IRQ general questions

jas0nt

Weaksauce
I have a few questions about IRQ (Interrupt Request Line):

1) What PCI bus (as in 1, 2, 3, 4, 5) does an AGP card use?
2) I disabled 2/8 of my USB ports by going to Device Manager. They were sharing the same slot as my video card (slot 16). I disabled it by right clicking on the USB which i wanted to remove > properties > general > device usage > do not use this device (disable). How can I re-enable them on another slot? They are removed from the IRQ list.
3) What IRQ slot does your video card use? Is it being shared with any other device?
4) Can sharing an IRQ slot (with USB ports which aren't being used) with a video card cause potential problems?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cant remeber off the top of my head, but it normally shows you in your BIOS or even in windows....

1) usually 1 and 5, but it depends on your MB specs
2) no idea, except maybe if you disable some serial ports and re-enable the USB then they might pick those ports instead.
3) 11 and no other
4) I believe in WinXP it is no longer a problem, but also as long as you aren't using the USB slots that share with the video card you should be fine.

My Video card and USB share the same IRQ (7), and no problems have been encountered. I have gone the route of disabling USB just to see if there was a difference. None was noted.

A lot of problems with IRQs are due to the drivers for individual devices. Most devices are happy campers sharing IRQs, a few are not (cough, Creative, cough). If everything works as advertised, don't worry about it.

well... i'm experiencing a lot of crashes (http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=1025689633#post1025689633) and i hoped disabling the IRQs which are being shared with my card will hopefully fix it.

i've tried disabling the two USB ports which were being shared through the device manager interface, and it doesn't seem to have much improvement. the next step i took is disabling it through BIOS, and i'm testing the game's performance right now.

Get into your BIOS and disable anything you're not using. USB's, serial (COM) ports or parallel ports, if you haven't done so already. That should free up some IRQ's for you. If you have Windows XP it should reassign the IRQ's automatically.
Even if you're not using something, Windows will assign it an IRQ if it is enabled in the BIOS.

Back