IRQ utility for Windows 7?

Bonksnp

Supreme [H]ardness
Does anybody know of a utility for Win7 that you can run to see what IRQ addresses the COM ports are running on? System Information shows them I know, but theres about 100 devices called "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System" which after a little googling seems could mean anything.

I understand that Win7 tries to virtualize alot of the IRQ ports and I'm having (intermittent) issues with a pair of eSATA HDD's which I think might be cause by this. They are showing up sometimes and after a random amount of time, they disappear. Someone mentioned I should check to see if IRQ ports are conflicting and causing them drives to show up and then disappear again.

I have a feeling I'm going on a wild goose chase, but I thought I would ask anyways.

Device Manager show which IRQ address my COM port is using. When you open up the properties window, the last tab has the information.

You were on the right track just keep on scrolling downwards. Selecting Device Manger to view the resources by connection allows you to see all the IRQ's the system has configure to use. ISA mode IRQ's will be listed before PCI mode IRQ's. The negatives IRQ's will be MSI based, if any are seen. To note, a ISA mode IRQ cannot be be shared, but PCI mode can. The ISA mode IRQ's for the "compliant ACPI system" is for routing, IIRC. Now to note, LPT IRQ's can be virtulized. However, a COM port IRQ's is not but if it is a peripheral card, the COM port is virtual.

I speculate that your eSATA issues are due to other reasons. But I am unsure as to why you need COM ports enabled anyways. That is the first thing I disable in the BIOS-any unused or unnecessary peripheral.

I had a problem similar to yours with my external eSATA hard drive. The problem for me was the hard drive enclosure I was using. It would appear/disappear at random in my computer.

Back