Is it always the best idea to choose Microcenter over Newegg?

I just realized that there is a Microcenter nearby, about an hour drive. Is it always best just to get my parts there instead?

Well if the part(s) are cheaper, then yes if not then get it elsewhere.

Yeah pretty much go where ever you get the better deals, especially after tax, gas, and your time is factored in.

I wish I had a Microcenter by me, as I'm a little sour on Newegg right now. Tried to buy some parts from them but the transaction failed because their bullshit "verified by VISA" script they run on their site timed-out in the middle and didn't complete. I even got an Email from Newegg basically saying, " Thank you for shopping at Newegg your order #(whatever) has been approved and will be shipped soon" then the next day got an email saying my order was cancelled because it wasn't verified by VISA.

And YES, my card is in good standing, enough available balance, used before at Newegg, not past due, etc, etc, etc.

And why the F%^* do I need a FACEBOOK script running on my e-commerce site. Jesus H. Christ.

/end rant

Tried to buy some parts from them but the transaction failed because their bullshit "verified by VISA" script they run on their site timed-out in the middle and didn't complete. I even got an Email from Newegg basically saying, " Thank you for shopping at Newegg your order #(whatever) has been approved and will be shipped soon" then the next day got an email saying my order was cancelled because it wasn't verified by VISA.

And YES, my card is in good standing, enough available balance, used before at Newegg, not past due, etc, etc, etc.

I hate that crap too...what makes it worse is that my last few orders through Newegg got a hold put on it by my credit card company as a fraud prevention method...so I needed to call my CC company and verify that I placed the order before it was allowed to process on Newegg...very annoying

It's generally cheap if you are only buying a processor by itself. However, I've found that for 99% of my purchases, if I can get free shipping from newegg, it is cheaper to get it from newegg. The lack of tax and shipping + combo deals (cpu+mobo), will usually allow you to get things cheaper from newegg.

Microcenter price matches newegg, but I haven't been able to get them to price match post taxes.

wats so good about microcenter

Micro Center generally has lower prices on processors than NewEgg, and lately, it has offered bundle deals comparable to (if not better than) NewEgg's. Additionally, depending on the store, you can have MC price-match with NewEgg, or you can obtain a discount (again, depending on the store) for buying all of your components (to build an entire computer).

from my experience Microcenter does not have better prices...newegg is always the best when it comes to prices...the only time I go to Microcenter is when I do want to wait for shipping

from my experience Microcenter does not have better prices...newegg is always the best when it comes to prices...the only time I go to Microcenter is when I do want to wait for shipping

Well then you aren't looking hard enough.

What are/were you looking for? Micro Center has been selling both Intel and AMD processors for considerably less -- even after factoring in shipping costs and taxes -- than NewEgg.

In my current build experience Microcenter had an unbeatable cpu + mobo deal. For everything else though I bought it off Newegg.

I would say Micro Center. The money you save over having to pay for shipping (especially on large items like cases and power supplies) really makes a difference. And even if item X is the same price @ Newegg and Microcenter after you factor in tax and shipping, would you rather pay $15 to UPS or $15 in taxes to support your state's economy?

I would say Micro Center. The money you save over having to pay for shipping (especially on large items like cases and power supplies) really makes a difference. And even if item X is the same price @ Newegg and Microcenter after you factor in tax and shipping, would you rather pay $15 to UPS or $15 in taxes to support your state's economy?

In most cases, you get free shipping and unless you live in a State where Newegg charges taxes you get a better deal through Newegg.

As someone else mentioned, the CPUs and CPU/Motherboard deals at Microcenter are nearly unbeatable.

Back