is anyone giving up on windows already?;)

^^ so boot to desktop and no metro? Is it really that hard, people make it sound like you have no options and are forced to use Metro for everything you do!

Nope, no reason too, it works for me, and runs smooth as butter, supports anything i throw at it, i am even using windows 8.1 preview, metro doesn't bother me since seldom ever see it anyways.

Some people just hate MS cause it is the "in" thing to do.

8 and 8.1 (RTM) works great for me, as well. Obviously not for everyone, though. And not because hating Microsoft is the in thing. Even people that could care less about Microsoft and only use their computers for hunting forums, email and Craigslist hate it and ask if I can get them back to Windows 7.

Boot to desktop works fine in 8.1. But, people have a hard time finding things in 8. I can see why... There are times when I'm looking for something, and it's in a different location that you would think. I do see Metro more than I should at times, though. It will pop up and I have to push the desktop app again to get back to work (not randomly, but after launching a different app and closing it).

Boot to desktop works fine in 8.1. But, people have a hard time finding things in 8. I can see why... There are times when I'm looking for something, and it's in a different location that you would think. I do see Metro more than I should at times, though. It will pop up and I have to push the desktop app again to get back to work (not randomly, but after launching a different app and closing it).

Can you point out a specific example where a modern app opened when you weren't expecting it?

No. Also, in all seriousness, why would I? If I need linux, they run great in a Virtualbox VM. (This is with my FX 8320 at 4.3GHz with 16GB of ram.) AMD virtualization support is fantastic. Also, I have Win7, Vista and XP all virtualized as well.

for me i just use windows key and start typing the app i want, and i am a task bar whore though, i use it enough, it is pinned to my task bar :D

for me i just use windows key and start typing the app i want, and i am a task bar whore though, i use it enough, it is pinned to my task bar :D

Me too. And actually an area where the Start Screen I think is better than the Start Menu because it allows for MANY more shortcuts that are quickly accessible, even to keyboard and mouse driven devices.

^^ so boot to desktop and no metro? Is it really that hard, people make it sound like you have no options and are forced to use Metro for everything you do!

Nope, no reason too, it works for me, and runs smooth as butter, supports anything i throw at it, i am even using windows 8.1 preview, metro doesn't bother me since seldom ever see it anyways.

Some people just hate MS cause it is the "in" thing to do.

I personally don't hate MS. I dislike how much they charge for their products. Which is why I use open source when I can. I also use win 8 due to the fact it released at 40 bux. I still plan on merging to Linux even if I have to do a dual boot system to game like I want.

so what's it going to be??
have you give up, or will, or already, or almost gave up on windows? what are your plans for your future os, a mac?
Why? There are good 3rd party solutions now and probably in the future to tweak the OS to most peoples needs.

I personally don't hate MS. I dislike how much they charge for their products. Which is why I use open source when I can. I also use win 8 due to the fact it released at 40 bux. I still plan on merging to Linux even if I have to do a dual boot system to game like I want.

I dont think they charge that much, when you consider what the core OS does so you can use your computer and all of the applications with it..

Open source is great, but as usual, every other *nix head thinks they can do it better and comes out with 1millionth version of *nix (cause the world always seems to need 1 more!) instead of truly combining their talents to take over the market. Ubuntu has made great strides.. but still lacks to the avg joe blow it seems.

People dont like change, even between windows version, now give someone an entirely new OS...

If you are giving up on windows you only have 1 choice, chrome. That's it. You want to use Linux distros? Sure go ahead, nothing is going to change for them for decades, if you wanted to use them this thread wouldn't even exist because you would have been using it since you started computing.

Mac OS is the same deal it will be the same forever. Limited hardware support limited driver functionality, limited options. OSX has no chance of becoming the main stream OS it wants to be.

So that leaves Chrome in the rought shape it is in, but the one bright spot on chrome is the fact that a huge corporation is backing it, it has open hardware and so will be able to fill the different roles an OS needs to fill.

For me I am sticking with windows till it becomes more clear if google will be successful. The only other option is maybe google will do what they should have done the whole time and just made android into an desktop OS.

If you are giving up on windows you only have 1 choice, chrome. That's it. You want to use Linux distros? Sure go ahead, nothing is going to change for them for decades, if you wanted to use them this thread wouldn't even exist because you would have been using it since you started computing.

Mac OS is the same deal it will be the same forever. Limited hardware support limited driver functionality, limited options. OSX has no chance of becoming the main stream OS it wants to be.

