Is there a new Raptor in the works

Sneak

Limp Gawd
Well WD is canning the 74's from what I am hearing and there have been some nice deals on those drives. Makes me wonder if there is something new Raptorwise in the near future.

Any real facts or even believable rumor?

They have about doubled in size each time a new one comes out. To my thinking, with the size of newer drives these days WD is going to have to up the Raptor capacity.But maybe not. Doubling again to 300 gigs might be ok depending on the price.

So is there any info out there or just a black hole?

Who says they're canning the 74GB model? I bet it's their most popular. Considering they just came out with the new ADFD drives last year, I doubt WD is discontinuing anything or getting ready for something new just yet.

Well WD is canning the 74's from what I am hearing and there have been some nice deals on those drives. Makes me wonder if there is something new Raptorwise in the near future.

Any real facts or even believable rumor?

They have about doubled in size each time a new one comes out. To my thinking, with the size of newer drives these days WD is going to have to up the Raptor capacity.But maybe not. Doubling again to 300 gigs might be ok depending on the price.

So is there any info out there or just a black hole?
If the length of time between the WD740GD and WD1500ADFD is any indication, we won't see another Raptor until 2009 or so

There are 15k rpm SATA drives planned?
I haven't heard of anything

Seagate Cheetah, 15k RPM drive, however I cannot find someone who sells them in the UK, think they are really expensive atm.
The Cheetah line of drives are all SCSI interface as far as I know. I did a cursory search at Seagate's website and I didn't find anything about SATA drives faster than 7200rpm. Do you have any links?

Yeah, I realized now the 15k's are SCSI.

I looked around on Newegg, since they tend to have everything, and the 15k's are there.

As far as I know then, 15k SATA drives do not exist, maybe some company is working on one, but I doubt there is a rush, especially considering Solid State disks are the way to go IMHO.

The Cheetah line of drives are all SCSI interface as far as I know. I did a cursory search at Seagate's website and I didn't find anything about SATA drives faster than 7200rpm. Do you have any links?
don't forget SAS

I find it difficult to believe in either the 740ADFD dying out or a new Raptor. The 740GD may disappear, perhaps, but that's a logical step - they have a newer, faster drive out, and maintaining two production lines is more expensive than one.

Who says they're canning the 74GB model? I bet it's their most popular. Considering they just came out with the new ADFD drives last year, I doubt WD is discontinuing anything or getting ready for something new just yet.

Well Fry's was having a special on them here in Austin, Texas. I bought one and was told by a guy there that they were discontinued items and could no longer be ordered.. The same happened at Best Buy. They had a nice deal on them but no more available after the stock was gone. These were both the 74 gig 16 meg cache version.

Maybe that info was incorrect. But both places told me the same thing. I did not get the impression that the drives were still available but they were not going to carry them any longer.

So is that info wrong and they are going to be good products for a while. Or are they being cycled out?

The word on Western Digital is that they couldn't put out a 15K SATA drive if they wanted to, and none of the other manuf. want to cut into their high-profit SAS and SCSI sales by releasing 10K or 15K SATA drives.

The word on Western Digital is that they couldn't put out a 15K SATA drive if they wanted to, and none of the other manuf. want to cut into their high-profit SAS and SCSI sales by releasing 10K or 15K SATA drives.

With the Raptor smoking most of the 15K SCSI drives in single user enviroments, I don't see why they would if they could.

The Fujitsu MAU/MAX series beats the Raptor in most single user environments.

Of course there are.

There will always be faster, larger, more dense, more cache drives planned

WHEN a 15K rpm SATA drive will ever comes out is another story.
I bet we'll see hybrid drives on the shelf first.
:)

It looks like for the time being you'll have to settle for the 10k 150Gb version for the time being....like those aren't expensive enough as it is:D

I speak from recent experience, just bought 4 for a RAID array.:cool:

Of course there are.

There will always be faster, larger, more dense, more cache drives planned

WHEN a 15K rpm SATA drive will ever comes out is another story.
I bet we'll see hybrid drives on the shelf first.
:)

The problem is that Western Digital hasn't ever had a 15K line (not too familar with their old defunct SCSI line, but, 99% sure no 15K drives). Seagate/Maxtor, Fujitsu, and Hitachi could all do it, but, why would they sell a drive that would cut into their more profitable SCSI/SAS lineup? Hence no 10K SATA drives from anyone but WD
It will be a long while indeed until 15K SATA

Back