Intel Pentium 133, epoxy, and me

lithium726

[H]F Junkie
so i just got home from school with a new toy. a P133 and a really old intel server board. (check out that ram, never seen anything like it)

board...
board.jpg

cpu..
cpu+fan.jpg

cpu%20no%20fan.jpg

and the ram.. uber old school...
ram.jpg

anyways, that hsf on the cpu is epoxied on... anyway i can get it off without damaging the core?

You would probobly damage the processor if you did. Thats an OverDrive processor, and they came OEM w/ the HSF installed. They are'n't meant to be taken off.

not sure why the even put those on there .. those cpus wont' die .. LOL had a 200mmx that i took the hsf off oced it to death and it still wouldn't die got hot as hell but would never die .. still in closet should get it back out and leave it on for a while cook some bacon on it hmmmm

overdrive? whats diff about an "overdrive" processor and a regular pentium? i have a pentium 200 in my closet too, and it does look alot diff, from what i can see..

hmm, should I feel old for recognizing that memory as 72 pin EDO Simms or just think school must be high school....
Now, if it had 30 pin simms that would be old, so not as old as stuff with memory chips soldered to the board (next to the CPU soldered to the board btw).

well, im 18, senior in high school, pretty much the oldest thing ive worked with is sdram... and that was in another pentium machine(well its a k6-2 now...) but i did notice the term "SIMM" when looking at that picutre, and i recognized it.. just had never worked with it before. thought it was weird looking how the memory chips are actually OFF the pcb, lol

edit: whitewhale, i see you live in ABQ, what high school did you go too?

The core is on the bottom on that chip. The P133 was before they introduced the "flipchip" design. That purplesh part is just a piece of metal. You should be able to just break that HS off. It might remove some of the purple coating but it's no biggie.

whitewale said:
hmm, should I feel old for recognizing that memory as 72 pin EDO Simms or just think school must be high school....
Now, if it had 30 pin simms that would be old, so not as old as stuff with memory chips soldered to the board (next to the CPU soldered to the board btw).

I've got about 20 of those old 30-pin simms in a static bag in the basement. I think most of them are 1mb each too w/most of them having 70ns access time (that was middle of the road for them if I remember right...50 and 60 were the "high speed" ones, 70 was average, and 80 were your bargain chips).

Then I have another bag of 72-pin simms too...4/8/16/32 mb versions. Hell, I remember paying $180 for an 8mb simm JUST TO RUN OS/2 WARP WITH SOUND!

damn how time has changed!

:EDIT: I just notice that board looks like it either has 512k or 1mb of Pipeline Burst cache on it! WOW! I still have an Abit IT5H and an FIC 503+ with that!

anyone remember the COAST (Cache-On-A-STick) modules that were all the rage?

eco said:
The core is on the bottom on that chip. The P133 was before they introduced the "flipchip" design. That purplesh part is just a piece of metal. You should be able to just break that HS off. It might remove some of the purple coating but it's no biggie.

i was wondering why it dint seem to have a huge core like my other penitum.. lol

Freeze the chip for a hour and then it should pop off with a bit of force.

An overdrive is an upgrade CPU. Use Google to find out more information.

I have a COAST stick here somewhere, 256K I think

Only P1 setup I've ever had, had that ram and a cache stick I think it was can't remember though wth it was, when I had it I was a total n00b and had no clue what it was... Anyway that things cooling was just apalling. CPU = no cooling at all. Nothing had ANY COOLING. There was ONE case fan but that just pointed straight down to the bottom of the case no where near any components :\.

You've never seen 72-pin EDO before??? Damn.... I see that you're 18, but still, that's a part of PC history!

My first "PC" had a Motorola 68030 33MHz CPU in it ;)

Man! Your first CPU was 33MHz?! Damn...I'm really showing my age now...my first PC was 4Mhz. Came with 512k base memory, no extended/expanded.

Josh_B said:
You've never seen 72-pin EDO before??? Damn.... I see that you're 18, but still, that's a part of PC history!