So that leaves Chrome in the rought shape it is in, but the one bright spot on chrome is the fact that a huge corporation is backing it, it has open hardware and so will be able to fill the different roles an OS needs to fill.

For me I am sticking with windows till it becomes more clear if google will be successful. The only other option is maybe google will do what they should have done the whole time and just made android into an desktop OS.

I can't imagine Chrome being a replacement for Windows for any one of us here. Maybe for the web and facebook folks but Chrome is very intentionally a super-minimalist, web-based OS and I haven't seen too many indications that Google wants to change that. So everything people don't like about Windows 8 can be found in Chrome IMO.

One thing is for certain: Google *will* be getting increasingly more aggressive with an x86 based offering in the next few years. Whether that's Android, Chrome or something else, and whether its intended to be a direct keyboard/mouse competitor for Windows or not remains to be seen, but my programmer friend at Intel tells me there's a lot of collaboration going on. Android on x86 is already happening, there are already products in the pipeline, but whether they bother going after Windows eventually is a big question mark.

Last edited:
Can we stop with these flambait threads, AndreRio? *one more added to ignore list*

If you've ever used Windows 8 you'd know how much basic functionality of the OS is tied into tossing out the desktop in order to "throw up" a full screen Metro page to do simple tasks. That's absolutely retarded and indefensible for an OS running on non-tablet hardware.

Can you point out a specific example where a modern app opened when you weren't expecting it?

Where it would go to the Start Screen when closing an app (desktop or Metro), when I was working on desktop. No specific examples at the top of my head, but Win8.1 supposedly has a fix for that (boot to desktop, return to desktop on closing app), but I've yet to find it (Running 8.1 RTM). Also, boot to desktop option isn't as easy to find, either... :) Things are getting better, but it's those small things (custom picture on Metro background or same as desktop, boot to desktop, etc..) that should have been with the Windows 8 release. It would have made the launch a bit better. Small things that probably didn't take a lot of time, either, and they make a big difference. But, at least they are fixing it now. Like I've always said - it'll take time to evolve and mature into a great OS. It's good now, but not great.

One thing is for certain: Google *will* be getting increasingly more aggressive with an x86 based offering in the next few years. Whether that's Android, Chrome or something else, and whether its intended to be a direct keyboard/mouse competitor for Windows or not remains to be seen, but my programmer friend at Intel tells me there's a lot of collaboration going on. Android on x86 is already happening, there are already products in the pipeline, but whether they bother going after Windows eventually is a big question mark.

Unless it's REALLY good, I'd rather go with Linux that an Android/Chrome OS. I can't judge without the thing even being done yet, but I find Linux to be a great alternative to Windows. I prefer Windows, but Linux is a great #2 (I use Debian).

Where it would go to the Start Screen when closing an app (desktop or Metro), when I was working on desktop. No specific examples at the top of my head, but Win8.1 supposedly has a fix for that (boot to desktop, return to desktop on closing app), but I've yet to find it (Running 8.1 RTM). Also, boot to desktop option isn't as easy to find, either... :) Things are getting better, but it's those small things (custom picture on Metro background or same as desktop, boot to desktop, etc..) that should have been with the Windows 8 release. It would have made the launch a bit better. Small things that probably didn't take a lot of time, either, and they make a big difference. But, at least they are fixing it now. Like I've always said - it'll take time to evolve and mature into a great OS. It's good now, but not great.

The boot to desktop and return to the desktop when closing a full screen modern app are the same setting. The option was only boot to desktop in the 8.1 Preview but does both now. When running modern apps side by side you don't return to the desktop and there is the blank space left over from the closed modern app. However clicking or tapping that blank area does bring up the Start Screen.

I dont think they charge that much, when you consider what the core OS does so you can use your computer and all of the applications with it..

Open source is great, but as usual, every other *nix head thinks they can do it better and comes out with 1millionth version of *nix (cause the world always seems to need 1 more!) instead of truly combining their talents to take over the market. Ubuntu has made great strides.. but still lacks to the avg joe blow it seems.

People dont like change, even between windows version, now give someone an entirely new OS...

