iPhone Pre-order

My 6+ 64gb Space Grey arrived yesterday. I also ordered the Otterbox defender for 6+ last Saturday morning and it arrived on Halloween as well. Both the phone and case are great except the damn phone will not charge! After the 8.1 update was installed I get the error message for a bad cable. BTW it was working before the update in the truck and on computer. Now when plugged into my USB 3.0 on the desktop it trips my USB header. Off to the Apple store this morning for repairs.

My 6+ 64gb Space Grey arrived yesterday. I also ordered the Otterbox defender for 6+ last Saturday morning and it arrived on Halloween as well. Both the phone and case are great except the damn phone will not charge! After the 8.1 update was installed I get the error message for a bad cable. BTW it was working before the update in the truck and on computer. Now when plugged into my USB 3.0 on the desktop it trips my USB header. Off to the Apple store this morning for repairs.

Suggest doing a full reimage with ipsw using iTunes recovery. OTA update more than often screws up that's why I make it a habit to do full reimage.

Does it work with the included wall charger?

Also both new iPhones will charger at 2A if you use a high current charger. Cuts the charging time nearly in half. Many tablet chargers are 2A.

It did not work with any charger or sync cable. 8.1 installation screwed it up plain and simple. Everything was good before and it turned to shit after the software update. I tried an Ipad power brick and 2 other iphone power bricks and with 3 different cable just to be sure.
This morning at The Apple the store the girl said she hadn't seen or heard of this before but it must be a hardware issue. As soon as she said that I pulled the cable out of the phone and the connector stayed in the phone. Her response was they would replace both items and I was on my way home in about 30 minutes.
BTW The power bricks that come with the new 6 and 6+ phones are 1 amp chargers. If you want faster charging get you an Ipad power brick according to the young lady that help me.

It did not work with any charger or sync cable. 8.1 installation screwed it up plain and simple. Everything was good before and it turned to shit after the software update. I tried an Ipad power brick and 2 other iphone power bricks and with 3 different cable just to be sure.
This morning at The Apple the store the girl said she hadn't seen or heard of this before but it must be a hardware issue. As soon as she said that I pulled the cable out of the phone and the connector stayed in the phone.

So it was clearly a hardware problem if the connector got stuck in the phone...

I have an iPad power brick and an extra one laying around someone. If I get a 6 then I'll finally have a use for them :)

So it was clearly a hardware problem if the connector got stuck in the phone...

Nope, not at all. With the outterbox case it's very hard to grab the connector on the cable and I pulled on the wire not the connector. Ripped it right out of there easily. That same day I purchased a 6" braided cable that has a long connector. No problems now.

It just seems like if the hole in the case was that tight around the connector to actually retain it and snap the cable from you tugging on it, that the case might have kept the lightning connector from sitting correctly in the receptacle. That is, maybe the charging problems were due to the otterbox case and not Apple.

Oh, for fucks sake. Why did I even buy this damn thing.

You'd think for $200 premium going from 16GB to 128GB you'd get premium SLC that lasts a lifetime plus some instead of bottom of the barrel TLC. Tsk tsk...

Specs do matter afterall.

You'd think for $200 premium going from 16GB to 128GB you'd get premium SLC that lasts a lifetime plus some instead of bottom of the barrel TLC. Tsk tsk...

Not to mention that Samsung had the same problem with their S and Note series, and was force to extend the warranty in China by the government because they try to deny the problem.

Well I thought paying another $200 for storage I would never use was a bad investment, given I will upgrade to the 6S+ next also.
I bought the 16GB model and move everything to Google Drive when I need more space.

$200 / 12 mos = $16.66 / mo.
Can't get more wasteful than that.

$16.66/month or half that considering most people keep their phone for the duration of two year contract is actually relatively cheap compared to data overage and there's also the issue of reception and throughput in dense areas. Unless I'm within my own 5GHz 802.11ac WIFI coverage I tend to rely on onboard storage for peace of mind.

$16.66/month or half that considering most people keep their phone for the duration of two year contract is actually relatively cheap compared to data overage and there's also the issue of reception and throughput in dense areas. Unless I'm within my own 5GHz 802.11ac WIFI coverage I tend to rely on onboard storage for peace of mind.

That's where my joy of having unlimited data and no contract with T-Mobile pays for itself.
I have what I need on the phone and the rest I can access on Google Drive later.

I like Tmo but their use of high frequency limits indoor reception. Even with unlimited Verizon on prime low frequency I prefer the low latency of 128GB micro SD card synced to cloud for backup with the benefit of not wearing out the internal non-replaceable storage.

Good thing my home button is loose so I should be able to get it swapped anytime I want within the next year. I knew it made sense to wait :p

#nandgate

Apple replacing faulty Anobit controller and cheap TLC NAND with MLC in production for iPhone 6 and 6+. If you already own the product you'll have to settle for a software workaround.

http://blog.gsmarena.com/apple-switch-faulty-flash-storage-type-iphone-6-iphone-6-plus/

Oh god damnit.

This may only be a problem for very early iPhone 6 models.

I finally got mine today after ordering in September, as order was repeatedly delayed due to "manufacturing issues" with the 64gb and 128gb models. I'm hoping this means they already made the switch.

Kind of weird to see a major pro-Apple site troll the #bendgate issue.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/7/7173451/my-name-is-dan-and-i-had-a-bent-iphone
Yeah, theverge such trolls

I'm not thrilled that my iPhone 6 bent under normal usage, but I can't say I'm unhappy with the resolution. I discovered a problem with my phone late in the evening and had a replacement the very next morning. (I'm fortunate enough to walk past an Apple Store every day on my way to work, so I didn't have to travel far to a store.) The worst part of the whole ordeal was having to reprogram my fingerprints for Touch ID on the replacement device. One of the big reasons that I often recommend iPhones to others is because of Apple's support structure — I can't think of another company that could resolve this kind of problem so quickly and painlessly.

So yes, the new iPhone can apparently bend under normal usage. It sucks and could be a flaw in the design or construction of the phone. Of the many other phones I've carried, none have ever bent in my pockets or during normal usage. I was understandably skeptical of the early reports of iPhones bending, but obviously it's a real issue.

But I'm not going to stop using my iPhone 6 — it has a killer camera, great performance, access to the best apps, and the benefit of Apple's support infrastructure — and I'm not likely to stop recommending it to others. If this happens again (or if you also happen to own an iPhone that has bent), I'll go through the same process and hopefully have as good of an experience as I had today. Still, it shouldn't have bent in the first place.

Maybe I shouldn't put it in my back pocket any more.

Back