Is this a sign of a dead motherboard?

Format _C:

2[H]4U
I was given an HP Pavilion A6010N and the computer will not post :mad:

so far I have tried:

1. Taking out the ram (With no ram the system will long beep pause long beep again until I power it down)

2. Different ram

3. Hooking the monitor up to the onboard video and I also tried a PCIE videocard

4. Clearing the CMOS

5. Different power supply

So is it safe to assume the Motherboard is dead?
but why does it only beep when the ram is removed?
Is this worth buying a replacement board?

Thanks

When you tried even a discrete gpu, did the fans of the card spin? And also does the processor fan spin?

OK so it seems the video card I tried was a dud second card I tried the computer posts :) but it seems the onboard video is dead

What can cause the onboard Video to just die? The computer is from 2007 and it had about 6 years of dust in there (It was never opened until I had it everything was as the way it shipped, except the dust of course!:)) I used my MetroVac ED500 to clean out all of the dust and was there ever alot of it (dust)

I'd be more willing to bet the ram is sketchy. Since the onboard video uses system ram, it'll quickly cause issues.

I've only seen one Intel chipset lose video without borking the entire chipset, and that was an 810 chipset on an old celly. Had to use an old Trident PCI card to get it to post.

Maybe check some of the capacitors (bulging/leaking)?

This, check caps thoroughly. Any bulging/electrolyte leaking on the board is a sure sign of flaky failures. Any caps in the power/signal path of the video would easily kill an onboard graphics. Also double check the BIOS to make sure the onboard is on.

Yeah all of the caps look good
I will check the ram and the BIOS

I officially announce the onboard video DOA! :mad:

OK I let memtest run overnight it passed and I checked the BIOS and it was already set to the onboard as default

So should I buy a replacement board or another video card (The one I am using for testing belongs in another computer)

I officially announce the onboard video DOA! :mad:

OK I let memtest run overnight it passed and I checked the BIOS and it was already set to the onboard as default

So should I buy a replacement board or another video card (The one I am using for testing belongs in another computer)

Bummer, it just sounds very unusual as the graphics is pretty tightly integrated with the other chipset functions (it's on the same silicon AFAIK). Not intimately familiar with the 945 series, but IIRC the northbridge contains graphics.

People use the onboard GPUs on motherboards?

Yes I was going to use it. I am not a gamer :)

The weird thing about this motherboard is even without a display I can hear the computer boot up. I can hear the hard drive working and I even hear the Windows Vista startup sound I just can't see anything on the monitor
I am beginning to think that the onboard video works but the VGA port is somehow damaged

gah HP boards. I had to replace my dad's HP recently because of what sounds like the same issue. Does your HP have a gold-colored micro ATX board?

You MIGHT be able to get it to post video by disconnecting fans/changing which headers they are plugged into, but the fix doesn't last. It's really just a flaky board. Most cost effective solution is probably to get an aftermarket board that uses the same cpu/ram if possible

gah HP boards. I had to replace my dad's HP recently because of what sounds like the same issue. Does your HP have a gold-colored micro ATX board?

You MIGHT be able to get it to post video by disconnecting fans/changing which headers they are plugged into, but the fix doesn't last. It's really just a flaky board. Most cost effective solution is probably to get an aftermarket board that uses the same cpu/ram if possible

Yeah it's a gold colored PCB the board is actually made by Asus though (Probably made a lot cheaper then an Asus board you would see for sale on a computer parts site though)
The board says P5LP-LE and the board is Micro ATX

If I was you I would just buy a cheepo PCI-E GPU and that should fix the problem you plug it in and you should be able to see. it wil pass through the gpu on the slot for bios then disable the onboard GPU.

I used to do that all the time when gpus don't work swap out a GPU.

your desktop graphics will also run smoother since webbrowsers and desktops use GPU power to render webpages/video and what ever now so you get a speed upgrade out of the fix anyway. you can also run areo glass smoother and faster if you have windows 7

here is one that runs with out fan has 1gb video ram for $39 it has a vga and DVI port. if you want a fan you can buy a version with the fan.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127557

Last edited:
Back