When I've given people Linux on a machine, they don't mind the new OS. It's the lack of self reliance. They see that it doesn't have Office, so they want Windows. They are lazy (or don't know how) and don't want to do a quick Google search for an alternative. Same with other software. They just don't want to do the work. They want a CD, install, and have the software. That's where Linux fails. There is TONS of software out there, some free some not, but it's just not in your face as Windows software is. You want Windows software? Amazon, Newegg, Walmart. You want Linux software? Google search, find the SourceForge, download and install (which can be simple or complex). The average user can't add repositories and use apt-get or yum.

From a usability perspective, it's fine. They can learn the OS. That's the easy part. Very easy with some desktop managers (KDE, for example, is super easy). And once you have those apps installed, they are easy to use.

If you've ever used Windows 8 you'd know how much basic functionality of the OS is tied into tossing out the desktop in order to "throw up" a full screen Metro page to do simple tasks. That's absolutely retarded and indefensible for an OS running on non-tablet hardware.

I used windows 8 for ages up until i moved to 8.1 preview when it came out. I don't see the issue with metro, i may see it 2-3 times in a night (4-6 hours) sitting at my computer because what i use often is pinned to my task bar or open, and if i do need something, i don't notice any slow downs hitting windows key and typing the app i need, same thing i do at work now on my windows 7 system.

When I've given people Linux on a machine, they don't mind the new OS. It's the lack of self reliance. They see that it doesn't have Office, so they want Windows. They are lazy (or don't know how) and don't want to do a quick Google search for an alternative. Same with other software. They just don't want to do the work. They want a CD, install, and have the software. That's where Linux fails. There is TONS of software out there, some free some not, but it's just not in your face as Windows software is. You want Windows software? Amazon, Newegg, Walmart. You want Linux software? Google search, find the SourceForge, download and install (which can be simple or complex). The average user can't add repositories and use apt-get or yum.

From a usability perspective, it's fine. They can learn the OS. That's the easy part. Very easy with some desktop managers (KDE, for example, is super easy). And once you have those apps installed, they are easy to use.

I think a few years back they have done some test where they put new users in front of windows, linux and OS* / X boxes and people found them all the same to use as long as they knew where the Internet icon was. For new users, i think they are all the same really, beyond home users though since MS own the business world, linux should just ignore and stick to being the server work horse it is, i love my centos / nginx boxes! and pfsense firewalls and such and hit the home user, would be nice if some of the big guys did some marketing, Ubuntu, CentOs and those guys.. get the word out dammit!

For a normal person, Linux is not an option. Let's forget Linux, unless we want to laugh at LOTD again.
Macs are too expensive and once again they don't apply, so OSX is out.

Win 8.1 is definitely a very good OS, but Win 7 is such a great OS that for the vast majority there's no reason to upgrade. For a new user, buying a new pc or building one, not choosing 8.1 is insane. It's the most modern OS, is fast and capable.

Everyone agrees ModernUI is a love/hate thing, and after owning a touch enabled Ultrabook, I can say I don't really use it much. The apps I do use, like Netflix, some news apps etc, are well designed, but the side docking etc is not very functional and I still don't see a need for combining both environments in such a clumsy way. The big issue with 8.1 is it still intimidates new users.

And btw, Win 8.1 is faster and lighter than both OSX and any Linux (with GUI), most open source freeware runs better on Windows. I can't imagine switching to anything else.

Win 8.1 is definitely a very good OS, but Win 7 is such a great OS that for the vast majority there's no reason to upgrade. For a new user, buying a new pc or building one, not choosing 8.1 is insane. It's the most modern OS, is fast and capable.

This is similar to something else we make fun of. Some of us are on the bleeding edge, we want the latest and greatest even when it's not really time or much reason to upgrade. The other ones that do it - Apple users in line for a new iPhone when it's released. Even if contract is not up, they want the newest one. Same with OS's lately. They want the latest and greatest and will pay for it. Even if the previous version is amazing and has no problems.

For some users, they should stay with Windows 7. No real reason to upgrade. But, if you are buying a new PC anyway, go with 8.1. For the enthusiasts, a lot of us have moved to 8.1. Maybe not in line, but we've tried the previews and bought the final bits when released.

Everyone agrees ModernUI is a love/hate thing, and after owning a touch enabled Ultrabook, I can say I don't really use it much. The apps I do use, like Netflix, some news apps etc, are well designed, but the side docking etc is not very functional and I still don't see a need for combining both environments in such a clumsy way. The big issue with 8.1 is it still intimidates new users.

