Is Corsair XMS 3500 BH-5 or CH-5?

allenwr1505

Weaksauce
I have some Corsair XMS 3500 v1.1, and I'm curious as to whether it's BH-5 or CH-5. I had two sticks of BH-5, but I damaged one and had it replaced. The new stick that I recieved can run at 2-2-2-11 fine at 400mhz, but can't run at 2-2-2-11 at 434 mhz. It CAN however run at 2-3-2-11 (RAS to CAS is 3) perfectly all the way up to 446 mhz using stock voltage.

I thought that the stick that I recieved was BH-5, but the need for the RAS to CAS setting of 3 at 434mhz makes me suspicious that it is CH-5, since I know that CH-5 needs to have RAS to CAS at 3. What do you guys think?

Also, can CH-5 never run at 2-2-2-11? Because if it can NEVER run at that, then mine must be BH-5, since I can run it at those timings at 400 mhz fsb. I can get the stick to run stably at 450mhz 2-2-2-11, but it takes 2.8v, whereas my other stick can run 446mhz 2-2-2-11 at default voltage.

Also, does new memory require a "burn in" time? That might be affecting my results.

It's probally BH-5 CH-5 usually dosn't go that high.

in all honesty though 2-3-2-11 won't affect performance that much anyway. do you notice it being slower? (other than benchmark scores) if not, don't worry so much about it..

hell i say put it at 2.8v and OC as far as you can!

Take off the heatspreader and read what is says on the chips. That's the only way to find out.

The fact that you can run fine at 2-2-2-11 at 400MHz already shows that you have either BH-5 or BH-6 chips since no other chip can do those kind of timings.

That and the fact that IIRC, if your Corsair PC3200/3500 is a Rev. 1.1, it's definitely a BH-5 chip.

Allright. So, most likely they're BH-5. That's what the Ram Guy from Corsair told me. I was just checking to be sure, because I thought BH-5 should be able to run 2-2-2-11 at the same speeds that it could run 2-3-2-11.

Anyways, in case you were wondering how I managed to get the BH-5, read on.

I bought two sticks of XMS 3500 v1.1 in July. Both of them ran pretty well, getting to 446mhz 2-2-2-11 stock voltage. The max I pushed them on my mobo was 470mhz 2-2-2-11 with 2.9v. However, then I put one of them in a computer that my friend was building, and the powersupply must have been crap, because it damaged my memory. It wouldn't work at very high speeds anymore. So, I asked Corsair for a RMA. I talked to the Ram Guy, and it turns out that their office was only a couple of minutes from my house. Even though I told the Ram Guy that I thought I damaged it by a bad power supply, he agreed to take it back and give me a new one. He said that he would have to look because they were no longer producing XMS 3500 since Winbond is no longer making memory. The next day, he had a new stick for me, which is the one I was talking about in my previous post. Oh, and when I picked it up, he gave me a tour of Corsair! I got to see how they made memory.

I was surprised that he spent all that time testing my memory and looking for another module when it's only a $80 stick. And on top of that, he gave me a tour.

Talk about good warranty!

Originally posted by allenwr1505
Talk about good warranty!

Yup. Ramguy always go Beyond warranty. I once bought a Corsair XMS2400 256m module in a forum. I already had a stick. So when the stick came in, I notice that what I bought was a generic memory module even if supported 2400 speed.

I try to talk to the person who sold it to me. Naturally, the communication got sour, because he was accusing me of theft. He went public on the forum. etc....

So I went to Corsair forum. Ramguy register itself to the forum in question. He told me that if I sent the stick to him and it tested as not to be Corsair he would give me a True XMS2400 memory module wich he did. He even ship it 2day to Canada.

Since then Corsair as almost all my business.

Originally posted by camay123
Yup. Ramguy always Beyond warranty. I once bought a Corsair XMS2400 256m module in a forum. I already had a stick. So when the stick came, I notice that what I bought was a generic memory module even tought it support the 2400 speed.

I try to talk to the person who sold it to. Naturally, the communication got sour, because he was accusing me of theft. He went public on the forum. etc....

So I went to Corsair forum. Ramguy register itself to the forum were was the problem. He told me that if I sent the stick to him and it tested as not to be Corsair he would give me a True XMS2400 memory module wich he did. He even ship it 2day to Canada.

Since then Corsair as almost all my business.

Whichever way i turn my monitor, i fail to comprehend what the fuck that means.

Give him a break... he's probably from the quebec side of that region, not the ontario side...

Oh, and btw, if he reads that: "Go Leafs Go!!!"
Chiarelli is going to be wearing a leafs jersey at the end of the series (our cities' mayors had a wager, lol)

Originally posted by evilnickwong
The fact that you can run fine at 2-2-2-11 at 400MHz already shows that you have either BH-5 or BH-6 chips since no other chip can do those kind of timings.

Is that because the Corsair CH-5 I used to have ran 2-2-2-11 at 420FSB?

Originally posted by M4d-K10wN

His first language may not be english, and especially so, you should be giving him credit because chances are you aren't as fluent in another language as he is in english... Posts like that aren't necessary man ;)

not to be a mini-mod or anything :\

As far as 2-2-2-x timings, newer CH-5 is known to hit those timings on a fairly regular basis... The new CH-5 is doing better than the older stuff, but the voltage regulators are what (i think) is holding 'em back...

Originally posted by M4d-K10wN

I corected a few syntax errors.

Oh, and btw, if he reads that: "Go Leafs Go!!!"
Chiarelli is going to be wearing a leafs jersey at the end of the series (our cities' mayors had a wager, lol)

eh . Im from Gatineau, QC and im a Habs fan. I really dont care if the Sens wins or not, but I would prefer to have a Habs-Leafs match up in the near future. :)

His first language may not be english, and especially so, you should be giving him credit because chances are you aren't as fluent in another language as he is in english...

Yes. French is my first and everyday language.

Back