Internal AMD slides of HD3850 perfomance leaked!

The slides that listed AA/AF in games showed the 2900 beating the 3850. Unless I missed something?

Here's the 3870 comparison with a 2900XT. I think I'll be going with an 8800GT.

Test-14.jpg

Rumors are a new driver is helping AA. Hope for AMD owners it's true. :)

I really HATE AMD's drivers though, ever since they started forcing .NET they've been absolutely horrific.

Rumors are a new driver is helping AA. Hope for AMD owners it's true. :)

Yeah thats same rumor keeps recycling itself for every new driver release since the 2900 came out. Drivers can't fix hardware shortcomings, thats why they had to make the new card.

Here's the 3870 comparison with a 2900XT. I think I'll be going with an 8800GT.

Test-14.jpg

Nothing like scaling to put the 3850 in a positive light. In the last graph, the performance difference is only 4fps or 20% faster...yet the 3850 bar is three times the length of the 2900 bar.

That is the hd3870, and a 20% improvement is actually a pretty good boost. All graphs are skewed, just like statistics, to make a product sound better (or worse) than it is.

Nothing like scaling to put the 3850 in a positive light. In the last graph, the performance difference is only 4fps or 20% faster...yet the 3850 bar is three times the length of the 2900 bar.

lol yea that scale is ridiculous, looks great until you look at the numbers.

If this is to be believed then the 3870 is going to get spanked by the GT in the same price bracket, no choice but to make it at least $30 cheaper imo.

Nvidia is cheating in their drivers. Higher FPS for lower picture quality.

Have proof or are you just spewing the same Crysis bug with 169.04 drivers? Guess what it was fixed already and performance went up.

169.04 CPU Bench AVG FPS = 28.66
169.09 CPU Bench AVG FPS = 29.88

169.04 GPU Bench AVG FPS = 26.86
169.09 GPU Bench AVG FPS = 33.31

mouse lag on dx10 has gone too :) thanks nvidia

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1448068&postcount=19

companies who feel the need to try and deceive people with extra long fake charts are hiding something...like that fact that the product sucks maybe?

after seeing all this hype about the new hdXXXX cards and almost waiting for one myself, and then seeing how the card actually performs against the competition. WOW, and the price tag to..... I can see if this card was 150$ it would be every reasonable, but sadly it is not.

I sense the beginning of the end for ATI/AMD.

Which is bad for all of us...for one reason and one reason alone...

Competition

If it's cheaper, and runs the most demanding game Crysis almost as well as GT (2 FPS less in the bench I saw) it could be worthwhile. And I wouldn't take the price, whatever some crap site said about it, as set in stone. The die is very small, so AMD has a lot more room than Nvidia to cut prices.

Even 30-50 is huge in this bracket. I might consider it for example, where GT is just too much, especially at the near $300 street price. And also, there are the rumors that Nvidia has very low supply of 8800GT (evidenced by being unavialable), while AMD has abundant supply of 3870 ready to go. Could really grab a lot of marketshare.

I think some site said Nvidia shipped like 40k GT while AMD has like 400,000 3870 ready to go or something.

Wait before you make your conclusion. Legion for some weird reason used 7.9 drivers or its a typo.

occasionally worse performance than an HD2900XT?

good luck sellin this whomper at the currently specified price point.

though for an htpc, i'd look at a passive 3870 for ~$200USD.

In the neighborhood of ~$200 for a card that is nearly as fast as the 2900XT, I cannot see how some people are saying it sucks. That means that soon most people will have true DX10 class performance, and the crappy 2600s and 8600s will go away or finally be priced at what they should have been priced for the performance they give, which is under $100. That is not a bad situation at all, that is great.

This also means that the next high end will have to be that much better in performance to justify its' existence.

In the neighborhood of ~$200 for a card that is nearly as fast as the 2900XT, I cannot see how some people are saying it sucks. That means that soon most people will have true DX10 class performance, and the crappy 2600s and 8600s will go away or finally be priced at what they should have been priced for the performance they give, which is under $100. That is not a bad situation at all, that is great.

This also means that the next high end will have to be that much better in performance to justify its' existence.

you're right, it's just that given the options around the price point that these 38xx series cards are going to market with... well, based on the benchies it looks like there's some serious competition for those in search of a mid-range desktop gaming card. the 38xx's look ripe for the htpc market and sub HD gaming.

Back