The side by side apps thing is actually much cooler in 8.1. The new Reading List app which is a way to store links into many apps that support the share contract, the new Search, screen, etc. can be snapped to the side while opening the appropriate application. IE 11 can split of tabs into side by side views. I liked docking the Xbox Music app in 8 but that just didn't work with the lack of multiple monitor support for modern apps in 8.

With a good modern version of Office I honestly could see a LOT of folks working mostly in modern UI even on a multiple screen keyboard and mouse driven desktop.

The side by side apps thing is actually much cooler in 8.1. The new Reading List app which is a way to store links into many apps that support the share contract, the new Search, screen, etc. can be snapped to the side while opening the appropriate application. IE 11 can split of tabs into side by side views. I liked docking the Xbox Music app in 8 but that just didn't work with the lack of multiple monitor support for modern apps in 8.

With a good modern version of Office I honestly could see a LOT of folks working mostly in modern UI even on a multiple screen keyboard and mouse driven desktop.

I definitely see myself using the docked Metro apps much more with multiple monitors. Unfortunately right now I'm just using laptops so its not so easy to see that benefit.

I'm predicting that the next update will remove the stupid restriction on ModernUI apps limited to fullscreen/dock only, since we know there's no technical reason they can't run windowed.

Yay, yet another windows thread.

No I'm not giving up windows. Every computer in my house runs windows. Mine runs win 8 others all run 7 (and 1 WHS box)

At work I use linux

My hatred of Windows 8 pretty much ended after I spent the minute and a half it took to download and install a start menu replacement.

C'mon people, everything that can be said about Windows 8 has been said by now. It's really time to move on.

The time it takes for you to type up yet another criticism of Metro that everyone has said and heard a thousand times before, you could have spent installing Startisback instead.

I definitely see myself using the docked Metro apps much more with multiple monitors. Unfortunately right now I'm just using laptops so its not so easy to see that benefit.

I'm predicting that the next update will remove the stupid restriction on ModernUI apps limited to fullscreen/dock only, since we know there's no technical reason they can't run windowed.

While things with the modern UI can still be improved and include more option I don't think that just replicating the desktop is what the modern UI needs to be. We've had tons of free floating windows all over the place for years. That's not to say it's bad but smarter was to manage and displays apps isn't exactly a bad idea. The 8.1 handles snapping is actually pretty nice. Sections of the screen essentially become view ports and it's simple to swap apps in and out the various sections. It's good enough to support good old keyboard and mouse work for a lot of people, with the right apps of course.

This is similar to something else we make fun of. Some of us are on the bleeding edge, we want the latest and greatest even when it's not really time or much reason to upgrade. The other ones that do it - Apple users in line for a new iPhone when it's released. Even if contract is not up, they want the newest one. Same with OS's lately. They want the latest and greatest and will pay for it. Even if the previous version is amazing and has no problems.

For some users, they should stay with Windows 7. No real reason to upgrade. But, if you are buying a new PC anyway, go with 8.1. For the enthusiasts, a lot of us have moved to 8.1. Maybe not in line, but we've tried the previews and bought the final bits when released.

Bingo!

I use nothing but desktop apps have no desire to buy into another platform store ecosystem. There is No additions to Windows Desktop I am simply not inclined to update to a platform that doesn't present me with a legit reason to upgrade.
Only reason why I use 8 is because RSAT doesn't work in 7 for Server 2012. BS IMHO. Since I now use majority of functions through powershell I just autostart the powershell window. 8 Provides 0 incentives to those that use the desktop thus I find no reason to take the time and format my own personal desktop to 8 even tho I have 25 Licenses for Windows 8 Enterprise and SPLA licensing for my servers.
To those that have no interest in using consumer apps I find 8 is a great waste and since 100% of managed networks have GPO of Windows Store = Disabled. I can find the justification of even bothering with it.
I am extremely disappointed that MS didn't include a built Server option for a Mini store for licensed or approved software for Intranet.
Business case for Windows 8 is very weak to the point where I frankly feel there is no case what so ever. Yet MS still insist of force feeding this BS down my throat.

Ironically all new Windows Server Applications are now standard compliant, New Sharepoint, New Dynamics, Exchange run better and in full compatibility compliance on Non Windows environments. I have been so impressed with the functionality in Linux, MacOSX, iOS, Android that I am backing away from suggesting to even running Windows machines for people especially ones that do only basics on the desktop like Check email and or create minor documents. I am finding second life in old machine using Linux and thin stations. I am moving more and more clients to centralized computing platform in order to improve quality of service and ultimately to save money.

