Is there software to auto "Master" a CD?

fallguy

2[H]4U
Not sure if it belong here, but I guess so. I know there are some very advanced software suites out. Are there any that master a CD automatically? Is it even possible?

None that will do a job that is even close to being proper. Mastering records is a difficult, elaborate process, even for seasoned mastering engineers.

There are excellent apps out there designed for professional mastering that aren't terribly complex to use, but the heart of a good software mastering suite is the plug-ins.

Head over to zSounds, grab a copy of Wavelab and snag the Waves Diamond set of plug-ins from Waves. Waves makes some great EQs, multi-band compressors and psychoacoustic enhancers.

Thanks for the reply. I was trying to do it for the cheap, for a brother-in-law. He said to have the studio where he cut the CD was going to be about $350 or so. I didnt know if there was some automated software out there. Im fairly tone deaf, and I have doubts that I could do it myself. Im sure he could help me.. but I dont want to be strapped on the PC with him for several hours. :/

For $350, the most they're going to do is throw in a bit of MaxxBass, set up track markers, burn and error check the master.

Tell your brother to go for it under the strict condition that he sits in on the mastering session. Never trust a studio to act in the best interest of the client! Was $350 quoted as a flat rate? A flat rate quote in this instance is a little peculiar, but he may be able to take advantage of it if there are no stipulated time restrictions. Odds are, though, that that quote represents an estimated 2-2.5 hours of work. A great engineer can half-ass master a single track in two hours; no man alive can do a favorable job on an entire album in that span of time. Doing transfers, planning out and setting track markers is 2+ hours alone.

Again, if he decides to go this route, make damn sure he can sit in. If that's a no deal at the particular studio, have him shop it around. If he gets totally bummed about not finding anyone, let me know, and I can make a couple calls.

Mastering is much more than just having the tools. You can give anayone a guitar and they can make noise, but is it music?

Waves makes good stuff, I use them myself, but like any effect they can be misused and the results will be poor. A skilled ear is more valuable that a suite of plugins. Just food for thought.

Back