Internet Will Run Out of IP Addresses by 2010

HardOCP News

[H] News
Could the world actually run out of IP addresses by 2010? Well if you believe what Vint Cerf is saying, and he knows his stuff, we will run our of IP addresses in the next 2 years leaving us in a pickle until we switch from IPv4 to IPv6.

Vint Cerf, the man who helped invent the system and one of the world's leading computer scientists, said that the web does not have enough unique codes that allow computers to communicate with each other. He said that when the internet protocol (IP) addresses do run out, the connectivity of the internet will be damaged and some computers will not be able to go online.

Wasn't it supposed to run out of ips about 5 years ago?

Such old news. I don't know why this is coming up... a lot of networks and customers are already on IPV6 or are part of a transition towards it and it's only moving faster.

Hopefully we can design a future proof system, which can accommodate Refrigerators, Digiframes, phones, wireless shoes, mp3 players, trees, and anything else that may need direct internet access. Cause I damn sure don't want to throw a couple trees behind my router... a bit too big

They've been talking about this "running out of IP addresses" thing for some time, but I don't see any big rush to implementing IPv6 on a large scale over the Internet.

They've been talking about this "running out of IP addresses" thing for some time, but I don't see any big rush to implementing IPv6 on a large scale over the Internet.

I believe comcast is already in this process of phasing over its customers.

While you don't see it here, in other countries adoption is moving much faster such as Japan. ARIN has had the largest allocations out of any one to serve North America so we barely even notice an issue while other countries are feeling the pressure already.

seriously who cares.

This doesn't seem like even a semi-serious problem to me.

*yawn* this headline pops up every couple of years, but the fact is nobody actually wants all these devices numbered directly onto the public network - hence, we have firewalls with a single public address or small DMZ, and protocols (e.g. UPnP) through which devices on the private network can dynamically grab a port tunnel and act as a server.

Not to mention, at least an IPv4 address is something you can type in without much mental effort. IPv6 addresses are cumbersome. I couldn't imagine what a PITA it would be to manage routers, servers, etc with those huge interface addresses - and management tools are just not up to the task of making this transparent to administrators (perhaps transparent to end users, but still a PITA to anybody who owns the tasks of deployment or troubleshooting).

The point being, the existing model is proving functionally sufficient, and implicitly forces some form of security policy (perhaps of dubious merit, but some form of security none the less). I honestly don't want my picture frames to have a public address that anybody could route to - I want to go through the extra hop of an application-level gateway to remotely manage devices on my private network.

I'm sure there are tons of un-used addresses forgotten about, out there. ThePlanet gave my server 5 ips when I only need / use one, couldn't sign up for less at the time. Covad gave my company damn near a whole class C because they didn't have T1s coming from there pop to our office ready (had to route ~60 phones over the internet). We were only supposed to have these IPs for like a month, still have them over a year later.

i reckon... what they should do right.. good idea seriously... you shoiuld listen close... add more addresses but increasing the amount of information in the address header!! omg :rolleyes:

Hopefully we can design a future proof system, which can accommodate Refrigerators, Digiframes, phones, wireless shoes, mp3 players, trees, and anything else that may need direct internet access. Cause I damn sure don't want to throw a couple trees behind my router... a bit too big

yeah i think anything behind the modem can be handled internally...

my cable company laid new cable this month to where I am. to make it "faster" supposedly...
anyway we got new IP addresses, went from 12. whatever to 173. whatever. I live in California and now show up as being from France. lol, this sorta messes with the net, google / amazon /ect were all wonky.
mostly fixed now but the cable company said they ran out of 12. addresses. heh. OMG is it the end?!?!?

If you type "Google"... in to Google... you can break the internet.

Yeah, sounds like FUD to me. Network professionals will see something like this coming and compensate for it. Same as the Millennium bug fiasco.

NAT!!!! have these people not heard of this?

These folks have been talking about us running out of IPs for years now. Thanks to network address translation, each computer on the Internet does not need its own publuc IP address.

That being said, since America invented the internet, we claimed a LOT of address space (as we should have). The university i work for has a stash of 65K public IPs... and we are not even that large. It would suck to be some internet provider in Africa, but America and american businesses aren't going to run out of IP space anytime soon.

Plus, for us network engineers, ipv6 is a huge pain in the ass. Aside from being much harder to memorize, it just isn't as straightforward as ipv4. The few companies i know that are moving to ipv6 are doing it because other countries have been forced to make the move or for political reasons.

Hey... any idea why it's IPv6 and not IPv5? When I want to memorize an IP address to connect to for servers, I don't want to have to remember two more sets of numbers. COME ON!

Hey... any idea why it's IPv6 and not IPv5? When I want to memorize an IP address to connect to for servers, I don't want to have to remember two more sets of numbers. COME ON!

Why address the immediate issue when you can address all future issues at once ;)

O NOES!! WERE RUNNING OUT OF INTERNET!!

*switches router to ipv6*

Problem solved, although base 16 ip addresses are hella hard to remeber, I don't think that would be a problem for wan network admins, but it would be a problem for everyone trying to remeber a strings of hex, but we need MOAR internet, so I think people are going to have to deal.

Obviously their are alot of other means to use the IP addresses we have, subnetting, NAT, but I think thats already done on the wan level, it could be done on the individual level, like conservation, but not everyone is going to want to remeber the formula for subnetting, hell I had trouble with it when I did the cisco networking curriculum.

IPv4 4,294,967,296 different IP addresses.

