iPhone Again Takes Top Spot in J.D. Power Survey

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Surprise, surprise: The most satisfied smartphone customers use Apple iPhones. Apple may be cussed and discussed from one end to the other, but at the end of the day, the customers speak and performance wins out.

For a seventh consecutive time, Apple ranks highest among manufacturers of smartphones in customer satisfaction. Apple achieves a score of 839 on a 1,000-point scale and performs well in all factors

Its easy to do when the mindless masses buy every single iphone product that is released even if there still on a contract.

I will seriously never get it. If you have an iphone 4 you dont need a iphone 4s and when it comes out you still wont need a iphone 5.....

But people will be still lining up to spend 500+ on a phone :/

/Faceplam

Its easy to do when the mindless masses buy every single iphone product that is released even if there still on a contract.

I will seriously never get it. If you have an iphone 4 you dont need a iphone 4s and when it comes out you still wont need a iphone 5.....

/Faceplam

You should consider how mindless your argument is.

Oh wait.

/Faceplam

Just like how you want the latest and greatest hardware? Some people are just that way with phones instead of dropping $500+ on a graphics hardware. Majority of which don't need out there.

I think these numbers speak to 1/3 mindless Apple fans, 1/3 controlled hardware, and 1/3 familiar app system.

If the only Android phone was a Galaxy Nexus, and the only previous version was a Nexus S, Nexus One, etc. you'd have similar numbers in the other camp.

/Faceplam

I have "iPhone" tattooed on my ankle. ;)

/Faceplam

Dumb. Dumb. Dumb comment. Apple makes a fine product. My iPhone 4s is my first iDevice and I love it. I will have no problem spending $750 on the next generation.

With maybe Samsung phones there's a good chance someone in Korea made it, but everyone else's phone came from Foxconn or a similar company too. xBanzai89 has it right however. A lot of the people complaining are the ones who buy a top of the line graphics card or i7 every new generation, but swear it isn't the same thing.

/Faceplam

Sapphire HD 7970

/Faceplam

I never said anywhere iphones were bad, you are making an assumption. However watching people buy the newest one soon as it released is silly. I not going to say this is correct but I think is is a safe assumption that most smart phones get used mainly for texting and phone calls so buying, making getting the new generation silly for most people. I bought a samsung galaxy when my last contract ran out and still have the phone. Sure I could get a new "better" phone but buttom line it is a waste because its mostly used for texting.

Also calling me out on my graphics card? I upgraded from a older graphics card because I got a new monitor. By this theory that I buy the newest thing just because should I also have an i7 3960X ? I could afford it, but theres no reason for me to buy it.

It's a bit odd to be on the other side, now that I've had my 4s since Oct'11. The only opinion I value is someone who actually uses both an iPhone/Android product on a daily basis. ATM, most of the haters are 100% Android users, whose opinions matter very little to me now.

It's also with a certain irony that one of the biggest iPhone haters I know dropped $500+ on a Nexus One the day it was available.

while I think the iphone is a decent product you do have to admit that a survey like this is going to give some skewed results. Apple has a devoted fanbase. Appls is the cool kid in town. It's not quite so for other phones because there isn't one samsung, nokia, motorola etc... phone out there. But there is only one apple phone. People can rally behind the one product/company because of this. even when there are known issues with aspects of the iphone they are downplayed by owners and outright lied about by others. I'm not singlingh out the iphone as being the only phone with issues here, every device has issues, but the iphone because it has the fanbase and is the only apple product in the line can be reallied behind.
I think this speaks more to the loyalty of iphone owners than it speaks to the quality of the iphone over other comperable products.

That sounds like the basic, boiler-plate rhetoric from the Android fanbase.

When I asked one hater to identify an actual fault with the hardware (instead of resorting to the typical strawman arguments), he shut up. It's with a certain irony that he ALSO comes to me for hardware advice b/c he has no patience to read through hardware reviews.

Does nobody see the irony of a Android fanboy so blinded with rage that he relies on purely emotional rhetoric? :p

With the plethora of crappy android phones out there this doesn't surprise me. Say what you want but Apple makes a damn fine product. Are there better Android phones out there, sure, but the whole Android line is so watered down with crap, so many different versions; i.e. honeycomb, gingerbread, ICS, etc...then top it off with all the bloatware that Verizon, AT&T, and other telecoms slap on them they just can't compete with Apple.

As technophiles and geeks we can root and rom our phones but try picturing your baby boomers or later doing that. Just isn't feasible to expect your client base to do that, hence why Apple wins. They control their OS, apps, and hardware which simplifies everything and sometimes that is all people want.

