Is Kingston the only co. that can makes compatible memory for brand name laptop such as Lenovo, HP etc.?

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
are brand name such as Lenovo still making proprietary memory for their laptop that you have to buy it from Lenovo or the compatible equivalent from Kingston?

or has it all change to generic DDR4 memory that you can buy extra memory from any other 3rd party? because back in 1990's, it's all proprietary memory from brand such as Compaq, and you have to buy it from COmpaq or Kingston's compatible guarantee.

No one really uses proprietary memory in laptops anymore. Solder on with no expansion slots? Sure.

No one really uses proprietary memory in laptops anymore. Solder on with no expansion slots? Sure.
why? out of the goodness of the heart of greedy HP, Lenovo and especially Dell? If they pick proprietary memory, then people have to buy it from them and they make big bucks, what makes them change their mind since 1990s? and when did this happens?

Just stuck some Crucial DDR4 SODIMMs into a brand new HP a couple weeks ago, ran without issue!

Crucial makes memory for almost everything. Use the wizard and select your make/model.
Another vote for Crucial as well. Upgraded my Asus TUF gaming laptop with their memory and wizard tool.

Last edited by a moderator:
okay, I never thought I come across this problem, but the laptop doesn't recognize the memory:

from the above, I open up the laptop, and snap in the extra 8 GB of RAM from Kingston. There is only 1 way to go in. It snap in place, but when I boot up the laptop, it only shows 8 GB of RAM. The only thing I can think of, is I need to flash the BIOS. But if it's the BIOS, then the laptop shouldn't boot up. Anyhoo, I went to the BIOS, and the laptop only shows 8 GB of RAM.

P.S. I wasn't trying to buy Kingston, originally I email the shipper that if there is extra charge on shipping, then send me KIngston KCP432SS68, and I never realize they actually ship it w/o charging me shipping. So I waste time to buy G Skill, until I open the box and turns out they did sell the memory w/o charging me extra shipping.

okay, I never thought I come across this problem, but the laptop doesn't recognize the memory:

from the above, I open up the laptop, and snap in the extra 8 GB of RAM from Kingston. There is only 1 way to go in. It snap in place, but when I boot up the laptop, it only shows 8 GB of RAM. The only thing I can think of, is I need to flash the BIOS. But if it's the BIOS, then the laptop shouldn't boot up. Anyhoo, I went to the BIOS, and the laptop only shows 8 GB of RAM.

P.S. I wasn't trying to buy Kingston, originally I email the shipper that if there is extra charge on shipping, then send me KIngston KCP432SS68, and I never realize they actually ship it w/o charging me shipping. So I waste time to buy G Skill, until I open the box and turns out they did sell the memory w/o charging me extra shipping.

Could you try booting the machine only using the Kingston stick in the primary DIMM slot and taking out the other 8GB stick you have in the machine? If the two sticks are from different manufacturers....I'm not an expert in this mind you....but they might not work together.

other memory module is soldered, and kingston guarantee compatibility
Yeah I think all of us were operating under the assumption that there were no soldered modules, and that you were installing a kit in place of the old. Mixing kits from different manufacturers (Kingston with Samaung or Crucial etc.) is where you get compatibility issues, even if the frequency and form factor are the same.

If what pendragon1 suggested does not work, you could use CPU-Z software to determine the manufacturer of the soldered RAM. If the manufacturer is not Kingston, that could be why the SODIMM module you installed is not being recognized. You may have to find an 8GB module that matches the soldered module's manufacturer.

https://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/Lenovo/Lenovo_V15_G3_IAP/Lenovo_V15_G3_IAP_Spec.pdf

so this is what Lenovo shows on the memory specification, you can see 8 GB is soldered.

Now Kingston, KNOWING that, they told me their memory upgrade can work. In their link, they even said 8 GB (non-removable), so they must have tested it. I even call them to confirm.

https://www.kingston.com/en/memory/search/model/104932/lenovo-v-series-v15-g3-iap

and you can see the part no. at the back, the one I bought is KCP432SS6/8

As to cleaning contact, that's not necessary, the box arrived brand new and sealed, I open it and snap in the slot right away. So it looks like I should call Kingston because the 8gb module SHOULD match the soldered module as PER what Kingston guarantee

So it looks like I should call Kingston because the 8gb module SHOULD match the soldered module as PER what Kingston guarantee
Yeah, I'm kind of surprised Kingston has a tool like that.

If I were in your position, I'd run CPU-Z just to determine what manufacturer and rank composition the RAM. If it is not a Kingston DIMM that is single rank, then you don't have to waste your time on a call; you can just seek out a DIMM from that manufacturer. But if Kingston feels they can match compatibility with this tool to your specific laptop, then maybe it is worth it to you to give them a call.

I suppose it would be interesting to find out exactly what brand of memory Lenovo is really using. I"ll give it a go.

As to Kingston, they are multi-million $ co., they post a link like that, they guarantee so this shouldn't happen

After you file the police report, you might want to call Kingston and see what solutions they can offer.

Back