Intel Skull Canyon NUC at GDC 2016

DarkStar01

Weaksauce
For anyone curious, Intel unveiled their new Skull Canyon NUC a few days ago at the Game Developers Conference, and she's a bit of a monster. Measuring in at 0.69 liters, it contains an i7-6770HQ (Quad core, eight threads) - that's a 45 watt Skylake part, with 6MB cache, 2.6ghz base clock, 3.5ghz turbo and Iris Pro 580. It is also equipped with Thunderbolt 3 (in the event you'd like to use external graphics), dual PCIe x4 gen 3 NVME m.2 slots, four USB 3.0 ports, gigabit LAN, dual band 802.11ac, full size HDMI 2.0, mini DisplayPort 1.2, supports up to 32GB DDR4 3 at 2133+ MHz and SD cards up to 512GB.

Last edited:
Not sure I buy the HDMI 2.0 part (Skylake = 1.4a native), but everything else sounds reasonable.

This is the first time Intel has put Thunderbolt on a NUC in a good long time. But I am thinking minor heart attacks will occur when they announce the pricing. At least $800 for the barebones?

You can build a Core i5 plus GTX 750 Ti for less than that, and pack it in a tiny case. You'll get more capable graphics as well as save money!

And then you can pack it in this:

S4 Mini - An ULTRA-SFF Chassis shipping this December!

Last edited:
Reactions: NFC
like this
Not sure I buy the HDMI 2.0 part (Skylake = 1.4a native), but everything else sounds reasonable.

Intel's Skull Canyon NUC is Official: $650, Shipping In May

Note that the HDMI 2.0 output is enabled by an external LSPcon (not Alpine Ridge). So, we will definitely have 4Kp60 output with HDCP 2.2 support over the HDMI port, making it suitable as a future-proof HTPC platform.

This is the first time Intel has put Thunderbolt on a NUC in a good long time. But I am thinking minor heart attacks will occur when they announce the pricing. At least $800 for the barebones?

Yeah, the last one with thunderbolt was he original DC3217BY, it's about time, especially since every mac mini has had it.

Looks nice for a second system, but I'd like it better if it didn't have a skull logo on it.

But honestly I don't need that much power anyway in the use case I'm looking for, so I'll probably get a Compute Stick instead.

Looks nice for a second system, but I'd like it better if it didn't have a skull logo on it.

But honestly I don't need that much power anyway in the use case I'm looking for, so I'll probably get a Compute Stick instead.

You're going to be disappointed by the fan and he throttling if you try to use the GPU.

Intel is realy fighting physics packing that much of a power hog into a USB stick. Just get one of the larger models instead :D

Amazon.com: ASUS VivoMini UN42-M142Z Desktop: Computers & Accessories

This has the exact same price as the compute stick, and a much more powerful processor, ad both the ram and storage are upgradable!

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
There are supposedly two covers. The skull one and another matte black one with third party option according to the intel fact sheet.

There are supposedly two covers. The skull one and another matte black one with third party option according to the intel fact sheet.

I think they said in one of the interviews that the one without the skull is basically the same cover so you get half glossy hex pattern and then a matte finish on the other side.

intel-skull-canyon-nuc-1_w_600.jpg

So just take skull off that side and you will have it.

I wish they would have added two more USB ports to the back for four total USB ports on the back.

I wish they would have added two more USB ports to the back for four total USB ports on the back.

You can use the usb type c on the back for a 3rd and there are internal headers (1 USB 3.0 and 1 USB 2.0) available for use.

Back