Is my Athlon XP 3000+ a "3 GHZ" cpu?

wiskeychris

Limp Gawd
Just curious. I know they benchmark them against p4 3ghz cpu's. My cpu reads at 2.9 ghz. Please help, I just bought this thing.

if you just bought this thing, it should read it is 2.1GHz. If you read 2.9GHz, something is wrong or you were vague in your message.

i thought this was the video card forum?!?!

that is what amd considers their chip to be equal to (amd 3000+ is about equal to 3ghz from intel. amd is better in some area, intel in others)

Clock for clock an Athlon is simply faster than an Intel chip. So a AMD Athlon XP 3000+ is comparable and in some cases faster than a Intel Pentium 4 3.0C. In some areas it won't be quite as fast. It depends on what software your running as to which is actually faster at the time.

But just because your CPU reads as something other than 3.0GHz doesn't mean anything.

And like the others guys said, this really should go in the AMD Processor section.

Hes saying technically this could belong in the video card forum if your rendering in software mode... lol. I thought it was funny.

wiskeychris said:
Just curious. I know they benchmark them against p4 3ghz cpu's. My cpu reads at 2.9 ghz. Please help, I just bought this thing.

Basically, you are suffering from the fact that Intel has marketed clockspeed ( megahertz) as the performance of a processor. They have been doing it because they are simply very good at making high clocked processors and marketing them to the average joe who doesn't know any better.

Your AMD chip might run at about 2.1 ghz, but that doesn't mean that it will bring the same performance as a 2.1ghz Pentium 4 or a 2.1 ghz Celeron. Infact, it will offer a much higher performance than either of the two. Your 2.1ghz Athlon XP brings around the same performance as a 3ghz Pentium 4. And so AMD gives your processor a name that will help market it as a direct competitor to the 3ghz Pentium 4.

Processors are very complicated. Infact, I like to think that only a very small percentage of the world even trully understands the microprocessor. Clockspeed is only 1, out of perhaps several dozen factors that determine what a processor can perform.

Back