Is my pump broken?

alexoprice

n00b
Hey everyone i have a swiftech mcp600 pump and had used it for about 6 months and dismantled my wc setuf for the summer. I was getting ready to put everything back in the case so i tested the pump in a small loop. It will pump strong and it seems like there is no problem... for about 5 seconds. After 5 seconds the piece of crap spots pumping water but i can feel the pump is vibrating. am about to leave for school in a few days and wanted to have this taken care of, pretty mad. Anyone know whats goin on or had similar experience? If it was broken i would think it wouldnt pump at all, cant figure out why it stops.

If you can, dismantle it and clean it out with some Q-Tips or whatever, you may have some build up or something of that sort. I'm not sure if you have to lubricate any of those pumps, but check out any maintenance issues like that. Is the flow being interupted possibly? Maybe try it out in a sink without the loop and see if you can isolate the problem...

Thanks for the reply dude, i opened it up and cant imagine it being much cleaner. I have to go from 1/2 incho to 3/8 inch tubing and bought copper barbs at home depot to do it and i guess they are too restrictive cause it seems to make my pump "spin out" when it restricts the inlet becuase it will run fine when the barb is removed, guess i will just have to buy some of the plastic/nylon whatever ones because they worked before.

Back