Intel rebrands Core processor names

1_rick

Supreme [H]ardness
Get out your reorg boots

https://www.anandtech.com/show/18911/intel-new-core-branding-for-meteor-lake-no-i-new-ultra-tier

Dropping the "i" from processor names, and also adding a new tier, "ultra", that will apply to 5- and up series. I wonder if just all the Core 5s and up will be Ultra, or there will be 5s and Ultra 5s (perhaps the former will have fewer e cores or something, like the 12600 vs 12600K (this is just my personal speculation.)

Edit: they'll also de-emphasize the generation in the processor name, it won't be "Intel 13th generation blah blah blah" any more, although that will still be present in the processor number, eg 13000K, but they haven't finalized what format the number will have, and there have been benchmarks showing up with names like "Core Ultra 5 1003H" since around April.

I often wish marketing and branding didn't exist. It just cheapens the product.

Just give it a good descriptive name, and use a consistent formula for naming and stick with it.

Marketing people have many different areas of responsibility within organizations. Advertising, Branding, PR, you name it. By far their most important function is one that is rarely spoken of, and that is the role of marketing in product development, helping the development teams understand what the market wants, so you wind up with the right product for the market.

All that other stuff, branding, advertising, etc. I wish all of that could go die in a fire.

If your product doesn't sell itself without advertising and branding, then it probably shouldn't be on the market in the first place.

I often wish marketing and branding didn't exist. It just cheapens the product.

Just give it a good descriptive name, and use a consistent formula for naming and stick with it.

Marketing people have many different areas of responsibility within organizations. Advertising, Branding, PR, you name it. By far their most important function is one that is rarely spoken of, and that is the role of marketing in product development, helping the development teams understand what the market wants, so you wind up with the right product for the market.

All that other stuff, branding, advertising, etc. I wish all of that could go die in a fire.

If your product doesn't sell itself without advertising and branding, then it probably shouldn't be on the market in the first place.

1686842584957.png

I expect Marketing to come up with a name which will be able to connect consumers with the experience Intel will provide once they buy the product.

Ultra Core 14999 63X Extreme

Get out your reorg boots

https://www.anandtech.com/show/18911/intel-new-core-branding-for-meteor-lake-no-i-new-ultra-tier

Dropping the "i" from processor names, and also adding a new tier, "ultra", that will apply to 5- and up series. I wonder if just all the Core 5s and up will be Ultra, or there will be 5s and Ultra 5s (perhaps the former will have fewer e cores or something, like the 12600 vs 12600K (this is just my personal speculation.)

Edit: they'll also de-emphasize the generation in the processor name, it won't be "Intel 13th generation blah blah blah" any more, although that will still be present in the processor number, eg 13000K, but they haven't finalized what format the number will have, and there have been benchmarks showing up with names like "Core Ultra 5 1003H" since around April.
Honestly overdue. Not that it dramatically hurt sales, but "13th-generation Core i5-13000K" is a mouthful.

Say what you will about Apple, but I do like the simplicity of its chip naming scheme. M# is the base; Pro is the 'mainstream' performance option; Max is for demanding users; Ultra is for heavy-duty pro tasks. There are no arbitrary numbering systems, and the most complicated it gets is slight variants in core/GPU counts. It helps that Apple has a smaller range of chips overall, but I'd argue that Intel and AMD could both stand to pare back their lineups.

Honestly overdue. Not that it dramatically hurt sales, but "13th-generation Core i5-13000K" is a mouthful.
Exactly. Also, the whole "i" thing was stupid. After the iMac came out every company put a stupid lower case "i" in front of everything and I hated it. Also, a model number really shouldn't exceed four or five digits. 9900K is one thing, 10900K is another and it just doesn't roll off the tongue very well.

Exactly. Also, the whole "i" thing was stupid. After the iMac came out every company put a stupid lower case "i" in front of everything and I hated it. Also, a model number really shouldn't exceed four or five digits. 9900K is one thing, 10900K is another and it just doesn't roll off the tongue very well.
"You think the 'i' was for what?" - Intel

100% was, they said "hey, iDevices are popular, we can put 'i' in for 'Intel'!"
Originally they were just Intel Core (32-bit), followed by the Intel Core 2 Duo (64-bit), then they started slapping ‘i’ in-front because they could and it was popular so they became the Intel iCore series so if i stands for Intel then they are the Intel Intel Core Series seems redundant for a naming scheme thought up by a company that goes to great lengths to never repeat a character in a name.

"You think the 'i' was for what?" - Intel
Could have been to point out that the cpu had now an integrated memory controller ? Which has been took for granted now for a while (and I imagine they already knew-planned for them to have integrated iGPU has well soon), again took for granted now

Originally they were just Intel Core (32-bit), followed by the Intel Core 2 Duo (64-bit), then they started slapping ‘i’ in-front because they could and it was popular so they became the Intel iCore series so if i stands for Intel then they are the Intel Intel Core Series seems redundant for a naming scheme thought up by a company that goes to great lengths to never repeat a character in a name.

It happens sometimes

OTB betting

ATM machine

Say what you will about Apple, but I do like the simplicity of its chip naming scheme. M# is the base; Pro is the 'mainstream' performance option; Max is for demanding users; Ultra is for heavy-duty pro tasks. There are no arbitrary numbering systems, and the most complicated it gets is slight variants in core/GPU counts. It helps that Apple has a smaller range of chips overall, but I'd argue that Intel and AMD could both stand to pare back their lineups.

It's real easy to name things when you have a small range of products. Although when you look at their consumer goods, half of all iPad models are 'The New iPad' so that's not exactly good either.

I'd love for Intel or Amd to stop with the stupid 3/5/7 stuff and just go with core name, core count, frequency (or just have a base and an X/K that's faster). What I see from people on less technical forums is things like 'I have an i7, why is this slow?', and it turns out their i7 is a quad core from 10 years ago and they're trying to run a modern game on it, with the iGPU. If they had a haswell-4k, it'd have been clear.

Issue here is core name is a bit of a mess for customer, why Haswell would be faster than skylake or vice versa ?

Number that go with by generation seem much better to me, frequency would also been a mess for some transition, people going from their nice Pentium getting close to 4ghz to mere under 2.5ghz core 2 duo.

Imagine if meteor lake is much faster with less cores and frequency, how do you sale it, in no way Meteor Lake sound faster than Raptor Lake, core count-frequency will sound worst.

I have an i7-4770K would also been quite clear

Putting the "i" in front of everything was so fucking cringe, before cringe even became a word

Reactions: Mega6
like this
Back