IPv6 79,228,162,514,264,337,593,543,950,336 different IP addresses.

Nuff said

/thread

If any one is interested in seeing the source of these estimates, you can look here.
http://www.potaroo.net/tools/ipv4/
The people behind this report aren't fools, and they are using data that has been taking NAT into account since it existed. While NAT helps it's not going to "fix" the problem, but it definitely has helped provide the IETF sufficient time to come up with some forms of resolution.

ya it is not a problem. even if your hardware are ipv4.

they made routers that can convert ur ipv4 ip into a v6 unique ip so other ppl with same ipv4 ip will be routed differently.

Not a problem. Each state just gets it's own NAT address :)

Now wouldn't THAT be one hell of a router!

Yeah, this is the same old "doomsday" talk that's been going around for years. I mean really WHY does EVERYTHING that connects to the Internet need a publicly accessible IP address? Would you like your IP compatible camera to broadcast a public IP address? How about your VEHICLE's GPS tracking system? A pacemaker? A tree? A PICTURE FRAME for God's sake?

Yeah, this is the same old "doomsday" talk that's been going around for years. I mean really WHY does EVERYTHING that connects to the Internet need a publicly accessible IP address? Would you like your IP compatible camera to broadcast a public IP address? How about your VEHICLE's GPS tracking system? A pacemaker? A tree? A PICTURE FRAME for God's sake?

Thats just silly, a tree isn't network ready.

IPv4 4,294,967,296 different IP addresses.

IPv6 79,228,162,514,264,337,593,543,950,336 different IP addresses.

Nuff said

/thread

Problems is, most people would much rather have 123.45.67.89 instead of 2001:0db8:85a3:040c:0fff:8a2e:0370:7334

I tried reading a IPv6 whitepaper once, didn't get very far. Still need to sit down and try to learn it for when more people do start to switch over to it.

While I agree that we Will (should have) started switching over soon, not only do we not need our fridges with their OWN IP address it is a complete waste.

There are also hundreds of thousands, if not millions that have been given out that are sitting with bankrupt companies (want to bet ENRONs/Global Crossing are still not available).

I don't think it is as bad as the phone companies habit of handing out blocks of numbers that never get used meaning even new area codes (I heard they were THINKING about changing it but never heard if they did anything)

While I agree that we Will (should have) started switching over soon, not only do we not need our fridges with their OWN IP address it is a complete waste.

Says you :) I want all my appliances and devices networked. If I can't find a network toaster, then I'll go without one :p ;) :D

IPv6 follows the UNIX convention of using even numbers for public releases and odd numbers for experimental releases.

There are also hundreds of thousands, if not millions that have been given out that are sitting with bankrupt companies (want to bet ENRONs/Global Crossing are still not available).

I don't think it is as bad as the phone companies habit of handing out blocks of numbers that never get used meaning even new area codes (I heard they were THINKING about changing it but never heard if they did anything)

It has to do with functionality though. The tree stuff above was a joke. However there are legit reasons why a fridge or other device could use a network connection. I rember years ago there was a fridge that had a touch screen panel on the front that would allow you to order certain supplies from the store. You got low on milk, you clicked order milk, you needed some stuff for diner and only had half of it, you entered it all into the display on the front of the fridge. When you were ready you sent the order over the internet from your fridge to a local store that had online ordering avaiable and you went and picked it up at a drivethrough window. Or had them deliver it to your home. Depends on what type of services your local store had.

While it might be a little overkill for a normal home, image a restaurant or something like that which has food delivered to them already. You get low on milk it sends a order to the milk company. You need to order some other supplies, you just click on the screen and your order is automatically sent. You could even use it for inventory of what you have in a large walk in fridge/freezer.

There is also the ablity for your fridge, stove, washer,... to send out a request for a service call if it notices a problem. Such as your AC or freezer being low on freon, your stove having a gas leak, belt in the dryer starting to go out....

Could the world actually run out of IP addresses by 2010? Well if you believe what Vint Cerf is saying, and he knows his stuff, we will run our of IP addresses in the next 2 years leaving us in a pickle until we switch from IPv4 to IPv6.

Yeah, I'll wait until I have to switch. Lot's of political issues with ipv6.

Im going to buy dozens of IPs then when the world is in turmoil and cant get thier interwebs i will sell them for a massive profit!

While you don't see it here, in other countries adoption is moving much faster such as Japan. ARIN has had the largest allocations out of any one to serve North America so we barely even notice an issue while other countries are feeling the pressure already.

Japan has a huge infrastructure. It's no surprise that they would be running into problems already. The first thing I thought when I read the title was "IPv6". We're already on the move, aren't we?

Hey... any idea why it's IPv6 and not IPv5?

IPv6 follows the UNIX convention of using even numbers for public releases and odd numbers for experimental releases.

Nope.

Incidentally, the IPng architects could not use version number 5 as a successor to IPv4, because it had been assigned to an experimental flow-oriented streaming protocol (Internet Stream Protocol), similar to IPv4, intended to support video and audio.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6#Motivation_for_IPv6

Whoa, 128 bit addresses? That seems a bit overkill, considering 64 bit addresses would still give you like 3 billion addresses PER PERSON.

One downside is that you'll have to send those extra address bits, which could significantly impact applications with small packets, such as games...

Whoa, 128 bit addresses? That seems a bit overkill, considering 64 bit addresses would still give you like 3 billion addresses PER PERSON.

One downside is that you'll have to send those extra address bits, which could significantly impact applications with small packets, such as games...

Hey, you can never have enough ;)

Back