Is the Antec HGC-400 enough for a 3GHz q6600 paired with a GTX 650 Ti?

Hi,

A friend of mine needed a cheap computer capable of gaming, so I got a few used parts and here is what I've got:
  • CPU: Intel q6600, 4 cores @ 2.4GHz
  • Graphics card: GV-65TOC-2GI, Gigabyte GTX 650 Ti, 2Gb GDDR5, Core @ 1032MHz
  • RAM: 4x 2Gb DIMMs DDR2 @ 800MHz
  • HDD: 1x SATA 500Gb, 7200RPM
  • PSU: Antec HGC-400, 400W, 80+ Bronze
  • Disc drive: CD+/DVD+ Writer
I used an old Fujistu p5825 desktop PC and I upgraded it with all of that.

Currently, the Antec HGC-400 is enough for this system, but I'd like to apply the BSEL mod (tape mod) to the q6600 to push it to 3GHz, as the motherboard's BIOS doesn't provide any overclocking options.

I checked out OuterVision Power Supply Calculator and it tells me that I need at least a 435W PSU to run the system safely, or a 405W PSU without the CD/DVD drive (which will be rarely used).

The power supply itself isn't a bad one, it's an Antec High Current Gamer 400W and it's certified 80+ Bronze. It's not an high end PSU, but it's a solid and stable one.

Could I run this system safely with the Intel q6600 "overclocked" at 3GHz (BSEL/tape mod) and all the over components on the Antec HGC-400?

Thank you and have a nice day.

Last edited:
Yes. An Antec 400W 80+ Bronze is actually good for the 400W it's rated for. It's the cheap, generic Chinese junk PSUs that say 400W when they are safe for less that you have to watch out for. Those PSUs are the reason why PSU calculators always overestimate the wattage.

Thanks for your answer.

I built the computer with these specifications and the q6600 "overclocked" to 3GHz thanks to the BSEL mod, I stress tested it with Unigine Heaven and it stayed stable. My friend as been doing a lot of gaming on it for the past week and it stayed stable, it never shut down or crashed due to unsufficient power delivery.

I think that this build is pretty solid and that the Antec HGC-400 is good enough to power this computer.

Back