Iphone 4 replacement battery.

gwu168

Gawd
Wow, the impossible happened. My iphone 4's battery exploded overnight (popped the back cover off too).

My phone is out of warranty and I already had one apple rep turn me down for a replacement (maybe I should get one of my cute/hot female friends to do the replacement :p)

Anyways, the iphone 4s battery is slightly larger in capacity than the iphone 4 (1420mAh vs 1430mAh, respectively). I wonder if I can use a iphone 4s replacement battery in my iphone 4.

I honestly wouldn't even bother with the 4S battery. It might work, but I have a feeling that the software and/or circuitry of the iPhone 4 might not recognize it or act strange. Plus it's not designed for it. You might run into fitment issues and such.

You're in luck though, they're supposed to be pretty easy to swap out on the 4/4S

and x2... pics of the phone. I'm surprised it didn't shatter the glass

edit: did you tell Apple that the battery actually exploded? Considering how hazardous that could of been, it seems like something that should be covered outside the warranty window

I find it hard to believe they declined a replacement. I thought they were replacing all exploded battery just for good PR. Did they mention the out of warranty battery replacement? It costs a bit but much less than a out of warranty phone swap and you obviously meet the terms for that.

Anyway a battery and a back don't cost much. You would be best off getting the right parts for it, I wouldn't swap things.

Take a picture of it, send it to the Associated Press to be run on every major network news website, then sit back and wait for a call from Apple. The press can't wait to jump on stuff like this and you'll get a replacement in no time.

4s battery wont work. different internal layout.

Take it back and have a different genius replace the battery. If they wont, get a manager. Its $79, and comes with a 90day limited warranty. Worth the peace of mind knowing it is going to work.

Yeah, I'll probably try the genius bar again.

Anyways, it was a typical lithium ion battery explosion. Basically the battery ballooned up to 2-3x its original volume, which forced the back cover to pop up. Not sure what caused the explosion. I actually hadn't used it for nearly a month. The phone was shut off if I remember correctly, and I didn't plug it into a charger or computer the whole time. I only noticed the battery explosion when I saw the phone with its back cover popped off on my desk.

Replacement batteries are pretty cheap if you order them from china (less than $20). I guess the extra 10mAh battery of the 4S is worth the hassle and risk of incompatibility.

Also, another reason why I kind of prefer replacing the battery myself is that my iphone 4 has its baseband preserved for unlocking purposes. A replacement iphone 4 will most definitely have iOS 5 or above, which is currently unlockable.

Battery replacement is simple as dirt on the 4 and 4s, all you need is a battery and a screwdriver (maybe a pentalobe screwdriver.

Just look on you tube for a walk through. If you can change a light bulb, you can swap out the battery.

Plan B is to find someone on craigslist to do it for you, should be $30-$40.

gwu168

Believe it or not, you can replace this yourself for 8 bucks.

So long as you can remove the two small screws at the bottom, and the 1 screw holding the battery connector in.

I bought this a few weeks ago and it's improved my iPhone 4's battery significantly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/22094358496...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_1764wt_1141

It took about 5 minutes to install. You can use this guide if you need help - installation was really simple and self explanatory.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-iPhone-4-Battery/3141/1

Let me know if this helps. Don't throw away your money on another phone if you don't need to.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Oh, I'm not too worried about doing the replacement myself, since I've done battery replacement for 3GS (ugh what horrible design) and I've done total color conversion mods for some friends (red iphone 4).

I'm just curious whether a 4S battery would fit. Plus its a 10mAh boost :p

There is also a chance the battery took out the rest of the phone circuit board, but I'll find out soon enough.

Back