iomega rev, tape, more HDs

hmmyah

Weaksauce
Im having to make a decision in 24hrs on whether i should spend money on a Iomega rev or just more HDs.

In the long run i need to backup around two terabytes, in the next couple months im only looking to backup somewhere around 500gigabytes to 1 terabyte.

I like the fact that the iomega is decently priced (when compared to similar tape driven backups). The thing i don't like is that its cheaper per gigabyte to just buy an internal hd and mount it into an external enclosure. I also don't like how the HDs are at a greater risk of being dropped etc.

So im looking for opinions..... is the iomega gonna be around for awhile, i would hate to dump alot of money into iomega rev and it just kinda go away heh, though im pretty sure thats not to be worried about.

The content being stored will be mainly media (audio,video, lots of camera pics etc).

Also if you think some other type of storage medium is better plz let me know ( tape, etc )

I would say go with HDDs if you can force your self to be carefull with them and not worry about failure. The price on hard drives is great but i wouldn't really trust IDE drives for the only mode of backup.

I suppose like the old saying goes; figure out how much the data is worth and base your backup solution budget on that.

Back