Is this monitor repairable?

Nazo

2[H]4U
So I was using an old PC monitor as a secondary screen that I didn't need much. It suddenly started messing up about a week ago just seemingly out of the blue though, so I switched it with another really old LCD since I wasn't really using it all that much. Unfortunately, I now want to hook up a Raspberry Pi and it's the only proper LCD I have with a true digital DVI interface (the other being DVI-A only for no apparent reason -- I can't figure out why it wouldn't just use VGA instead if it's going to be analog only since I don't think the company makes and sells cables or anything like that.)

One thing I noticed almost by accident: if I bump it just right, it might sort of get fixed for a bit until it's shaken or moved again (my desk can wobble just a little bit when I'm typing unfortunately.) This leads me to believe that maybe, just maybe, it's simply something a little loose inside. Also, the particular way the lines are changes every time (the picture is probably the worst it does.) There can be more or less lines, they can be less thick or more so and even in completely different locations. Also, it even shows it when I turn the monitor on with no computer or anything else but power connected to it. I'm guessing based on this that it's something to do with whatever part actually converts the signal, but I don't really know what to look for. EDIT: After I left it on for a bit with the problem it seems even bumping or hitting it no longer makes the lines go away and they are more or less stable in how they look (staying like what you see in the image.) I never really left it for long after the problem started originally as I just wrote it off as pointless back when a VGA interface was sufficient, but the Raspberry Pi can't work with VGA or DVI-A unfortunately, so until now I hadn't really tested it for any long durations after the problem started and it first became clear that it wasn't going away.

Is this something user repairable, or should I just consider this monitor to be beyond hope? I definitely couldn't afford to pay someone else to fix it even if I could actually find someone.

Last edited:
maybe depends what is wrong with it could be a capacitor or it something else.

Sorry, I thought I made it more clear. The purpose of this thread is to ask what the problem might be or at the very least where to look for whatever it might be and if I should be messing with it in the first place. (Well, I know that CRTs used to have really high voltage capacitors that could hold charges dangerous enough to kill, but with modern LCDs I'll admit the biggest danger is in the backlight section.)

there are several chips and caps that could have expired your going to need to open it and look

Look for what? I've already opened it. I'm posting in here to get feedback from people who know a lot more about what to look for in a monitor than I do. Given the nature of what it's doing, it should at least be possible for someone to know roughly what to look for at the least.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I called it "old" but I mostly just mean that it's just the monitor I've replaced with a better one. The date of manufacture on the back is June 2010 and while I wasn't the one who bought it (it was originally my sister's and I gave her my previous 1080p screen so kept it as a secondary screen) I'm pretty sure it hasn't even been used for that long. I seriously doubt that any components should have actually expired or anything.

I've seen some LCDs with vertical lines be fixed by pressing on the panel a bit ... I think it was due to a bad ribbon or something. Check out youtube for examples, as that is where I think I saw it.

But it appears like you have a ton of lines, so not sure if that is the problem.

And I think there are adapters you can get so the Pi can output VGA, if you really want that. But I think you'd be better off just buying a cheapo LCD with HDMI or DVI instead.

Well, I can't afford to buy anything right now (the adapters, btw, are HDMI-to-VGA adapters, so an active converter rather than a true adapter,) but it seems to have worked out after all. I was able to trade an old monitor for someone's LCD TV (the monitor is actually technically better than the TV in some ways, but VGA only. Since they are connecting it to an old laptop that lacks DVI or HDMI, it's actually perfect anyway.) I'm just going to give that monitor up for hopeless at this point. Ribbons were pretty much the first thing I checked.

by look inside i meant look for obvious damage or loose cables there is also bga type chips that may have broken solder joints

you could try a different cable

Correction to my previous statement. Ribbons and cables were pretty much the first thing I checked.

Anyway, as I said before, I'm just going to give up on that monitor. The problem was basically solved by the fact that someone was willing to trade a LCD TV they weren't really using for an old monitor.

Back