Is this normal temps?

I think it should be around 2400mhz and like 40C the temps are high. did you just do something or is this idle?

IRC that is just speed step doing its thing... it lowers cpu speed to save power. Once you start doing something that needs the power it will ramp up. try running prime95 to see if it up to 2.4ghz.

IRC that is just speed step doing its thing... it lowers cpu speed to save power. Once you start doing something that needs the power it will ramp up. try running prime95 to see if it up to 2.4ghz.

But look at the temps, If speed step is on, He should be far lower in speed and far cooler too.

I just got done playing BF2 for an hour and now look. (Prime doesn't seem to work for me)

Last edited:
I got Prime to work, Jesus I ran it for 4 minutes and my temps went through the roof. Could it be Open Hardware Monitor isn't reading my temperatures wrong?

Last edited:
The temperatures of the Open Hardware Monitor should be correct on this hardware. In any case you could also try the latest alpha version of the Open Hardware Monitor:

http://openhardwaremonitor.org/openhardwaremonitor-v0.2.1.22-alpha.zip

Your temperatures are far too high. You need to check if your heat-sink is seated correctly and if there is not too much dust. Something is very wrong if temperatures get that high.

Also the clock is not right this way. Maybe the CPU is already throttling to prevent damage from the heat, or the multiplier is just configured too low in the BIOS.

For what ever reason I set my bios back to optimized defaults and the multiplyer went from x7 to x9 and now I'm back up to 2400mhz but my temperatures are still in the 60's idle. Is that the right fan speed?

The Fan speed is a bit high (I would find it a bit noisy), but otherwise ok.

But you need to check why the temperatures are so high. Maybe not all push pins of the heat-sink have locked correctly, or there is no thermal grease below the heat-sink, or far too much dust.

Did you build this system on your own? Have the temperatures always been that high, or have they slowly increased to the current state?

If everything is fine, then temps should not go above 75°C when running prime, and be at about 40°C in idle.

I'd also say you probably have a bad mount or a bad application of TIM.
Take the cooler off, clean up the old TIM, apply a pea-sized drop of new TIM right in the middle of the CPU and then install the cooler carefully.
Report back.

It's a G0 and I built it myself, I suspect it is dust since the temps were in the low 50's when I first built it and we renovated our house.... I haven't opened the case in a couple of years.

Would it be worth buying a new heat sink and fan? anything you guys recommend for a Q6600?

yes those temps are pretty high. clean your case and remove your heatsink. clean it up and use fresh TIM. should drop your temps significantly.

It's a G0 and I built it myself, I suspect it is dust since the temps were in the low 50's when I first built it and we renovated our house.... I haven't opened the case in a couple of years.

just buy 1 or 2 cans of air an clean your computer out and it will be good as new and put some new paste on your cpu

Back