I never said anywhere iphones were bad, you are making an assumption. However watching people buy the newest one soon as it released is silly. I not going to say this is correct but I think is is a safe assumption that most smart phones get used mainly for texting and phone calls so buying, making getting the new generation silly for most people. I bought a samsung galaxy when my last contract ran out and still have the phone. Sure I could get a new "better" phone but buttom line it is a waste because its mostly used for texting.

Also calling me out on my graphics card? I upgraded from a older graphics card because I got a new monitor. By this theory that I buy the newest thing just because should I also have an i7 3960X ? I could afford it, but theres no reason for me to buy it.

/Faceplam

You apparently didn't hang out in the mobile phone section. People were doing EXACTLY this when the new Galaxy came out.

So it's cool when Android users do it, but when Apple users do it it's being a mindless sheep.

I have a perfect line to describe Android users, but last time I got a warning from a mod...probably because that certain person uses Android and doesn't like the truth.

/Faceplam

Says the guy sporting a bleeding edge PC with a flagship video card that cost more than said unsubsidized phone. LOL

I like my Galaxy S2, big screen, light, durable, fast, does just about anything I want it to do.

/Faceplam

I have loved my iPhones, on my 3rd one now, and I have never paid anywhere near $500+ for one. I always use the upgrade plans and get them for $200. I had an original 3G and went from that to a 4 and realize I don't need the 4s so I passed on that. When the 5 comes out I will use my upgrade again and get it for $200, so go facepalm yourself.

What i find surprising is how HTC has better ratings than Samsung, sure they are not perfect phones but HTC has the sluggish sense, bad microphones and speakers but it still makes it into the 2nd spot.

while I think the iphone is a decent product you do have to admit that a survey like this is going to give some skewed results. Apple has a devoted fanbase. Appls is the cool kid in town. It's not quite so for other phones because there isn't one samsung, nokia, motorola etc... phone out there. But there is only one apple phone. People can rally behind the one product/company because of this. even when there are known issues with aspects of the iphone they are downplayed by owners and outright lied about by others. I'm not singlingh out the iphone as being the only phone with issues here, every device has issues, but the iphone because it has the fanbase and is the only apple product in the line can be reallied behind.
I think this speaks more to the loyalty of iphone owners than it speaks to the quality of the iphone over other comperable products.

This isn't an Apple issue. Everyone wants to feel that they made the right choice in any major purchase and will downplay issues that other people point out. it's basic psychology. People have their reason for choosing what they did, and for liking what they do. It's not up to any of us to point out where we think they are wrong.

I will never understand fanboism...use what you like and leave other people alone. And no people aren't stoopid for buying an apple product...

That being said android is a fragmented mess right now. Google keeps advancing the OS but the manufacturers and carriers have such shitty post sale support its a no go for me. I want to try it out so bad but I don't want to have to dick rooting and shit on a phone/tablet... So I stick with iOS. Unfortunately the true google line seems to only be on Verizon with a release on the other carriers a ways away.... Or never. I firmly believe google should control the software better... This would lead to large growth in android.

I will never understand fanboism...use what you like and leave other people alone. And no people aren't stoopid for buying an apple product...

That's pretty much how I feel. At the time when the 3GS came out, the Android phones I tried just did not compare, so the iPhone made the most sense to me. I have since gotten a Droid Charge and absolutely love it. Whenever friends/family ask what to get, I tell them it depends on what they want and how they plan to use it.

That being said android is a fragmented mess right now. Google keeps advancing the OS but the manufacturers and carriers have such shitty post sale support its a no go for me. I want to try it out so bad but I don't want to have to dick rooting and shit on a phone/tablet... So I stick with iOS. Unfortunately the true google line seems to only be on Verizon with a release on the other carriers a ways away.... Or never. I firmly believe google should control the software better... This would lead to large growth in android.

Rooting my Charge is how I try to get the latest stuff, the official releases just seem so slow and out-dated. What I'm finding as well is that a year later since it came out, a lot of the dev's who worked with the Charge have moved on to newer phones and the unofficial releases are now also becoming slower and slower.

Being an Android fanboy, I do have to agree with the report.

#1 We Android users rely on hackers to upgrade our phones software, while iPhone users don't. Seriously, how many phones are getting ICS? Sure is a lot of angry customers out there.

#2 Android phones can deteriorate fast. At some point or another the phone will begin to act buggy and crash. Something that can only be solved by clearing data/cache.

#3 Too much cross compatibility problems with applications. Mainly due to how many different Android phones are running different versions of Android. There are no software updates that can solve this problem, cause carriers don't release them often enough. They release them when they feel like it, which is usually never.

Survey's in general are stupid. Most are skewed with no real fact behind them other than personal opinion, which tells me I should just get my own personal opinion about the device.

Mine is I prefer Android.

I got that from using my wife's iPhone 4 constantly and having it piss me off, also the fact that she has to have that POS program called iTunes installed onto my computer. I love my android and don't see myself switching at all unless I can put another OS on the iPhone.

