Is it worth upgrading? FX Series

Trivium

n00b
I have an FX 6300 OC'd to 4.5ghz currently, and I'm experiencing some bottlenecking in Battlefield 1 with my GTX 1060 video card (6GB). I'm wondering if there would be any noticeable difference between the 6300, and say a 8350 or 8370 when it comes to gaming? I just put this system together last month, so I'm not planning to switch over to AMD Zen when it comes out, or even Intel, cause I'd like to at least get a few years out of this.

During gameplay (ultra settings), my GPU usage doesn't exceed 80%. Usually stays around 60-70ish, and the FPS is actually pretty decent around 60-80fps average at 1440x900 60hz resolution. I had to cap it though, due to the game getting choppy.

If I were to go with a 8350, would I even be able to get 4.5ghz OC'd out of it with a Corsair H60 cooler? Seeing as how it's 125W versus the 6300's 95W.

Last edited:
test if/how you are cpu bottlenecked.

- Download and run process explorer
- select you game process
- go into threads and see the cpu utilizatin of each threads
if any thread utilization are close to 100%/logical cores you have a CPU bottleneck and more cores will NOT help. you need corespeed
If total CPU utilization comes close to 100% you have a CPU bottleneck and more cores might help. (Corespeed for sure will)

But looking at the low GPU usage you are probably CPU bottleneck. you just need ti see if its in width (cores) or height (corespeed)

cpu.JPG

I don't think it would help. I think BF1 is optimized very well and the different CPU's don't have a big difference. Although if you run DX12 well... check the charts.. AMD FX might not save you no matter what

I have an FX 6300 OC'd to 4.5ghz currently, and I'm experiencing some bottlenecking in Battlefield 1 with my GTX 1060 video card (6GB). I'm wondering if there would be any noticeable difference between the 6300, and say a 8350 or 8370 when it comes to gaming? I just put this system together last month, so I'm not planning to switch over to AMD Zen when it comes out, or even Intel, cause I'd like to at least get a few years out of this.

During gameplay (ultra settings), my GPU usage doesn't exceed 80%. Usually stays around 60-70ish, and the FPS is actually pretty decent around 60-80fps average at 1440x900 60hz resolution. I had to cap it though, due to the game getting choppy.

If I were to go with a 8350, would I even be able to get 4.5ghz OC'd out of it with a Corsair H60 cooler? Seeing as how it's 125W versus the 6300's 95W.
With the H60 depending upon what voltage you can get away with the 8350 you would be cutting it close but should be able to do it. You might want to see what you can grab a used 8350 or 8370 first otherwise I would say wait to see how Zen performs and price and then upgrade system to either Intel or AMD depending upon best performance/$ that will get you what you want.

To answer your question no it's not worth it. You are getting 60-80 as it stands now which is perfectly playable. Dumping in another $150 won't get you much and on top of that you are OC'd already.

If you are unhappy I suggest handing down this PC minus the GPU to a family member who needs one and opening up a credit card to get the ZEN. It's just what's right to do. P:)

To answer your question no it's not worth it. You are getting 60-80 as it stands now which is perfectly playable. Dumping in another $150 won't get you much and on top of that you are OC'd already.

If you are unhappy I suggest handing down this PC minus the GPU to a family member who needs one and opening up a credit card to get the ZEN. It's just what's right to do. P:)

Yes, it definately is playable... on ultra to boot...so I can't complain there. I'll hold out for ZEN I guess, just wondering if those motherboard will support DDR3. If so, I'll just get that and a CPU, and I should be good to go (I hope lol). The 8350 is going for $199 right now here in Canada, and I'm pretty reluctant to spend that anyways.

Yes, it definately is playable... on ultra to boot...so I can't complain there. I'll hold out for ZEN I guess, just wondering if those motherboard will support DDR3. If so, I'll just get that and a CPU, and I should be good to go (I hope lol). The 8350 is going for $199 right now here in Canada, and I'm pretty reluctant to spend that anyways.

Zen won't support ddr3 I am 100% its ddr4 only. Even if it did You should never hold out on ram. No point getting a brand new mobo and zen and hope it supports ddr3. Whats another 60-70 dollars because you will bottleneck it in bandwidth. I just never understood that concept. If you upgrade CPU/MOBO and CPU is designed for faster memory, always go with those 3 things atleast.

Yes. Ram is kind of like the exhaust on a car. If you can't get the exhaust out your upgraded motor will be pissed off.

It's not necessarily the speed of the ram but the bandwidth.

Zen won't support ddr3 I am 100% its ddr4 only. Even if it did You should never hold out on ram. No point getting a brand new mobo and zen and hope it supports ddr3. Whats another 60-70 dollars because you will bottleneck it in bandwidth. I just never understood that concept. If you upgrade CPU/MOBO and CPU is designed for faster memory, always go with those 3 things atleast.

60-70 dollars? Nah, try like 120+ for a 2x8GB kit!! Regardless, I'll look into it when the time comes. Another option that I was looking into was the FX 9590, but from what I understand my motherboard and cooling are inadequate for that particular chip.

