Ipad 2 damaged

Tzzird

Supreme [H]ardness
My toddler got his hands on our ipad 2 and happened to swing it in a way that smashed the volume button partially into the casing. Not being able to use the volume meter is fine for keeping him entertained for ten minutes when we need, but I'd like to see what my options are for fixing this. Has anyone ever opened an ipad2 up and have good experiences with it? If I take it to the Genius Bar at the Apple Store will they be able to do much with a hardware issue?

Thanks in advance for the respose.

They're not really user serviceable. You'll have to take it to an Apple Store, or just live with it. Doesn't sound too bad IMO. (you can always adjust volume from in OS--double tap the home button and then swipe the dock from the left)

You might want to invest in a case if your two year old is going to be playing with it! :p

I've personally replaced the screen on one, it was really difficult. I guess it really depends on the damage, if the chassis is bent up then you're SOL. But if the button is just lodged in there, then you could probably fix it yourself, however you'd probably break the glass in the process.I would not go down this road, wait until your toddler breaks the glass then open it up to fix that.

$250+tax at the genius bar, unless you purchased applecare+ then it would be $49. If it is less than a year old you have the option to purchase AC+ with the replacement for an extra $49. ($298 out the door before tax)

Yep, my vote is to use the OS to adjust the volume for now, if something happens to the glass then try and open it up...

$250+tax at the genius bar, unless you purchased applecare+ then it would be $49. If it is less than a year old you have the option to purchase AC+ with the replacement for an extra $49. ($298 out the door before tax)

AppleCare+ must be purchased within 30 days of the date you bought your new iPad. If you did not purchase AppleCare+ with your iPad, you may purchase it at an Apple Retail Store.

http://www.apple.com/support/products/ipad.html

AppleCare+ must be purchased within 30 days of the date you bought your new iPad. If you did not purchase AppleCare+ with your iPad, you may purchase it at an Apple Retail Store.

http://www.apple.com/support/products/ipad.html

If he pays for the replacement (which is all a repair is at an apple store) then I believe he has the option of adding AC+ to the replacement at that time since it's essentially "new" again.

My toddler got his hands on our ipad 2 and happened to swing it in a way that smashed the volume button partially into the casing. Not being able to use the volume meter is fine for keeping him entertained for ten minutes when we need, but I'd like to see what my options are for fixing this. Has anyone ever opened an ipad2 up and have good experiences with it? If I take it to the Genius Bar at the Apple Store will they be able to do much with a hardware issue?

Thanks in advance for the respose.

My toddler also uses our iPad but it's in an Otterbox defender case. It's safe and secure in there. If you get a new one, definitely get defender case.

Personally I've had a lot of luck with this case, I have two of them on 2 ipads, ages 2 and 3, and haven't had an issue with anything getting broken since. It's not very bulky like some cases and has great rubber on the corners.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I just wanted to add an important note about AC+ at time of incident. It's solely at the discretion of the store and the iPad still has to be in its 1 year warranty. After 1 year it's completely a no go. One other important note, an iPad replacement is not new. If it's still under warranty/AppleCare that existing warranty/AppleCare is still in place. If it's out of warranty you get 90 days.

OP here. Sorry about asking this question and then completing forgetting I asked it! I have to start subscribing to the threads that I start...

I did have a case on there. It has served us pretty well for the last two years, but my toddler happened to swing it against my dresser in a way that just perfectly hit the portion of the case that was unprotected. I have seen purchased a different case that protects the volume portion better, but the damage is done.

The person who posted $250 + tax is correct. I stopped by the Genius bar today to get a quote and they told me it would be this much. They would give me a refurbished one in return for $250 and my old ipad2. I said I would rather buy a used one on ebay for that much and keep my semi-crippled one.

Oh, and, no AppleCare.

It has been suggested that I update my OS to the most recent one so that I can disable the physical volume control button. My OS quite old. It's jailbroken and I just haven't kept up to date with thiss.

OP here. Sorry about asking this question and then completing forgetting I asked it! I have to start subscribing to the threads that I start...

I did have a case on there. It has served us pretty well for the last two years, but my toddler happened to swing it against my dresser in a way that just perfectly hit the portion of the case that was unprotected. I have seen purchased a different case that protects the volume portion better, but the damage is done.

The person who posted $250 + tax is correct. I stopped by the Genius bar today to get a quote and they told me it would be this much. They would give me a refurbished one in return for $250 and my old ipad2. I said I would rather buy a used one on ebay for that much and keep my semi-crippled one.

Oh, and, no AppleCare.

It has been suggested that I update my OS to the most recent one so that I can disable the physical volume control button. My OS quite old. It's jailbroken and I just haven't kept up to date with thiss.

iOS 6.X has an untethered jailbreak:

http://evasi0n.com/

Back