iPhone 5 ear piece speaker keeps going out

DRJ1014

Supreme [H]ardness
So about a week ago my iPhone 5 ear speaker went out. I ordered a new one off ebay and replaced it. Worked like new for about a day then it went out again. I opened the phone back up, took the new speaker out and put it back in thinking maybe it was just a bad connection.

Phone worked perfect again then later the next day it stopped working again.

Took it apart again yesterday and put it back together again and it worked fine until now.

WTF is causing my speaker to stop working but when I take it apart and put it back together again, not replacing any parts other than the first time, and everything works just fine for about a day?

I have already done a factory restore, software is up to date.

You may need to replace the mainboard. Why not just take it to the apple store? They should give you a new one

Phone speakers have the crappiest connects to the speaker, the solder could be bad where the wire connects the speaker.

Oh it's also insanely small!

Might still be worth asking. Sometimes they're nice enough to repair things out of warranty.

Already tried. Apple has more strict guidelines now. If the phone is not in warranty but is a quality repair they give you a loaner phone and send your phone out to be repaired at no cost. If its out of warranty, pretty much SOL.

Gonna take it apart again today to see if I can find anything. The connections are little springs that touch a copper dot on the motherboard. Its weird that it works for a few hours after taking it apart then just stops working. Does this every time I take it apart and dont change anything.

Could be software related then. My earpiece on my old iPhone 5 is also not that great (really quiet). Never noticed this on iOS 6. But fuck that power button. Have to take apart the entire phone to swap it out, and it looks like it's breaking again. Of course I put a black casing on a white phone so no way I would ever get warranty :/

Make sure you do not have any pocket lint in the headphone plug, and make sure you don't have any water (sweat) in the headphone jack. A small Q-Tip should work to clean it out.

I was having an issue with my phone and it was lint in the connector. A friend had an issue with water getting in his headphone jack and that caused an issue as well.

Known issue with defective iPhone 5 speaker module. Don't let the retail store monkeys blow you off. Write a complaint to Apple corporate and threaten them with BBB complaint until they fix the defect. Speaker should never go out with normal use.

Make sure you do not have any pocket lint in the headphone plug, and make sure you don't have any water (sweat) in the headphone jack. A small Q-Tip should work to clean it out.

I was having an issue with my phone and it was lint in the connector. A friend had an issue with water getting in his headphone jack and that caused an issue as well.

Used a small amount of compressed air to make sure the phone was free of any debris.

Known issue with defective iPhone 5 speaker module. Don't let the retail store monkeys blow you off. Write a complaint to Apple corporate and threaten them with BBB complaint until they fix the defect. Speaker should never go out with normal use.

I don't think they will honor it if I do complain because I have taken the phone apart. The stupid white casing on the screen cracked when I used the suction cup... *sigh* so I cant put the old one back in and play it off like I never opened up the phone.

Its so weird. I took the phone apart again, took the speaker out and put it back in, again not changing anything, and it works again...

I wouldn't waste your time with BBB, seeing as the phone is out of warranty they won't post your complaint anyways.

One thing to try, if you have a solder gun, try heading the coil elements a bit in an attempt to reseat them.

Back