Is an old case worth the effort?

Omlethead

n00b
I have an old Gateway G6-333 case that I would like to modify to fit newer components since the original Pent 2 died a few months back. Any suggestions other than the occasional fan? I know I would have to dremel out a spot for the I/O panel, but that's no biggie, plus it has standard ATX standoffs.

Here's what we have: https://omletheadtigertown.shutterfly.com/pictures/11

What all should I do? Is it worth investing into?

what problem are you trying to solve? is it about saving money? Nostalgia? Seems like a lot of work with none of the benefits of a recent case.

If you had an old case like this, it would be worth it.
sgi.jpg

someone modded theirs awhile back but I never got around to modding mine,
this is the modded one,
sgi_back.jpg

I have an old Gateway G6-333 case that I would like to modify to fit newer components since the original Pent 2 died a few months back. Any suggestions other than the occasional fan? I know I would have to dremel out a spot for the I/O panel, but that's no biggie, plus it has standard ATX standoffs.

Here's what we have: https://omletheadtigertown.shutterfly.com/pictures/11

What all should I do? Is it worth investing into?
Get a new case. Nope. There's $50 cases (i.e the NZXT Source 210 Elite or Source 220) that'll be far far better than anything you could do to that Gateway case.

Thanks for the input guys. I kinda felt like keeping it around, but I guess it is time for a new case after all. :(

Sgi bossmode ��

I have an O2 and an Indigo2 in storage at my parents house. Fairly sure the I2 still works, not sure about the O2 (pipe burst). I always scour eBay for a visual workstation, mainly for nostalgic desire.

(Went to university and all workstations/labs/graphics were sgi. Irix++)

Thanks for the input guys. I kinda felt like keeping it around, but I guess it is time for a new case after all. :(

If you want to mod your existing case, there's nothing wrong with that. If it has ATX standoffs you'd be in pretty good shape to get something functional together. If you want to modernize it somehow (window, relocating components, resizing fan mounts, painting, etc), it will likely end up being more work than you want it to be. I tried completely overhauling my old case. It was a fun project, I learned a lot, but I don't know if I would do it again. Plus the materials ended up being about $50-100 (depending on what you're doing obviously), which is the cost of a new case anyways. Maybe if I was still single with no kids... life happens.

Not knowing what types of components you are putting in there, cooling might be a concern. I got awful temps in my old case until I added all kinds of fans (but that was a ton of work getting them all mounted and fitted right). Modern cases have really done a good job with this. Also, you might want to consider the space you have for graphics cards, PSU, cabling, etc. It may be a bit cramped.

I would totally dig another case restoration project. They're fun. But, considering the time investment, I, personally, would probably opt to just buy a new one these days. Good luck whatever you decide.

EDIT: OP I just saw your link. Looks like a great case to use! Lots of space. You could probably get cooling pretty good with some fans in the front/back(/floor/roof?). Cable management might be a concern.

Hopefully you own a Dremel system, because his might be a fun project, but would be time consuming for sure.....

But with some additional fan mounts, maybe a windowed side panel, and perhaps mod/paint/replace that butt-ugly front panel, you might end up with a decently functional machine :D

I think it depends on what "worth it" is to you. Cheaper than just buying case that fits an ATX motherboard? Probably not, unless you're a master with a dremel and have tons of free time.

If what you want is a unique case for your modern PC, that SGI housing is probably not a bad place to start.

I personally see nothing wrong with wanting to do this. I have an old beige case myself that I've been musing about modding for years to accomplish the same thing.

I agree it won't necessarily save you money, but I think some naysayers are missing the point. Personally I don't want my case to look like the same black rectangle as everyone else's.

Ultimately, it's really up to you. You don't need other people's opinions to validate your own opinion.

I personally wouldn't mod that specific case, but here is what you would need to do in order to have enough airflow to keep newer components cool in it.

1. Make absolutely sure that a rear I/O panel will fit in the place of the old built in one. It actually looks kind of like it is too small of an area to fit a newer I/O panel.

2. Lower front intake - don't necessarily need a fan there, but at least a big hole or a lot of small holes to let air in. These can be behind the plastic. I think it will probably let enough air in without having to mod the plastic as long as the plastic is open on the bottom.

3. Top exhaust fans x 2. 120mm would work fine. Top exhaust fans will evacuate more hot air that any other type of exhaust fan due to the fact that hot air rises. Not top exhaust fan, even if the power supply is mounted in the top of the case and it will build up heat inside the case.

4. Leave all slot covers in the back of the case off. This helps a lot and you will not need a side case intake fan if you do this.

Wiring will be an absolute mess in that case.

If you had an old case like this, it would be worth it.
sgi.jpg

someone modded theirs awhile back but I never got around to modding mine,
this is the modded one,
sgi_back.jpg

that was me actually, I still have that somewhere... I should resurrect that case... was really neat

Back