Is 3 x 480 rads enough to cool 1600 watt?

pclausen

Gawd
I have a mining rig that is currently running 5 x 1080Ti factory water cooled cards on a single 480 rad. I'm way under radded and coolant temp is about 41 C with 20C ambient.

I'm moving everything into a big Thermaltake Core X9 case that can accommodate pretty much whatever I was as far as rads. I plan to add 3 more factory water cooled 1080Tis, but for now I have just 5, but want to design the loop to be able to handle 8 GPUs in the future.

So I was thinking a single loop as follows:

loop_design.PNG

Once I go 8x GPU's I'll probably get another EK FC Terminal.

Should I change the loop to have a rad after each block, or just keep it simple with all of the together in series?

Here what the rig looks like atm:

SeaHawk5GPUs.JPG

Each GPU is sucking down 200W, so 8 x 200 = 1600 w.

Last edited:
I would think so. That is a lot of cooling going on with 3 x 480. I keep it simple. The loop temp once its
all running shouldn't vary that much across the loop. U can always throw in another 480 when u go to 8
vc along with another pump/res.

Only reason i break up the loop would be over flow restrictions. U might want to break it up for
4 cards per loop. with 2 rads per group at that point. I don't have experience with loop that big.
So just guessing.

p.s Impressive looking btw !! Have to post up how it goes when u expend and add the rads!!!

So I got things moved over into the Core X9 case. I thought this would be plenty big, but I was wrong. I'll need to do some modding to fit just a single Zotac on the lower compartment, and I'm not really going to have room in the upper:

core9-11.JPG

It still looks a lot better, even it its current state, that what I had before.

core9-12.JPG

core9-13.JPG

core9-14.JPG

Coolant temp still way high...

core9-15.JPG

That Zotac is adding a lot of back pressure. After adding that as the 5th GPU in the loop, my max flow rate dropped from about 320 l/h to 186 l/h with the D5 running wide open:

RIG_Stats_01.PNG

So I'll look to pick up a 2nd EK 140 PWM like the first one and put them in series.

PSU is pretty well matched to the task through:

PSU_Stats.PNG

I can add one more 240 rad in front of the PSU on the right side, but that's about it. GPU temps aren't bad, averaging mid to upper 40's, but I was hoping for 30's...

Impressive setup, but it's hard for me not to feel a deep burning rage about those five flagship Pascal cards that aren't being used for what they were made for by people who want to use them for that purpose.

Planning on selling any later on? XD

As soon as street dates for the GTX 11xx or 20xx series are announced, absolutely. ;)

Hopefully you don't feel that burning rage about air cooled cards as I have a few of those as well.

1080Ti_stack.JPG

As soon as street dates for the GTX 11xx or 20xx series are announced, absolutely. ;)

Hopefully you don't feel that burning rage about air cooled cards as I have a few of those as well.

1080Ti_stack.JPG
I hate you so much.

Less for the air cooled cards than the watercooled ones, but you've got a sufficient quantity of the air cooled ones to just about even out. XD

Tks for the update looks really really good. With the setup u have i think anything under 50c is a win ! That is a lot of heat u are trying to remove.

If that Zotac is adding that much restriction, may want to just drop it from the loop and add a separate loop for that.
Or at least run a test with out the Zotac and see if your water temps come in line with what you are expecting.

Back