Is 650 watts enough for my new build?

jsarwar469

n00b
Building a new PC and have a fairly new NZXT psu laying around. Wondering if itll be enough. Newegg PSU calc seems to think so... it's the NZXT 650S PSU

Gigabyte 3090
AMD Ryzen 5700x
32GB DDR4
2TB M2
ITX motherboard
Stock AMD cpu fan
Maybe three case fans..no unnecessary rgb crap

I had an EVGA 850W gold PSU that couldn't handle the transient spikes. I hope it works for you, but at least you know the first thing to change out if your setup crashes a lot in games.

not you guys specifically but 2 years ago everyone was arguing with me about the spikes being an issue, seems a few of those had 3090s...
as was just said if you have a new 7/850w you should be good, older ones ocp may trip from the spikes

I'm running at 3080 (I know it's not a 3090) and a 5800x with a single m.2 as well. I rarely see the draw on my UPS show more than 400w during gaming and that includes one monitor as well.

I wouldnt unless you intend on underclocking a lot.
Pushing a PSU near its max continually isnt a good idea.

I also recommend 750W minimum, if its a very good PSU.
If not a first class design, 850W, but still from a good mfr.

Wasn't that long ago that 650 watts was plenty for just about any rig you wanted to build. Not nowadays. With a 3090 and 5700x I'd want a 750 at least and would probably opt for an 850.

Get a 850-1000 watts. Anything below this and you are probably looking for trouble - if not immediate, then surely after a while.

Back