Is My Comp Dead?

malor

Limp Gawd
I have just built up my p4 system. Nothing fancy, 3.2GHZ 512MB of Ram, 120GB SATA, simple asus mobo, and when I boot initially, it say "Unreadable boot device". It appears to skip the bios and POST and go straight to this message. I really don't know what could be happening. Is my comp dead?

Boot device usually refers to the HDD. Is there any way to get in to the bios? Did you try hitting del or f1 or whatever during startup?

Your HD or SATA controller might be going bad. Your computer probably is set to quick bootup which is why you don't see the POST screen. Look through the manual and find out what key is used to enter the BIOS and as soon as you start the computer, push that key to get into the BIOS and modify the settings to your liking.

Edit: Enable S.M.A.R.T. and disable quick bootup so that you can see what your BIOS is putting out to the screen. It's something I like to look at...

even when I've pressed the keys to access bios, and I'm in there configuring, it shuts off after about a minute anyway. I'm really not sure what's going on here.

It may be a power issue if the power supply can't provide system with enough amps to run. What brand/model is the power supply and what is its rated watt output?

Reseat everything, reapply the thermal grease. Check out your powersupply, it might not have enough power, but it should have enough to run the bios.

Back