Same here. The survey is bunk. The SG2 won many 2011 Smartphone of the Year awards.

The survey is about the manufacturer of the phone not specific phones. How many phones does Samsung make? Surely it's not just the SGS2.

And I'm one of em' Reason I bought I iphone 4s is.. It just works™

I want a phone that just works, doesn't screwup/crash and has decent battery life. So far Ive had zero problems out of it since I got it at the end of January.. it just works and it lasts for over two days off battery.

This is coming from a person who was a frothing apple hater and owns 3 android devices.. Apple got it right this time.

Before my 4s, I had an EVO and my wife had a 3 something. Honestly, I was jealous of how smooth everything was on her phone vs my EVO, which had better hardware.

Even looking at one of the new motorola razr androids, I still see lag in the interface. (Someone at work has one.) Where-as my 4s is smooth and very easy to use and the games run well.

So, if android got their act together and manufacturers weren't putting out a phone every month, I would consider going back as I want the larger screen and other goodies. Frankly, the 4s is a stable platform with just about everything I want. Once Android can give me those things better, I'll switch over.

That sounds like the basic, boiler-plate rhetoric from the Android fanbase.
When I asked one hater to identify an actual fault with the hardware (instead of resorting to the typical strawman arguments), he shut up. It's with a certain irony that he ALSO comes to me for hardware advice b/c he has no patience to read through hardware reviews.

Does nobody see the irony of a Android fanboy so blinded with rage that he relies on purely emotional rhetoric? :p

Actually i have had a lot of issues with iphone's i remeber when i bought the first gen iphone when it came out. Boooyyy was it laggy as hell and full of bugs. The battery in my iphone 3gs blew up and acid got all over the circuit board frying it. Not to mention the the reception issue on the iphone 4 depending on how you held it. Also when they first came out they had huge issues with the glass that would break very easily. Since my 3gs i have purchased strickly android phones and i have never had an issue what so ever. I am neither a fan-boy for apple or android. I just want to enjoy a nice product. But its amazing to me how defensive and offended the apple fan-base gets.

/Faceplam

Wow. The whole world is wrong. Yeah, yeah... that's the ticket !

It's a bit odd to be on the other side, now that I've had my 4s since Oct'11. The only opinion I value is someone who actually uses both an iPhone/Android product on a daily basis. ATM, most of the haters are 100% Android users, whose opinions matter very little to me now.

It's also with a certain irony that one of the biggest iPhone haters I know dropped $500+ on a Nexus One the day it was available.

Ok, here you go then. I own an android but due to my job I work with iPhones and the iPad every single day.

Frankly they are good phones and anyone who says otherwise is an idiot. However there are two important facts that often get ignored; 1) If you are technical and like to tinker with your phone, then any iPhone is a terrible choice, 2) If own an iPhone that is only 1 or 2 generations old, then there is usually extremely little reasons to upgrade to the new version other than just because you could.

I own an Android because I hate the default ui and functionality on basically every single phone I have ever touched. I have mine set to work how I want. I still use an HTC Incredible because it does everything I want quickly. I also own a Macbook pro because as an IT guy it is the "ONLY" laptop I can own that allows me to support both Mac and PC users as I dual boot Win 7 on it. No PC Laptop can do that because OSX won't install on it. It is my firm belief that any Tech like me who supports a mixed environment needs to own a mac and set it up as a dual boot. Now if you are in a pure environment, well stick to whatever environment you are in.

I have the same bitch across the board for technology though. I can't stand it when people buy "Fad" technology and try to force it to do what they need, instead of buying what they needed. There is nothing more irritating to me than someone who does a ton of work in flash and buys an iPad for example. I unfortunately deal with those types of idiots every single day.

The single best thing I did about tech was give my mother an iPhone and a iPad 2.

She is not tech educated at all, but quickly became familiar with both devices and find new toys to play and useful apps for work (she's an architect) every single day. And she asks for almost zero support from me. Usually she comes by to show the new app which does something useful when she's working outdoors, or some fancy toy that make weird noises. For her, it's fun and productivity.

When she had an Android phone, it was a nightmare. Sure, it was one with tons of carrier shit and stuff, but people don't care. They want it working, and Apple delivers that. We may know how to get it clean and rooted and stuff, they don't care. That meant more work for me, and I already have lots to do. She liked it, sure, but with Apple stuff she can use all the power of the devices she has. With Android, she was severely limited by her lack of knowledge. And that added a lot to her experience.

For me, I like my Android phone, mainly because it's cheap and do what I want without hassle. And I like to tinker every now and then, so Android is the good one. But I do know why iDevices are the rage.

From these threads, and it is apparently who has never even touched an iPhone.

Dead ON.

People who complain about "iSheep" really need to re-evaluate themselves.

Back