iPhone won't output to TV

overlord20

Gawd
I have searched for the last few days all over the net. Can't find a thing about it. My 5th gen video will output both music and video to any tv, yet my iphone won't output to any TV. I don't really understand why not.

I am using all Apple branded equipment. Universal Doc with AV cables. I just really don't seem to understand what the issue is. There is no "Turn on TV Ouput" on my phone like there is on the iPod but It does have two settings which are widescreen on/off(on) and version ntsc/pal(ntsc).

Any clues guys? I want to use my phone to watch netflix on my TV.

The iPad 1 and I believe the iPhones won't appear to be working correctly until you launch something that's supported for output. Like a photo slideshow or a video.

I have an iPhone 3GS with latest firmware. I plug it into the dock and go to ipod/videos, youtube, or netflix and nothing at all.

Now the AV cable by itself I know doesn't work but according to apple support the av cable in the line out on the universal dock should work.

Something I forgot to mention. When I plug it in, the option to use volume disappears but the video stays plays on the ipod rather then the tv.

Sorry, but it doesn't seem like its compatible with the iPhone 3GS. :(

How does does it not?

ipoddock.png

IF i don't have the dock. The photo I posted says that AV Cable + Universal Dock works with iPhone 3GS.

That support page says the AV cable alone will not work with iPhone but with Universal Dock it will.

Overlord,

you have been provided the correct answer. Iphones do not support AV out via the headphone jack.

As an Iphone owner myself, I had to break down and buy the AV Composite cable at an apple store ($40).

....I know the AV cable will now work via the headphone jack. There is a Line out on the docking station for the AV Cable. My question is why doesn't it work when the photo I posted clearly states that it should work if the AV cable is plugged in through the dock.

The support page again...

ipoddock.png

In the highlighted section is shows that it works. I know through the headphone jack will not work on the iPhone. According to this apple page, through the dock it will.

The AV cable plugs in the far left hole on the docking station.

Update: Apple said it should work, but it doesn't.. They couldn't figure out why so I just returned it. Got the cable without the dock and saved a bit of money.

Back