Is there any reason to upgrade from a SB Live! Value?

LordJezo

Limp Gawd
Is there any reason to upgrade sound cards?

It is the oldest part in my computer but it still plays music and gives me effects in games..

So is there a reason to upgrade it to something newer?

Those cards are pretty bad I had one, I would upgrade to maybe an audigy, otherwise you might be missing out on some of the subtle sounds in games. But if you dont care, stay with it :)

The only reason I an see would be more games coming out with only EAX2.0 or higher support. I upgraded to nVidia Soundstorm and gave away my Live card, but it is a pretty good card...still even by todays standards for general PC use and gaming.

If you're happy with you've got then no, there isn't a good reason to upgrade. On the other hand, if you're at all like most people I know (including myself when I have the money) you want to get the new stuff just because it's new.

I currently am running an SB Live sound card but when I get some money to upgrade my whole pc I plan on getting an SB Audigy 2 ZS Platinum. I know there are other sound cards that are probably just as good as that one but that's what I want.

In other words, the only reason to upgrade something in your pc that is working just fine is because ou want to.:D

I find Yamaha Cavit's kinda cool, external and all, but the general consenus is, If u dont have a decent set of speakers/headphones you are not gona notice a big difference.

So then I don't have to worry about getting a message like:

"Your sound card does not support what is needed to run this game"

messages like some people are now getting with their older video cards and today's newest games?

I didn't think there was any reason to upgrade from my SB Live to anything newer since it still sounded good and I had no complaints with how it performed.

Then I got my A7N8x-DLX and my SB Live has been sitting collecting dust ever since. The Soundstorm audio on the board sounds a lot better than the SB Live ever did.

If you don't have a problem with the sound card, then I wouldn't bother to get a new one unless you have the money to blow.

Originally posted by SmokeRngs
I didn't think there was any reason to upgrade from my SB Live to anything newer since it still sounded good and I had no complaints with how it performed.

Then I got my A7N8x-DLX and my SB Live has been sitting collecting dust ever since. The Soundstorm audio on the board sounds a lot better than the SB Live ever did.

I beg to differ on this one. Same situation as you...going from a Live! to a A7N8X-DLX. They both have equivelant quality of sound in my opinion. I had both plugged into my reciever on my HT system. I guess it's a matter of opinion, but to me they both sound the same, which is they sound great. Never have been a fan of EAX so maybe that's what your referring to or maybe your using the digital out, but to me the analog out is the same. The biggest improvement to me was not having to deal with Creative's software and drivers.

I've still got my SBLive! Platinum 5.1 w/Live Drive...damn good card if you ask me..and sounds great when hooked up to home theater...but when i build my dually i'll prolly fork out the cash to update to an audigy 2 just because.....

Back