of ALL Psu tests are simply, Manufacturer gives free product. Reviewer puts sample into pc. It powers up. 10/10. Find me a REAL power supply test. A purchased sample, a load tester, o-scope, voltage stability tests, crossload testing, overcurrent protection, etc. The works. For that matter, find me any real power supply test that are of an ATNG power supply.

Just because something works in a computer, does not mean much at all. A Coolmax is on the not recommended list for a reason. a DAMN GOOD reason, mind you.

I have never seen so much thread crap either, thanks in part to yourself. I recommend you find a real power supply test, and read the recommended and not-recommended lists. We are NOT wasting time. We are discussing a power supply for the Original Poster, while other recommendations (Namely, Logisys, Coolmax, etc) are not suitable. I also recommend you Search through this forum for coolmax. In fact, I have made it easier for you: click. What comes up? PSU's to avoid. Coolmax vs 7900GTO. There's way too many to count, and for good reason: Coolmax lacks proper voltage stability. It crossloads poorly. It will have ripple issues, and most importantly, It is lacking in Quality Control. Let me tell you something: In the sub-par power supply factories down in Mainland China or Taiwan, you can order a large batch of power supplies. You can have them with 300w, 500w, even 700w stickers, and they are all exactly the same.

My response to your recommendations, was exactly what it was: Not recommending a poorly made product, for a good reason, and a suggestion with a better option for a small sum of money.

Rabid Badger's response, was similar to mine: Not recommending a bad product, and pointing to a better solution.

Blanket statements, I have not made. I did not say all coolmax power supplies are bad, never buy them. I stated, clearly, that the coolmax power supplies you picked are bad. The Green series 700, 850, and 1000w are good, and made by coolmax. There are other options available, which will be better.

I also recommend to you, to read this thread, and others like it, before you go right ahead recommending a product with a poor reliability record, quality control issues, and made by a company that is known to make sub par power supplies.

Spoken like someone without a clue...

I doubt I'm the one without a clue.

Should any of you doubt BBQ's reputation here on the forums, be sure to head over to Jonnyguru.com/forums, where they'll assuredly reinforce his advice and give you similar responses.

That being said, I don't have a problem recommending any of the XClio, FSP (Fortron Source), or Silverstone units thus far.

Thanks,
JP

Would that XClio BBQ recommended on the first page be good for a XP 3200+ system with 1GB RAM and a 6800 AGP? I'm guessing yes, but as my current PSU just went belly up, I need something ASAP and can't take risks on making the wrong choice.

<edit for more detail>I also have a DVD-ROM, a DVD-Burner, 2IDE HDDs, and a SoundBlaster Audigy 1. Thanks.

Would that XClio BBQ recommended on the first page be good for a XP 3200+ system with 1GB RAM and a 6800 AGP? I'm guessing yes, but as my current PSU just went belly up, I need something ASAP and can't take risks on making the wrong choice.

<edit for more detail>I also have a DVD-ROM, a DVD-Burner, 2IDE HDDs, and a SoundBlaster Audigy 1. Thanks.

Should be just fine.

Torn: What mobo are you using? Does it have the 2x2 P4 connector for the CPU?

It does not have the 2x2 connection. Its an ASUS A7N8X-Deluxe.

Try a single 12v railed psu, with a strong +5v. Otherwise, you'd be crossloading the fuck out of it.

Any immediate recommendations or do I just need to dig through the guide?

Well, I guess that makes things easier, eh? Forgot about that chunk of the guide. Thanks!

Hm...I'm thinking higher wattage=better...I'll go for the 460w.

Hrm. Not having luck finding the Vantec from a retailer I trust (TigerDirect does not instill confidence in me...) and that Enermax is MIA on every site I've looked at. It seems that the ENERMAX EG465P-VE(FC) has been replaced with the ENERMAX EG465P-VE FMA, which has much lower 12V ratings.

Hrm. Not having luck finding the Vantec from a retailer I trust (TigerDirect does not instill confidence in me...) and that Enermax is MIA on every site I've looked at. It seems that the ENERMAX EG465P-VE(FC) has been replaced with the ENERMAX EG465P-VE FMA, which has much lower 12V ratings.

ENERMAX EG465P-VE FMA V2.2 is an ATX 12v2.0 PSU I believe. So it has 2 12v's.

But, isn't that 12V split into the ATX connection and the 4 pin? I don't have a 4 pin on my board, just ATX.

But, isn't that 12V split into the ATX connection and the 4 pin? I don't have a 4 pin on my board, just ATX.

An ATX12v2.0 PSU has the 4 pin aux being fed by one 12 rail while the otehr feeds all your otehr 12v devices. The problem is on ATX12v2.0 PSU's is most crossload badly when the 5v draw is high causing the 12v rail to go out of spec.

Back