Is it possible to get a good S-IPS 24" panel for less than $1,000?

Tough one here. Leaning towards the HP since it is newer but the NEC is just an unbelievable price. the 10% off frees up money for extended warranty too. Anyone know which one has better black levels? I also do a moderate amount of casual CS:S.
Newer is not always better, and I believe that is true in this case.

I just noticed that the link for "read full terms" for the extended warranty doesn't actually work...

is the extended warranty available for the refurb?

What's wrong with S-PVA?

Type that in the Google search field a press enter.

Oh, FFS. Here:

Technology such as S-PVA/MVA are middle of the road LCD panels. They offer better color reproduction and wider viewing angles than TN panels, but have slower response times. They are very similar to S-IPS on paper. They also offer large viewing angles and good color reproduction, though not as good as S-IPS. The response times are generally worse than TN or S-IPS panels and there have been reports of a few panels that suffer from input lag, so VA technology may not be the best choice for fast paced gaming. VA panels have the advantage of higher contrast ratios compared to other panel types, which leads to better black levels. The biggest disadvantage of VA based panels is color shifting. Color shifting is when the image viewed from one angle changes or "shifts" when viewed from a slightly different angle, making various uneven brightness levels across the display. This bothers many users to the point they will not even consider buying a VA based panel, while other users don't notice/aren't bothered by the color shifting. Color shifts also cause a loss of shadow detail in dark scenes when viewed directly from the center. VA panels are much easier to find compared to IPS because so many manufacturers use them. They offer better image quality than TN at lower price than IPS based panels.

The jist of it is color shifting problems, the "sparkle' effect, higher response times, and high input lag (over 50ms typical).

I'll be placing an order for the 2490wuxi and a black ergotron lx desk mount. Also buying a G11 keyboard and g5 laser mouse.

I'll be placing an order for the 2490wuxi and a black ergotron lx desk mount. Also buying a G11 keyboard and g5 laser mouse.

please let us know about the 2490 and maybe you can post some pics :)
i am also looking for this screen here in the netherlands:rolleyes:

I've got to say, for ~$600, there is no question that the NEC is far and away the best choice.

you say its a good or bad choice? (sry, my bad english:p)

He is saying that is definitely the best choice :)

I will post pictures when I have it (hopefully by next monday)

In the netherlands the cheapest price is 850 euro
The 2470wnx for 650 euro

Very important for me is that the screen does NOT make any (high freq) sound...

In the netherlands the cheapest price is 850 euro
The 2470wnx for 650 euro

Very important for me is that the screen does NOT make any (high freq) sound...

Which is 850 Euro? The NEC LCD2490WUXi?

yes, but that is the price new. if you order a refurbished model from techforless its only 580 USD with coupon code. But since you are in Europe you would probably have to ship it to a US address of a family/friend and have them forward it to you.

*just placed my order*

I don't know if I want to lay out ~$600 on a refurb monitor with only a 90 day warranty - has anyone bought one from Tech4LEss yet?

I've had mine for 19 days now. Until last night I thought it was a perfect specimen, however I discovered that it hums like a motherfucker. I turned my PC off and heard this "ommmommmomm" noise. At first I thought it was a distant plane making a weird noise, but the source didn't seem to move after a few seconds and I realized it must be my monitor. I'm certain that's why this unit was sent back and refurbished, because the picture has no defects.

Even my PS3 drowns out the hum, and my PC and 360 completely obliterate it. On top of that, I have headphones on almost all the time, so that's why it took me almost three weeks to notice it. Had I simply turned the monitor on and nothing else I would have noticed instantly.

I'm almost certainly going to keep this one, since I'll never hear it while I'm using it, but if I ever tried to silence my equipment I'd have to move it to a noisy system.

I can deal with a hum - so long as there are no damned dead pixels ;D

How long did it take from the day you ordered to the day of arrival?

I ordered it on Dec 31, it shipped Jan. 2/3 and arrived on Jan. 7. That's with standard shipping from Colorado to Seattle.

This next week is most definitely going to suck

Did you order one? Online shopping has taught me not to expect to possess at a known date a product I have paid for. It might ship out on a day that puts it in the dead zone for a weekend, it might miss the delivery estimate, the product might not be to your satisfaction and you might have to send it back...etc. Depressing, but it's worth it to avoid disappointment. :)

By the way, mine didn't come with a DVI cable, so you'll need one of those unless you want to use VGA.

So I got the HP LP2475w from that ebay link i posted earlier and everything went smooth and arrived brand new and in perfect condition! Wohooo! Been using the screen for a few days now and ran a bunch of tests. It's perfect! I love it. Nice colors, brightness...etc
Gonna start photo editing in a couple of weeks so we'll see how that goes.

I was also deciding between the refurbished NEC and HP. Went for the HP because its new, has everything I need, and is a great all-around monitor (especially for $600 USD new). I just didn't want to risk dropping $600 on a refurbished monitor.

how is the 2490wuxi compared to the 2475w?
colors, high-freq noise, viewangles, shifting ect

The 2490wuxi is superior in every way to the 2475w, except for average input lag and black levels (from the reviews I have seen). It also has HDCP support while the 2490wuxi is questionable (it may have it, but it's not listed in the specs).

The 2490wuxi is superior in every way to the 2475w, except for average input lag and black levels (from the reviews I have seen).

What is left? NEC has more accurate color representation due to its 72% sRGB gamut. It has better viewing angles as far as I have read. Other than that, what are the other differences? I that it does carry a hefty price tag.

So I got the HP LP2475w from that ebay link i posted earlier and everything went smooth and arrived brand new and in perfect condition! Wohooo! Been using the screen for a few days now and ran a bunch of tests. It's perfect! I love it. Nice colors, brightness...etc
Gonna start photo editing in a couple of weeks so we'll see how that goes.

What manufacture date / rev did you get from the ebay seller? I thought about picking one up there, but was worried they might be older models.

What is left? NEC has more accurate color representation due to its 72% sRGB gamut. It has better viewing angles as far as I have read. Other than that, what are the other differences? I that it does carry a hefty price tag.

AT-W Polarizer, internal LUT, more OSD control, option to turn off overdirve, possibly better average panel uniformity due to quality control. The first 2 are the big ones though.

I see, thats some good specs compared to the 2475. My first choice is the nec 2490 now.
Its about 850 euro here. Anything compared to this nec is maybe a Eizo 24 inch, but around 1000 euro they are all *va displays. So the nec is still a winner i think...

I will calibrate with a spyder and eye-one.

I see, thats some good specs compared to the 2475. My first choice is the nec 2490 now.
Its about 850 euro here. Anything compared to this nec is maybe a Eizo 24 inch, but around 1000 euro they are all *va displays. So the nec is still a winner i think...

I will calibrate with a spyder and eye-one.

Go for the NEC. Great all-around monitor, just a bit older than some of the other models.

Back