I recently bought a pallet of used Core 2 Duo and Quad Dell Optiplexes for 150 dollars a piece (Includes drives and Windows 7).

I am not giving up on Microsoft Products but I am definetley putting a lot less emphasis on using Desktop computing.

One thing Windows 8.1 does better than Windows 7 on the desktop, independent multiple monitor support. The Start Screen and task bar work well there. Of course if you're putting less emphasis on desktops, you're kind of making Microsoft's point with Windows 8.

One thing Windows 8.1 does better than Windows 7 on the desktop, independent multiple monitor support. The Start Screen and task bar work well there. Of course if you're putting less emphasis on desktops, you're kind of making Microsoft's point with Windows 8.

To bad that less the <.0001% Use multimonitor setups including my self. Consumers using multimonitor setup is basically non existent.
I had two 23" monitors got rid of them Replaced both with 1 29" Dell WM monitor Much better setup. I never had a problem with the way 7 handled multimonitors any way, to me its not a huge deal.

I didn't make any point for windows 8. I still use windows os, they are just VDI, and App virtualization. Maybe I should have been clear, I am moving away from Desktop Hardware. There is no point in it any more.
There is also no point in buying new hardware either because computing has peaked for the average user and most people don't want to learn a new platform especially one that is as convoluted as 8.
Metro is a dead duck in the business market. Why pay microsoft any more money if I can use Microsoft own products in compliant browser on any platform or an app on a consumption device?
Instead of making the desktop relevant and the power it holds and be available to any device (android, ios, etc.) MS is trying to reinvent the wheel by pushing their own vision on everyone else and everyone is rebelling. I still ask my question why is it so difficult for my self to access my own PC (domain independent) on a mobile device with out some 3rd party service? Domain wise its easy but then people don't want to spend 5-10k to do that either.

You are absolutely correct and one of the things I now take for granted.

And what Windows version would that be? And don't say Windows 8/8.1 because that doesn't fit the bill. Heatlesssun reply in 3, 2, 1....

Or the fact I don't want a windows phone, nor a tablet, nor a defunct shitastic zune. Unification means shit if you have different platforms. Why it was so difficult for them to just include a "compatibility" option?

To bad that less the <.0001% Use multimonitor setups including my self. Consumers using multimonitor setup is basically non existent.
I had two 23" monitors got rid of them Replaced both with 1 29" Dell WM monitor Much better setup. I never had a problem with the way 7 handled multimonitors any way, to me its not a huge deal.

Making up some ridiculously low percentage doesn't prove anything. Multiple monitors are standard equipment where I work. We primarily use laptops with docking stations and multiple monitors. And I always find it odd that people that are focused on getting work done, something that is a useful and productive and multiple monitors gets discounted in the 8 debate.

Maybe I should have been clear, I am moving away from Desktop Hardware. There is no point in it any more.

If you think that there is no point in desktop hardware anymore then you are indeed making a very strong case for Microsoft in regards to Windows 8.

You are absolutely correct and one of the things I now take for granted.

It's just amazing how so many people will complain about 8 not being suited for productivity and discount the great productivity enchantments that multiple monitors bring. Some of this is just getting ridiculous.

Making up some ridiculously low percentage doesn't prove anything. Multiple monitors are standard equipment where I work. We primarily use laptops with docking stations and multiple monitors. And I always find it odd that people that are focused on getting work done, something that is a useful and productive and multiple monitors gets discounted in the 8 debate.

If you think that there is no point in desktop hardware anymore then you are indeed making a very strong case for Microsoft in regards to Windows 8.

Again multiple monitors is your choice and the clients I look out after have very few again less then a thousand of a percent. You may find it useful I don't I prefer a larger screen then two smaller ones. 29" Ultra wide monitor is far superior to my 2 23" screens. Aka Large screen paradox. I also have my monitor Vertically oriented. Also my 23" monitors made my desk unbelievably cluttered. Especially when you have 4 of them.

Again its your anecdotal evidence vs mine.

If you haven't looked at the financial sheets at Microsoft you would have noticed its the server stuff that's picking up the failing windows division. Windows 8 is a poor justification in design and direction for the continuing decline in Windows Desktop dominance (vs portables) So technically MS server division is slicing its own Windows wrists. Again I ask what the point of Windows Desktop OS if I can do everything I need inside a Web browser or a Published app ? I still buy Microsoft products but that only means I don't buy Windows Desktop Hardware and licensing. MS is pushing Cloud computing O365 and other online services where computing is taken away from individuals machines, what's the point of Windows 8 then ? MS is sodmizing itself with its own strategy, Windows 8 make absolutely no sense and this goes two fold for Business cases for Windows 8.

