costs about the same add some stuffs to it, flash and camera
and keeps knocking ipad
the window version is not even out yet
keeps knocking, keeps copying apple
doesn't make any sense

the window version is not even out yet
keeps knocking, keeps copying apple
doesn't make any sense

Yeah, the HP Slate that I hold in my hands right now isn't even out. And though announced weeks ahead of the iPad is a complete knock off with is active pen, dual cameras, USB port and SD slot.:confused:

The HP Slate is only purchaseable through corporate last I knew and having used one, it's not something I would want to use regularly. MS needs to go a different route for OS on it's tablets. HP needs to get off their asses and issue some WebOS tablets also.

The HP Slate is only purchaseable through corporate last I knew and having used one, it's not something I would want to use regularly. MS needs to go a different route for OS on it's tablets. HP needs to get off their asses and issue some WebOS tablets also.

I believe HP is working on a new version of WebOS so I don't expect we will see tablets until that is done.

The HP Slate can be ordered by anyone just like me. I was one of the first regular Joes to order so I got one of the first, hopefully HP can get into the swing of things and get more out of the door.

Sure the Slate has it's short coming compared to the iPad or Android but it also has it strengths, the main one being inking, the Slate kicks the shit out of the iPad or any Android device for things like note taking with OneNote. Note taking, media playback and content creation of the main reasons I bought the HP Slate. I challenge anyone to find any slate at this price point and lower to match the Slate in overall in these areas.

I've had mind for almost two weeks now and use it regularly with no problems, even connects to Verizon's 4G now with my Pantech modem. Just a hell of a device.

And yes, HP will be coming out with webOS slates. But I love the Slate, it does pretty much everything I'd hoped for as well or better than I expected and it's just a lot of fun writing on the thing, a slate without ink and advanced handwriting recognition is a bit hobbled when it comes to productivity tasks well suited for the form factor.

The HP Slate can be ordered by anyone just like me. I was one of the first regular Joes to order so I got one of the first, hopefully HP can get into the swing of things and get more out of the door.

Sure the Slate has it's short coming compared to the iPad or Android but it also has it strengths, the main one being inking, the Slate kicks the shit out of the iPad or any Android device for things like note taking with OneNote. Note taking, media playback and content creation of the main reasons I bought the HP Slate. I challenge anyone to find any slate at this price point and lower to match the Slate in overall in these areas.

I've had mind for almost two weeks now and use it regularly with no problems, even connects to Verizon's 4G now with my Pantech modem. Just a hell of a device.

And yes, HP will be coming out with webOS slates. But I love the Slate, it does pretty much everything I'd hoped for as well or better than I expected and it's just a lot of fun writing on the thing, a slate without ink and advanced handwriting recognition is a bit hobbled when it comes to productivity tasks well suited for the form factor.

$800 seems a tad expensive for what the Slate offers, though I'm sure the SSD makes some things pretty snappy. How is the battery life on it?

Yeah, WebOS 2.0 is nearly upon us. I actually find the iPad to be far more useful than I would've expected for note taking and content creation. I know the common wisdom is that tablets are for consumption, but I find that I do a lot more creation than I ever would've thought. I find the Slate feels a bit slower than I would like and Win7 still has a ways to go as far as touch interface. It's of course got the bonuses as well as the detriments of running a full desktop OS so there is very little you CAN'T do with it :). Wasn't trying to slag it, I just personally wouldn't buy one for personal use considering the other devices that i own right now.

You can buy the slate as a home user. Just go into the small business section of HP.com and order it through there.

Right, he already reminded me of that above - I forgot you could just go in through small business.

$800 seems a tad expensive for what the Slate offers, though I'm sure the SSD makes some things pretty snappy. How is the battery life on it?

The Slate has a lot more hardware than any other slate that's been compared to the iPad this year. x86 CPU, 2 GBs of RAM, 64 GB SSD, dual cameras, USB port, SD slot, dual digitizers, plays 1080P video and comes with a case and dock. So while the price is higher than most of the consumer slates out there there's good reason. Battery life does reach the 5 hour mark for desktop activities like web browsing and Office; I need to do some video tests on battery.

As I said I got this device for the pen, it's the ultimate note taking device. The Slate has it's flaws but it has unique strengths that while not necessarily as appealing as the iPad people who know how to take advantage of these strengths will find the Slate very useful.

Beklieve me I saw Andy Rubin waving that Honeycomb equipped Mototablet at D: Dive Into Mobile :)

Back