Is this is the most oc'ing I can expect from my amd64 x2 3800?

onetrueday

[H]ard|Gawd
ocx2.jpg

I'm happy with that, I'm just curious. Considering the voltage and temps, is that within normal range for an x2?

Thanks!

I'm using stock cooling with 6 case 80mm fans.

I'm not too sure about the OC ability of the 3800+ but I would say you could get higher than that, ~2.5 - 2.6ghz?

One thing for sure though, don't use Folding as a benchmark for stability. Use SuperPI, OCCT, and Prime 95 to test stability. Those have recorded results so they will be able to tell if something is unstable immediately. F@H can give bad results and keep running, which won't tell you if your chip is unstable, and also hurts the program by sending back bad results.

SpoogeMonkey said:
Are you using a ram divider or 1:1....still not too bad tho.

I'm using a base of 166mhz for the ram, which brings me back up to 400mhz.

I updated my sig with my system specs.

I'm not too sure about the OC ability of the 3800+ but I would say you could get higher than that, ~2.5 - 2.6ghz?

One thing for sure though, don't use Folding as a benchmark for stability. Use SuperPI, OCCT, and Prime 95 to test stability. Those have recorded results so they will be able to tell if something is unstable immediately. F@H can give bad results and keep running, which won't tell you if your chip is unstable, and also hurts the program by sending back bad results.

good advice. Although it's AMAZING how fast it's chewing up proteins. I'll get that running tonight or tomarrow.

I'm definitely no expert considering I've just been reading about these CPUs right now and haven't even quite jumped ship over to AMD yet. But, that OC seems a bit low and your voltage and temp seems a bit high from everything I've been reading about these CPUs and their OC abilities.

Are you using stock cooling?

Just to contrast, this is what Tech Report noticed:

With very little effort and even less drama, I was able to get the X2 3800+ running stable at 2.4GHz by setting the HyperTransport clock to 240MHz. The Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe mobo on our test system was giving the X2 3800+ about 1.31V by default. I turned that up to 1.3375V, backed the HyperTransport multiplier down to 3X, and the X2 3800+ seemed quite happy.

Now, that's a sweet overclock all by itself, but hitting 2.4GHz has the added benefit of bringing everything into line. When the memory clock is set to the proper divider for DDR333 operation and the HyperTransport clock is raised to 240MHz, the memory actually runs at 400MHz even. Lock down the PCI and PCI-E bus speeds using the motherboard's BIOS, and you're running virtually everything but the CPU and HyperTransport link at stock speeds. I was able to leave the RAM timings at 2-2-2-5, nice and tight. This is the sort of overclock I could live with for everyday use.

With a little more coaxing, I managed to get the X2 3800+ running at 2.5GHz long enough to record benchmark scores, but I had to back off of the memory timings a little bit in order to do it. Here's how it performed.

Anandtech had this to say about its OCing the X2 3800+:

As for overclocking, we had no problems reaching 2.46GHz with our Athlon 64 3800+ sample using standard air cooling. The overclocking wasn't as impressive as what we saw with the Toledo based Athlon 64 4200+, but we will save a final conclusion on overclocking until we get more Manchester based processors in house.

Again, I don't yet have 1st-hand experience with this CPU or even AMD (yet), but I'd check the heatsink and make sure it's makeing decent contact. Otherwise, I hate to be the one to say it, but maybe you got a dud where OCing is concerned. :(

H

Your voltage seems very high and thats probably why you are getting high temps.

spiroh said:
Your voltage seems very high and thats probably why you are getting high temps.
You may have a point. I assumed that he gradually nudged the voltage to that high level in order to make his overclock stable. But maybe he just cranked it up prematurely and is now worried about the temperature. In that case, it is the premature vcore increase rather than the actual overclock holding him back and causing the high temps.

Hey onetrueday, make sure you follow up on this and let us try to help you. Because, otherwise, some of us considering an X2 3800+ for OC-ing purposes may be unnecessarily discouraged by your experience. :(

H

I got my 3800 X-2 Thursday night. After playing with it last night and today here is where I am:

2.5 gig per side
Voltage 1.46
RAM divider 166
FSB 250 (pretty much my RAM limit at 2.85 volts)
Temps after 6 hours of Prime 31 to 32c with an XP-90 and Thermal Take Cat-90
Temps with Exos-2 the same (Gotta love that XP-90 Cat 90 combo)
Idle temps 24 to 25c
System temp 26c (stock fan cooling)
Motherboard MSI Neo 2 platinum bios 9.0
Ram Corsair X2-3200. 2 512 sticks.

Very nice chip, very smooth computer with the dual processor, much smoother in operation then the 3800 Venice at 2820 that was in there.

i have the same revision as you do, mine tops out at 2.47 wtih 1.55v, so id say youre hitting the roof there...

im pretty damn happy with it :) faster than any stock chip for 400 bucks

Guys, I dont know if you guys did this or not but I did not think of it untl it was brought to my attention. I kept timing out using prime95 and even upped the voltage to 2.6 on my 4400+. I couldnt hit 2.6ghz stable at all. I moved the memory divider to 9/10 and was able to hit 2.6 with 1.43.volts easily.

spiroh said:
Guys, I dont know if you guys did this or not but I did not think of it untl it was brought to my attention. I kept timing out using prime95 and even upped the voltage to 2.6 on my 4400+. I couldnt hit 2.6ghz stable at all. I moved the memory divider to 9/10 and was able to hit 2.6 with 1.43.volts easily.

Was your ram otherwise stable at the speed you were running at?

robberbaron said:
Was your ram otherwise stable at the speed you were running at?
My ram wont go past 240 mhz right now. I'm thinking of switching to different ram, since I like using tight timings.

spiroh said:
ive tried memory dividers, in fact im running one right now. unless my chipset not liking 205mhz, thats not the problem

lithium726 said:
ive tried memory dividers, in fact im running one right now. unless my chipset not liking 205mhz, thats not the problem

This might sound weird and maybe you have tried it already but try jumping to like 210 or 215 and see what happens.

I have run into a few mobo RAM combos that simply have a bad or funky spot where they don’t like to play nice, but above or below that they were fine.

Just a thought, Luck.

BillR said:
This might sound weird and maybe you have tried it already but try jumping to like 210 or 215 and see what happens.

I have run into a few mobo RAM combos that simply have a bad or funky spot where they don’t like to play nice, but above or below that they were fine.

Just a thought, Luck.
nah, it slowly gets unstable as i up the mhz 10mhz each time (1mhz on the FSB) and finially fails at 2.48ghz, whereas its stable at 2.47

Back