Is a memory divider bad?

pstang

[H]ard|Gawd
by bad i mean what kind of performance hit do you take, ive always been under the impression that running your FSB and memory at the same speed yielded the best results performance wise

im working on my main rig in my sig and i have my 3200+ oc'd to 2.5 GHz (10 X 250), but i havent had much luck overclocking my memory, ive followed (cf)Eclipse's and tsuehpsyde's guides, but i havent been able to get my memory to oc and pass the Memtest test #5 with anything past 220 MHz, ive tried all kinds of timings, but im running a 5:6 divider on it right now which put the memory at 208 MHz @ 2.5-2-2-8.

No, you will not see a performance hit because the memory controller is integrated into the CPU. This really cuts down on latency. Memory dividers are your friend....

NO, only the right hand side of the equation matters, not the left. IE final resulting frequency is what counts, not how you get there. On top of that most memory performance comes from scaling CPU clock speed, and not memory clock speed. This is because the A64 memory controller is on chip.

thanks guys, i just wanted to make sure i was getting the most performance out of my machine

Back