IPS Vs. AH-IPS ???

D14JEFF

Limp Gawd
i need a new monitor ...... my several year old MAG 22 inch died and i've got a $150ish budget .i was thinking of spending a little more for a refurb 27 incher from newegg ,but they're all TN and i worry about them being grainy plus i was pretty satisfied with the 22 incher . a lot has changed and using forums and google make that clear . it looks like AH-IPS and IPS are the two best visual quality panels available in my price range and since i'm not a big gamer anymore that the 5MS GTG speed is plenty for my purposes . i just got a radeon 270X card , decent but certainly not cutting edge and i',m fine with 1080P . and of course i surf and DVD/BR a bit .

i'm down to 3 monitors (still open to suggestions though) and would like y'alls opinions of them .

ASUS VX229H
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236363

LG 23MP55HQ-P
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005589

ViewSonic VA2349S
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116663

is the AH-ISP screen noticeably a littler better than regular ISP ? or is it a definite difference in visual quality ? if it is i think i'll go with the 21.5 asus . if not i think the extra space on the LG 23 will win . BTW , is viewsonic still a great monitor company ? LG and Asus seem to get lot's of good reviews so i think i'm safe with them .

e-IPS panels (panels formerly used in low end IPS) use grainier matte coatings than most of the newer AH-IPS panels. The Viewsonic likely uses an AH-IPS panel since it is new and LG only makes AH-IPS panels now. I don't know if the Asus and Viewsonic are flicker free.

If you want a matte IPS get the LG 23MP55HQ since it is flicker free (does not use LED PWM Dimming, read about the side effects) and matte LG panels which are usually the best matte options anyway. Also consider the glossy Acer S236hltmjj (review, use Google to translate) which is also flicker free and will look clearer and more vibrant since it uses a reflective, glossy coating.

is the matte/glossy effect you're talking about similar to the matte glossy difference between LCD TVs and plasma TVs ? i have a panasonic plasma tv and chose it partly because of it's more vibrant picture ;) but i'm more comfortable with the LG brand than Acer :( .

is the matte/glossy effect you're talking about similar to the matte glossy difference between LCD TVs and plasma TVs ?

Yes, but not all LCD TV's are matte (don't over generalize), and Acer is fine. The matte coating low end AH-IPS panels is noticeably grainy from normal viewing distances and dulls the colors while the S236HL will remain clear and look more vibrant.

=DEAD= macro coating comparison. Notice how clear the S236HL's pixels look compared to the VN248H, P2341H, VS24AH (most AH-IPS use the same coating as the monitors including the Asus and LG you picked).

Last edited:
i went to bestbuy this morning and looked at their monitors and they had the Acer H6 Series H236HL BID on display and it's on sale this week for $130 .

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-h6...=4751006&productCategoryId=pcmcat143700050048

i like the glossy screens better than the matte ones , they're much more vibrant to my eyes also . but .... is the H236HL flicker free like the Acer S236hltmjj ? does the version with the tmjj at the end have something the other doesn't ? or vice versa ? i can't find anything on their site about either having (or not having) the PWM dimming or being flicker free .

the videos and comments/reviews i found online about the H236HL BID were very positive and make me feel more comfortable about putting my money on a acer monitor . i'm on a very tight budget and i'm trying to get the best quality bang for my buck that i can :)

well ..... to be honest .... i never thought about it on a LCD till it was mentioned . now , back in the CRT days flicker/refresh rate was something to contend with . i never noticed it on my old mag 22 inch lcd though . i also didn't notice it on any of the 2 dozen or so monitors on the wall at bestbuy . .... hmmmm . i guess i'm one of those people that don't notice flicker . :) . but if i can fit flicker free in my budget with my other wants , i'd rather have it then not .

Last edited:
Your MAG is probably CCFL back-lit, and CCFL displays usually don't bother people. Low frequency PWM flicker can be quite obvious like 60hz CRT flicker depending on the individual, and it increases motion blur. Considering how closely priced PWM vs. PWM free displays are (the S236HL was 150$ last week with the H236H), there is usually no reason to buy one with PWM, especially since PWM free displays are always better.

6 bit+FRC, overpriced AH-IPS with 240hz PWM. If you want a matte monitor the Dell P2414H and LG you picked are better.

i just noticed ..... the LG i ordered last night has a "-P" after it , 24MP55HQ-P vs. 24MP55HQ . i think i'm fine in the USA since newegg sells the exact same model to US customers :) . i was wondering if any one can confirm what differences there may be between them ? and also if it uses a 8 bit screen or the 6+ thingy ... and also what version of IPS it uses . i called LG and their "tech"could answer either question ... :(
thanks again

6 bit+FRC, overpriced AH-IPS with 240hz PWM. If you want a matte monitor the Dell P2414H and LG you picked are better.

It is definitely not worth the full price but Asus' quality control seems to work quite well for these. I sold my Fujitsu (got über annoyed with the quirky overdrive) and bought used MX239H. It is good enough for now and at least the overdrive works nicely and it does 76 Hz without frame skipping. Picture quality isn't quite as good though. I can use this as cheap tv (with hdmi dvb-t tuner) when I buy a new screen. It is a decent screen for gaming if you can get it cheap (used) but there are better ones out there. It is getting old too, afaik it is one of the first displays with AH-IPS and also has some cross hatching.

Back