Intel Xeon E3-1235

Similar in what way? It performs similar being that both chips are SB chips but it has a little lower frequency and I believe no overclocking or at least my ASUS P8B-X does not have an option for overclocking with my E3-1230. Anyways being a xeon processor the E3-1235 supports ECC.

i just have not seen any review for the chip, i wonder what would be better
the xeon e3-1235 for the 2500k,2600, or 2600k

Are you building a server? If so the xeon (e3-1235) would be better because of the ecc support and the VT-d. If not and you want to overclock get either the i5 2500K or i7 2600K depending on if you want a 4 threaded or 8 threaded processor.

If you are building a server and you plan to use a server board with the intent to take advantage of the ECC then I would strongly suggest using the E3 line of processors.

However if you do not plan on using an actual server board then ECC is a non issue for you I would shop around for another SB processor without the K on the end. Such as the regular 2600, 2500 or 2400. The 2500 and 2400 will not have hyper threading but there prices are much lower than the 2600 which does.

Either way you slice it you can get a Xeon that does exactly what you want but I think you will find that the desktop parts are much easier to get for discounted prices on-line. Other than the names of the processors most of them are exactly the same. The biggest difference going to memory support and the K processors being able to overclock easily, which in a server should not be an issue.

In performance the Intel® Xeon® E3-1275 is a match for the Intel Core™ i7-2600 except for the support of ECC memory on the Intel Xeon. The Intel Core i7-2600K has the ability to be overclocked. The Intel Core i7-2600K also doesn't support TXT and VT-d that are supported on the Intel Core i7-2600 and all of the Intel Xeon E3 processors. In the end the performance should be right about the same between these processors. Check out the differences here.

basically, im still amazed how much cheaper the E3-1235 is compared to a 2600 (non-k)

granted you have to hunt for the right compatible consumer board (server mobos are way more expensive)

basically, im still amazed how much cheaper the E3-1235 is compared to a 2600 (non-k)

granted you have to hunt for the right compatible consumer board (server mobos are way more expensive)

Works in most if not all motherboards, just like gool ol' X3440.

Works in most if not all motherboards, just like gool ol' X3440.

true, but i'd rather choose a mobo that says "tested with E3-1235"(the actual chip) rather base it on "tested with E3-1225"(similar chip that might cause some problems?)

not all mobos test with all of the xeon chips

Why? It's priced right where it should be. This part number is not a direct comparison to a 2600 part number.

true, but i'd rather choose a mobo that says "tested with E3-1235"(the actual chip) rather base it on "tested with E3-1225"(similar chip that might cause some problems?)

If it works with a Xeon it'll work with all Xeons - they're the same chip. I'll venture on a guess than it's a 99% chance of a LGA 1155 motherboard to work with Xeons too.

I've read that Asrock has psychically only those 3 xeons they list in some mobos and they can't put it on the website when they haven't tested with actual chip. Still it's lot more than what other mobo makers doo.

Why? It's priced right where it should be. This part number is not a direct comparison to a 2600 part number.
If you look at the specs, it is. Xeon is clocked 0.2ghz slower, but everything else is the same (besides the i7 having the SpeedStep and xeon having Demand Based Switching, not sure if they're exactly interchangable)
http://ark.intel.com/compare/52213,52272

i7 2600 @ $299 from newegg
E3-1235 @ $265 from newegg

If the E3-1235 can be dropped onto a H67 board without any problems, why is there the $30 price difference for 0.2ghz(plus potential 4 bins OC for the i7)?

I've read that Asrock has psychically only those 3 xeons they list in some mobos and they can't put it on the website when they haven't tested with actual chip. Still it's lot more than what other mobo makers doo.
http://processormatch.intel.com/CompDB/SearchResult.aspx?Boardname=dp67de
Well, my Intel DP67DE has been tested with 2 xeons... though they're special "Ts" = lower TDPs
If it works with a Xeon it'll work with all Xeons - they're the same chip. I'll venture on a guess than it's a 99% chance of a LGA 1155 motherboard to work with Xeons too.
the mobo might not recognize the CPU properly would be what I'm afraid of

What about ECC support on desktop motherboards?
probably not.

