Intel 'preparing' to put an end to user-replaceable CPUs

Yossarian22

[H]ard|Gawd
a report emerged claiming that Intel is planning to release its upcoming 14-nanometer Broadwell architecture processors as a ball grid array (BGA) rather than an land grid array (LGA) package. A switch to BGA would mean that the processor could no longer be fitted into socket where it could be removed or replaced, and instead would be soldered to the motherboard much like processors for notebooks and tablets are nowadays.
- ZDtech article

and

That brings us to the next issue at hand, enthusiasts. They are pretty much dead, not that Intel seems to care. Since they nearly destroyed that nascent market with Nehalem, and have since progressively removed any features the enthusiast cares about while jacking the cost to buy them back to untenable levels, enthusiasts have become an endangered species. Unfortunately Intel doesn’t care about the enthusiast, and unsurprisingly they have moved on.
- Charlie D @ SemiAccurate

Sources:
Intel 'preparing' to put an end to user-replaceable CPUs
Intel kills off the desktop, PCs go with it

Seriously?

As ShuttleLuv said, that's a very old article. Intel made an official statement to Maximum PC that they intend to support socketed CPUs for the forseeable future. I think the Broadwell processors are going to be intended for the NUC's, the super small pc's that Intel's been pushing recently. Given the space restraints in those things I'm not too surprised they've gone that route.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012...t-for-socketed-cpus-for-the-forseeable-future

Also I'm not terribly familiar with SemiAccurate, but why does it seem that nearly every quote I see from that site always takes an inflammatory stance?

As ShuttleLuv said, that's a very old article. Intel made an official statement to Maximum PC that they intend to support socketed CPUs for the forseeable future. I think the Broadwell processors are going to be intended for the NUC's, the super small pc's that Intel's been pushing recently. Given the space restraints in those things I'm not too surprised they've gone that route.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012...t-for-socketed-cpus-for-the-forseeable-future

Also I'm not terribly familiar with SemiAccurate, but why does it seem that nearly every quote I see from that site always takes an inflammatory stance?

Semiaccurate is a terrible site, Charlie D is not a guy you'd want to be famous for quoting.

Semiaccurate is a terrible site, Charlie D is not a guy you'd want to be famous for quoting.

Unless you're doing it to laugh at him. He is occasionally right, but for the most part he is just spouting random rumors that have no chance of coming true.

Unless you're doing it to laugh at him. He is occasionally right, but for the most part he is just spouting random rumors that have no chance of coming true.

Ah, I see! I always wondered because I've seen a fair number of threads where SemiAccurate was quoted as a source or proof of something, but going to the page reveals some obnoxious ranting leading into the quote. Made me suspect something was up :p

Very old article man, intel is still commited to the enthusiest market and will be for years as of now, main thing changing is integration to motherboard. But I'm sure it will all work out intel isn't stupid.

http://techreport.com/news/24191/trusted-source-confirms-soldered-on-broadwell-cpus

Thanks ShuttleLuv. Just to let you know while most of the desktop market has been shrinking. One part of it has been growing is the enthusiast space. Which has been is growing substantially. The last year it grew over 10% worldwide. So this is an area that we are very much committed to.

Even if it were true, enthusiasts would have hot air guns to replace soldered chips anyways.

3 months = very old?

At the time Intel had no official statement on the matter, but the company has now gone on the record with Maximum PC: “Intel remains committed to the growing desktop enthusiast and channel markets, and will continue to offer socketed parts in the LGA package for the foreseeable future for our customers and the Enthusiast DIY market. However, Intel cannot comment on specific long-term product roadmap plans at this time, but will disclose more details later per our normal communication process.”

There are a bunch of boards with pre-soldered CPU on the market, mostly Llano style stuff. Not many people are 'enthusiast' enough to own a rework station, though. Seems like a power play to get people to buy the boards in the price segment they want... Planned obsolescence is never a good thing.

3 months = very old?

There are a bunch of boards with pre-soldered CPU on the market, mostly Llano style stuff. Not many people are 'enthusiast' enough to own a rework station, though. Seems like a power play to get people to buy the boards in the price segment they want... Planned obsolescence is never a good thing.

The main reason I said it was old is that yes, 3 months is a fair amount of time, but more importantly when the "story" originally started there was a ridiculous amount of press around what amounted to a rumor which was blown well out of proportion. Essentially, the originating story was a poor translation of a Japanese site which was taken to mean that Intel was going to completely move to soldered cpus.

I don't see the power play, people that would buy a NUC aren't exactly in the enthusiast market to begin with.

gyg7QOC.jpg

3 months = very old?

In this context, yes, 3 months isn't NEWS

This story...again. It has only been posted on [H] about 2 dozen times already before and after it was debunked.

3 months = very old?

Yup, especially here where it gets posted and talked to death within 10 minutes of being posted. Any other tech site it would probably be old after a week, here it's like a day lol.

It has already been cleared up, somewhat, by Intel when they were forced to respond after the massive press attention it gained. Including AMD coming out and saying they'll never go BGA.

lol, debunked by a statement from Intel itself months ago, bro. Welcome to the Internet!

Right now we have 2 consumer sockets, 1155, and 2011.

It's the future successor to 1155 that is potentially going to move away from sockets. The future successor to 2011 will continue to use sockets, but will of course carry a price premium for what will probably be a negligible increase in performance, just like the relationship between 1155 and 2011 today.

Back