Interesting Problem

Shattoww

n00b
So I have my computer on for 3 weeks(a record). I'm playing a game and all of a sudden my internet dies. I go into the other room, look at the modem and the router and everything looks fine. I look at the other computer and I see that it has no internet either. So I powercycle through all the computers, modem, and router multiple times as well as tossing up the ethernet ports and cords on both ends. I tried plugging my cat6 cable directly into the modem and still no go. The only thing I managed to do was figure out that my comcast cable internet was working fine and I managed to get it working on all computers except my own. So I've tried pretty much everything to get internet on my own computer with no luck so I am here.

Here are some of the facts:
My ISP is working fine, internet is not the problem.
The little green led indicator light on both the cord as well as router are not recognizing my computer or the cat 6 ethernet cable.
I have tried all the basic troubleshooting, and I am getting ready to purchase a network card and just use that instead of my motherboard.

I'm coming here to see if anyone has any ideas before I purchase one. Thanks in advanced.

Here are the specs.

Wireless 2.4 GHZ broadband LINKSYS router WRT54G VERSION 2
Motorola Surfboard Modem SB5120

PC SPecs
DFI NF4 lanparty pci-e motherboard
amd 3200+ winchester
ati x800 xl video card
2x 512 mb mushkin black ram

Please help, the only thing I can think of is somehow the ethernet ports on my computer went bad. Also when I was powercycling through everything, when I restarted my computer, I got about 20 "Windows has recovered from a serious error" messages/popups.

>>The little green led indicator light on both the cord as well as router are not recognizing my computer or the cat 6 ethernet cable.

Sure sounds like either the cable or the NIC is bad.

onboard = sucks

just get a NIC. they're like 10 bucks. even if that's not the problem, you'll be better off anyway.

cords all died simotaniosly?

it happened to me. i got a hamster that chewed thru both the cords that connected this computer and the other computer to the router. drove me mad trying to fix it... musta given him a helluva shock.

but thats gotta be rare, sounds like maybe your onboard connections gone bad. that or the router. thats more likly. i couldnt make out exactly what you said but yea, if both died simotainiously sounds like a router problem

berky said:
onboard = sucks

just get a NIC. they're like 10 bucks. even if that's not the problem, you'll be better off anyway.

I would start by checking each piece in the chain. Check out device manager if your using windows and see if the NIC looks good. Use a proven good cable to connect to another working device and see if you can ping it. I disagree with the onboard = sucks post. Intigrated NICS usually work just fine and replacing hardware is the last step of the diagnostic process not the first.

After some more troubleshooting, I went into device manager and it was everything was working fine. So I tried plugging the cat 6 cable into another computer and no green led light. I inspected the cord thoroughly and there is nothing physically wrong with it. Is it possible that data corruption or something of the sort caused the cord to stop working?

Yeah, It usually doesnt happen but yes sometimes cords do stop working for what seems like no reason. It sounds like a new cord might solve your problem.

The only other thing I would suggest checking is that the speed and duplex settings are correct. I have had trouble with a few devices not autonegotiating correctly or working fine for weeks and then not after a reboot. (Just like the original symptoms). Just for giggles try forcing your NIC to 10/half and see if it resolves the issue.

As another test that should always be in your arsenal, try pinging 127.0.0.1 If you don't get the normal results, your TCP/IP stack could be screwed up. Just one more thing to add as a software diagnosis.

This is awesome this is the kind of thread I wish would happen more often. To many threads on this forum end with people saying "just go buy***this weeks brand new overpriced hardware***" Instead of people helping out with diagnostic tips like this.

Great thread and good advice from everyone involved. I hope we can help get this guy back up and running.

I also disagree with the "onboard = sucks" statement. What IS true is a 10 dollar NIC would suck. Most onboard NICs are using good chipsets, many are Intel and 3COM based, and are either PCI or PCIe based...often integrated tighter into the chipset than a PCI slot aftermarket card would be.

I'd look at the port on your router (try a different port), look at the cable itself (try a different cable), network settings (make sure your LAN connection isn't disabled by accident) and look at your winsock...try reparing your winsock...
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html

theres a chance the switch itself may have died.

Try getting a new switch or borrowing a friends.
Do this after trying new cables.

I really doubt all the NIC's died at once though.

-rc

From all the information here, it sounds like a bad cable to me.

Try taking a known good working cable or nic and put it in place of your suspected bad one. It sounds like you have enough hardware around to test every device in the chain with out the need to buy something new. Pull something out of a good machine for temporary testing purposes. Once you figure out where the break is, then buy the new item.

Also, add another vote against "onboard = sucks".

Well apparently the cable was bad, it seems to have just stopped working for no apparent reason. I thoroughly inspected it physically and absolutely nothing was wrong with it, weird eh?

Anyways, thanks for the help.

Back