How can any one justify buying 8 for business? Store will be disabled, Metro apps uninstalled, users need to be retrained, IT staff need to be retrained, possible additional costs for third party apps to give functionality previously in Windows. The best you came up with is Multimonitor support. How about people that hate the ribbon on the desktop (con)
VS
Centralized computing, user logs onto a website clicks on app that she/he is familiar or logs into a VDI/RDS session of a familiar OS and functionality on a platform that's may or maybe not be a MS product and access those resources ANY WHERE IN THE WORLD. (That's how you stay relevant with Desktop Computing)

I work in Canada and lots of my regulations basically tie my hands and cloud or MS office or any cloud is out of the question if its not in Canada. Unless MS can guarantee that my clients info will never leave Canada with a Financially backed SLA.

If 8 is a sign of what's to come in 9 then MS is going to come to a Wall of IT departments getting stalled out indefinitely on upgrading.

Consumers I don't give a shit about and obviously consumers don't really give a shit about MS.

Again multiple monitors is your choice and the clients I look out after have very few again less then a thousand of a percent. You may find it useful I don't I prefer a larger screen then two smaller ones. 29" Ultra wide monitor is far superior to my 2 23" screens. Aka Large screen paradox. I also have my monitor Vertically oriented. Also my 23" monitors made my desk unbelievably cluttered. Especially when you have 4 of them.

Again its your anecdotal evidence vs mine.

No it's not. There's plenty of evidence that multiple monitor use has been increasing for some time especially in the business world and while not a large number it's astronomically larger than your made up number: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/08/t...-monitors-improve-office-efficiency.html?_r=0.

Data collected through the Windows Feedback Program indicates that approximately 14% of desktop PCs and approximately 5% of laptop PCs have run with multiple monitors. It is important to note that this particular opt-in data set is enthusiast-leaning so represents the high end of usage (relative to previously shared measures that look at the entire universe of PCs), but we thought we would share this data set to reinforce another data source.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/05/21/enhancing-windows-8-for-multiple-monitors.aspx

If you haven't looked at the financial sheets at Microsoft you would have noticed its the server stuff that's picking up the failing windows division. Windows 8 is a poor justification in design and direction for the continuing decline in Windows Desktop dominance (vs portables) So technically MS server division is slicing its own Windows wrists. Again I ask what the point of Windows Desktop OS if I can do everything I need inside a Web browser or a Published app ? I still buy Microsoft products but that only means I don't buy Windows Desktop Hardware and licensing. MS is pushing Cloud computing O365 and other online services where computing is taken away from individuals machines, what's the point of Windows 8 then ? MS is sodmizing itself with its own strategy, Windows 8 make absolutely no sense and this goes two fold for Business cases for Windows 8.

How can any one justify buying 8 for business? Store will be disabled, Metro apps uninstalled, users need to be retrained, IT staff need to be retrained, possible additional costs for third party apps to give functionality previously in Windows. The best you came up with is Multimonitor support. How about people that hate the ribbon on the desktop (con)
VS
Centralized computing, user logs onto a website clicks on app that she/he is familiar or logs into a VDI/RDS session of a familiar OS and functionality on a platform that's may or maybe not be a MS product and access those resources ANY WHERE IN THE WORLD. (That's how you stay relevant with Desktop Computing)

I work in Canada and lots of my regulations basically tie my hands and cloud or MS office or any cloud is out of the question if its not in Canada. Unless MS can guarantee that my clients info will never leave Canada with a Financially backed SLA.

If 8 is a sign of what's to come in 9 then MS is going to come to a Wall of IT departments getting stalled out indefinitely on upgrading.

Consumers I don't give a shit about and obviously consumers don't really give a shit about MS.

Again, you're saying that you don't see the need for desktops. Why would Microsoft focus on a desktop only OS if there's no need for desktops?

For a normal person, Linux is not an option. Let's forget Linux, unless we want to laugh at LOTD again.

Uh please explain. I know many people who are computer illiterate and use linux daily with no problems.

Personally I stopped using Windows for anything but games years ago. Got tired to being stressed all the time with antiviruses, drive by browser vulnerabilities etc. typical windows crud. Blood pressure better without windows :)

Back