Is my EVGA 8800GTX dying?

ilikecake

Gawd
So I was trying to find a program that will show video ram, as I thought I was running out while playing fallout 3. In the process of looking around, I downloaded and tried ATITool (despite the name, it will work with nVidia cards too). I ran the scan for artifacts option at the default clocks for my card, and got this.

(click for bigger picture)

I have run the program several times, and it consistently finds these 'deltas' at varying locations and amounts each time. However, it also states 'no errors for X seconds' where X is equal to the runtime of the test. So, I am slightly confused. Does this mean my card is no longer stable at the default clock speed? If that is the case, is this grounds to RMA the card?

I have been experiencing crashes when playing some games (Fallout 3 and Dead Space are the most recent), but not others (TF2, for example). I attributed the crashes to poor coding in the games, but this makes me question whether it is infact a problem with my hardware.

If your gtx is not overclocked then I would assume its dieing. I'm no expert so just take what I say with a grain of salt.

If your gtx is not overclocked then I would assume its dieing. I'm no expert so just take what I say with a grain of salt.

probably not. Im guessing you ran into the same ati tool problem I had with my ultra.
Try the following and see whether you still get artifacts and deltas in atitool. Go to settings, then in the uppermost bar select "Artifact scanning" and there check off the box next to "Use old (more compatible?) scanning method". Before I tried that even stock clocks would produce artifacts and deltas in seconds in atitool now atitool works fine with my ultra.

probably not. Im guessing you ran into the same ati tool problem I had with my ultra.
Try the following and see whether you still get artifacts and deltas in atitool. Go to settings, then in the uppermost bar select "Artifact scanning" and there check off the box next to "Use old (more compatible?) scanning method". Before I tried that even stock clocks would produce artifacts and deltas in seconds in atitool now atitool works fine with my ultra.

Thanks for the responses. Using that setting makes the deltas go away. Great success! :D

Back