60-70 dollars? Nah, try like 120+ for a 2x8GB kit!! Regardless, I'll look into it when the time comes. Another option that I was looking into was the FX 9590, but from what I understand my motherboard and cooling are inadequate for that particular chip.

what are you seriously talking about. Clearly you haven't looked. Even with the recent price hike in ddr4 you have have a pair of 2 8gb modules from 80-90. I still see one on sale for 72 bucks. You can justify whatever you want to believe for your self. but its clearly not 120+

what are you seriously talking about. Clearly you haven't looked. Even with the recent price hike in ddr4 you have have a pair of 2 8gb modules from 80-90. I still see one on sale for 72 bucks. You can justify whatever you want to believe for your self. but its clearly not 120+

I don't know where you are in the world, but here a few 2x4GB DDR4 kits goes for around $80. 16GB kits are all $120+ unless there's some kind of crazy sale on...

Clearly I HAVE looked, instead of assuming what the prices are.

I don't know where you are in the world, but here a few 2x4GB DDR4 kits goes for around $80. 16GB kits are all $120+ unless there's some kind of crazy sale on...

Clearly I HAVE looked, instead of assuming what the prices are.
You looked Newegg? Smh. I saw one just at 67.99 and others in the 80s and 90s.

G-skill ddr4 3000mhz for 79.99.

Here let me help you out a little. Lol. Save you some $$$

Attachments

• IMG_0665.PNG
    IMG_0665.PNG
    461.8 KB · Views: 38
Im wondering if there would be any noticeable difference between the 6300, and say a 8350 or 8370 when it comes to gaming? I just put this system together last month, so I'm not planning to switch over to AMD Zen when it comes out, or even Intel, cause I'd like to at least get a few years out of this.

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-FX-8370-vs-AMD-FX-6300/2983vs1555

Huge speed difference even at stock to stock clocks. Plus you can get 5ghz out of the 8370.

maybe if BF1 runs ona cpu bound scenario get an FX 8 core or an i7 with unlocked multiplier (or skylake can be locked )

maybe if BF1 runs ona cpu bound scenario get an FX 8 core or an i7 with unlocked multiplier (or skylake can be locked )

Yeah I'm seriously contemplating whether to go with a 8350 or 8370. Looks like here in Canada, the 8370 only comes bundled with the wraith cooler which I won't use...and don't really wanna pay that extra bit for. If all this Zen talk is accurate (or at least somewhat), I'll end up holding off due to cost. Just don't know if there will be any real noticeable improvement with game play, not just battlefield specifically, but others as well. Another thing too that I'm iffy about is, if I can even get an 8350/8370 to 4.5ghz stable with my current cooling situation. If not, it would really be pointless to me I think.

Yeah I'm seriously contemplating whether to go with a 8350 or 8370. Looks like here in Canada, the 8370 only comes bundled with the wraith cooler which I won't use...and don't really wanna pay that extra bit for. If all this Zen talk is accurate (or at least somewhat), I'll end up holding off due to cost. Just don't know if there will be any real noticeable improvement with game play, not just battlefield specifically, but others as well. Another thing too that I'm iffy about is, if I can even get an 8350/8370 to 4.5ghz stable with my current cooling situation. If not, it would really be pointless to me I think.
the cheapest is fine
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/battlefield_1_pc_graphics_benchmark_review,9.html

On air with a tower cooler you can definitely get 4.4Ghz, over that will be iffy for full stable and not pushing the temp barrier. Remember it isn't volts with FXs you need to worry about it is temps. Many are running 1.7V with >5.0Ghz for 3 years now. You just gotta keep the temps low. I highly recommend a Corsair water cooler ie: 240mm as they can definitely get you to 4.6->5.0Ghz and keep the temps down in the 40C area and keep the life of the CPU up.

It certainly doesn't hurt to have an extra heatsink around in case your AIO shits the bed.

Last edited:
I wouldn't get an "e" revision. Seems slower clock for clock, at least for the 8370 that I wound up getting myself.
this is true IF you are running stock. but when oc'd I don't think there is much of a difference between them at the same clock speeds. except the 95w parts run cooler.

I wouldn't get an "e" revision. Seems slower clock for clock, at least for the 8370 that I wound up getting myself.

They are the same exact chips.. just clocked differently and supposedly the e parts are binned for lower power usage.

They are the same exact chips.. just clocked differently and supposedly the e parts are binned for lower power usage.
have there been any reports on max clocks for these e cpus? Just wondering if they are low power binnned are their OCing walls lower

have there been any reports on max clocks for these e cpus? Just wondering if they are low power binnned are their OCing walls lower

They were able to get 4.8Ghz on the link I posted.

4.5 should be fairly easy with around 4.8 being about the max.

That being said, I would probably not even try 4.5 with the board you have now as the VRMs have no cooling whatsoever. If you add heatsinks and a fan to cool off the heatsinks, then it might be ok.

Back