Is this crucial p3 a good deal for 4tb?

xDiVolatilX

2[H]4U
Is this a good deal? It says it has nand flash? $166 bucks for 4tb?

Crucial P3 4TB PCIe Gen3 3D NAND NVMe M.2 SSD, up to 3500MB/s - CT4000P3SSD8 https://a.co/d/2K11ID7

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Prince Valiant: and I wouldn't touch it even with YOUR 10,000ft barge pole, hehehe 😱

"Cheap is as cheap does" - Forest.. Forest Gump" (sorta)

And FYI, ALL NVME m.2's have NAND flash on them, that's where your data will be stored....but no DRAM = Auto no buy IMO....

And you can get a much better, way faster (avg ~7000k MB/s) and more reliable 4TB drive for just a bit more $$ (like the WD SN850X for $~230) but ONLY IF YOU GET IT REAL SOON, cause the prices are beginning to rise VERY quickly due to changes in the market, demand increases & production cutbacks !

Unless you have a really old machine that won't support anything but Gen 3 drives (and you never plan to upgrade), it really makes no sense to get them nowadays, cause later on you could also use it to upgrade to a newer system and be good for a while longer, at least until more reasonably-priced Gen 5 drives become more common :D

Last edited:
the 1gb i use as my os drive seems fine, but im not using large files or going for speed records. yes there are better.

And you can get a much better, way faster (avg ~7000k MB/s) and more reliable 4TB drive for just a bit more $$ (like the WD SN850X for $~230) but ONLY IF YOU GET IT REAL SOON, cause the prices are beginning to rise VERY quickly due to changes in the market, demand increases & production cutbacks !

Where is the 4TB SN850X only $230? Cheapest price ever on Amazon was $260 and that was only for a few hours: https://camelcamelcamel.com/product/B0B7CQ2CHH

And you can get a much better, way faster (avg ~7000k MB/s) and more reliable 4TB drive for just a bit more $$ (like the WD SN850X for $~230)
I mean that's literally not "just a bit more cash". That's almost 40% more for quite possibly almost zero gain in actual performance depending on the task.

If one is just playing games and whatnot, those high end gen 4 drives are kind of just throwing money away.

Idk. A lot of Gen3 drives are getting a lot of shit spat at them by measurebators. When you can get 4tb of actual nvme storage for around $160, that's pretty damn nice for most people.
For sure, they always look at the Max speed OMGZZZ 7GB/s!! OH yes, but they wont ever actually see those speeds unless they just want to run FIO benchmarks all day, or move around a couple large files between 2 of them back and forth.

For what it's worth, I got one of those (Crucial P3 4TB) back when they were still really expensive 6+ months ago. :rolleyes: (Still a lot cheaper than the alternatives though.)

I got it for a NAS where I know I won't need any kind of high performance (1 GbE, not a lot of IO), where it will be snapshotted to spinning rust every day, and will mostly be used for "write once read many" files. Also, the NAS's got PCIe Gen3. I needed the storage space but wanted low power, small, no noise or vibration - and I'm in the EU which means I have two (or is it three?) years of guarantee against faulty goods.

I would personally not get this drive as a main drive (OS/programs/active use).

I used the 512GB version of this as an OS drive in my son's media server. Since the hardest thing it does is deal with OS updates it's okay for that very limited use. However, I do not recommend this drive to anyone. The moment you try to do any sort of writes to the drive the speed drops terribly. As in slower than writes on a 10+ year old 4200 RPM 2.5" laptop drive. I'm not joking about that. The moment this thing runs out of cache it's complete shit.

For a very similar price you'd be better off with the Teamgroup MP34 since it has DRAM and better flash. The PCIe 4 version of the drive isn't that much more expensive either.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back