Last edited:
for me i use on board graphics and the p3000 graphics on the xeon are bleh. id gladly pay the difference for the 2600k's hd3000's graphics. i would take advantage of the decoding and video acceleration so the cpu doesn't have to work when i watch movies. i don't do any virtual machine work so the extensions are worthless to me.

you pay more for the speed and the luxury of the unlocked multiplier.

i plan to run everything at sock, oc does me no good, xeon is cheaper so i went with the xeon :)

What about ECC support on desktop motherboards?

Forget about it. Not gonna happen on LGA 1155.

If you look at the specs, it is. Xeon is clocked 0.2ghz slower, but everything else is the same (besides the i7 having the SpeedStep and xeon having Demand Based Switching, not sure if they're exactly interchangable)
http://ark.intel.com/compare/52213,52272

<snip>

If the E3-1235 can be dropped onto a H67 board without any problems, why is there the $30 price difference for 0.2ghz(plus potential 4 bins OC for the i7)?

Typical Xeon pricing - always a part faster than the i5 but cheaper than the i7. Same with 1156 (X3440). Also, you can OC the Xeon on P67/Z68 boards via 4 bins extra turbo.

http://processormatch.intel.com/CompDB/SearchResult.aspx?Boardname=dp67de
Well, my Intel DP67DE has been tested with 2 xeons... though they're special "Ts" = lower TDPs

You mean L.

the mobo might not recognize the CPU properly would be what I'm afraid of.

They will. Same sillicon, same chip, just different names and "feature enable" bits flipped.

for me i use on board graphics and the p3000 graphics on the xeon are bleh. id gladly pay the difference for the 2600k's hd3000's graphics. i would take advantage of the decoding and video acceleration so the cpu doesn't have to work when i watch movies. i don't do any virtual machine work so the extensions are worthless to me.

Umm... why the hell would you complain that P3000 can't decode video? Nobody gives a shit about hardware video decoding on workstations, and the CPUs are fast enough to decode MANY stream at the same time. Idle CPUs = you paid for a CPU that does nothing. It's not as if the CPU gets tired during the minuscule work of decoding video >.>

you pay more for the speed and the luxury of the unlocked multiplier.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/xeon-e3-c206-workstation,2933-4.html

P3000 = HD 3000 hardware wise.

only problem might be the any software(especially QuickSync-compatible ones) doesn't detect the P3000 to use properly

Typical Xeon pricing - always a part faster than the i5 but cheaper than the i7. Same with 1156 (X3440). Also, you can OC the Xeon on P67/Z68 boards via 4 bins extra turbo.
if I had known about this earlier, might have reconsidered my i5 2500k over the xeon... (probably not, because I got my i5 from microcenter at $180, but might have re-thought recommendations for other friends' build as he might have more use for multithreading over OC)

You mean L.
yeah, typed the wrong letter

This may be a stupid question but I just want to get clarification on something. Is it true that you can use a Xeon processor in a regular desktop motherboard (i.e. a 1155 Xeon being used in a standard ASUS desktop motherboard).

If so, is the only real difference the inability to take advantage of ECC memory and the inability to overclock the Xeon?

If I wanted to use a dual CPU configuration, are there any desktop motherboards that would support two Xeons, or would I need to use a server motherboard / configuration?

Thanks!

This may be a stupid question but I just want to get clarification on something. Is it true that you can use a Xeon processor in a regular desktop motherboard (i.e. a 1155 Xeon being used in a standard ASUS desktop motherboard).

If so, is the only real difference the inability to take advantage of ECC memory and the inability to overclock the Xeon?

If I wanted to use a dual CPU configuration, are there any desktop motherboards that would support two Xeons, or would I need to use a server motherboard / configuration?

Thanks!

1. Usually yes but noone can give you 100% warranty it will work (apart asrock who lists a bit of xeons in their cpu support list)

2. no idea

3. EVGA is rumored to be preparing socket 2011 dual cpu mobo but for 1155 no.

1. Usually yes but noone can give you 100% warranty it will work (apart asrock who lists a bit of xeons in their cpu support list)

2. no idea

3. EVGA is rumored to be preparing socket 2011 dual cpu mobo but for 1155 no.

Thanks!

There are NO dual socket 1155 motherboards at all. 1155 simply does not have the QPI support that is needed for a dual socket setup.

For 1366 there is the EVGA classified SR-2 but it's bloody expensive and the only real reasons to buy it over a server board are SLI and overclocking support.

LGA2011 will have a dual socket version but afaict it's not clear exactly when it will be coming out or whether anyone will bother marketing it to enthusiasts.

Back