My first "PC" had a Motorola 68030 33MHz CPU in it ;)

and my first "Keychain" had something awfully similar on it ;)

nst6563 said:
Man! Your first CPU was 33MHz?! Damn...I'm really showing my age now...my first PC was 4Mhz. Came with 512k base memory, no extended/expanded.

Bah, my TRS-80 model 100 had 32k of memory (that was fully upgraded too, 16k was standard) and if I remember right that Zilog Z-80 CPU ran at 2.4mhz.

It would run for 3 months on 4 AA batteries.

(but it was a hand me down, by the time I got it 486s' were brand new)

==>Lazn

All this talk makes me want to make a old school comp again to remeber what it was like playing the old school games and trying to get them to run doom but never working i think the old comp I ever had was 75mhz but im still young

SputNick7 said:
All this talk makes me want to make a old school comp again to remeber what it was like playing the old school games and trying to get them to run doom but never working i think the old comp I ever had was 75mhz but im still young

my linux router/firewall box is still running off a Pentium 66Mhz (YES! FDIV bug included!) w/64mb ram. The cpu is actually an original P60 but I just switched the jumper to make it 66.

man thats suck a sweet overclock. I remeber when getting 15mghz was insane. yah I want to make a dual p3 xeon server reall quick so i can host a ftp

nst6563 said:
same here. tandy 1000, 4mhz of number crunching power! mine was 256k tho. i remember playing treasure mountian on that thing when i was about 6-8, that was a blast. looking back on it, i have no idea how i actually thought it was fast... lol

edit: i figured that stuff wasnt TOO old(the ram) but on my other socket 7 board, it accepts sdram(asus P5A-B). i never worked with anything that old since i was like 7 at the time when that board was made, it says 1995 on it... so you understand my not recognizing it, lol. i cant imagne how slow that stuff was with the chips actually OFF the pcb! thats what i first thought when i saw it.

Treasure Mountain=one of the best games of all time. I still have an old IBM PC at my parent's winter house running Windows 3.0 with Treasure Mountain on it.

My first PC was a 1mhz Apple 2+E or something like that. Games like Choplifter (monochrome) and Wavy Navy were my 2 favorites for that system. And I do remember the sauldered in ram and processor chips to the mainboard. In fact the computer met an untimely demise when the graphics chip or something like that kept going out (I think the computer was giving it too much voltage, and usually we'd replace it before it burned itself out and other stuff too, but for that one time when it burned out before we replaced it, and then the computer was dead. Then there were the IBM compatible PC's 8088 286 386. I remember playing empire (the original ASCII version and the graphical version), the Spacequest series, and StarFlight. Those were my favs at least.
Anyway, thanks for reading down memory lane with me

eco said:
Treasure Mountain=one of the best games of all time. I still have an old IBM PC at my parent's winter house running Windows 3.0 with Treasure Mountain on it.

wanna zip windows 3.0 and treasure mountain for me? lol i havent played since i was a kid, and my parents threw out the tandy and the game, i was never able to find it after we moved.. :( i have some old machines i might be able to throw windows 3.0 on, or maybe ill have to use 95, i dont know, but id like to play again :)

edit: microsoft doesnt sell, make, or support in any way, shape, or form, windows 3.0 anymore. so what i am asking is not illegal, right?

When I was in 2nd or 3rd grade my dad had a gateway, with a 66mhz proc and a 250mb hd I think. The first upgrade I ever saw was an 88mhz overdrive for it.

eco said:
oh man, i remember playing that game for ages on my dads ibm, which was two years older than me and i was born in '84. It ran like SHIT on that too, lol.

anyways, to the original poster, freezing is your only hope. if it fails after an hour in the freezer, don't panic. go to an ice cream store and get some dry ice and set it on that for a while until the pins stick all the way in. that should make it much colder than a freezer ever could and the epoxy wouldn't stand a chance.

man...THAT was a great link there....I just had to forward that to everyone in my contacts. I'm sure I've just been the cause of many peoples wasted weekends of nostalgia (sp?)....including mine :D

THANKS! again...great linkage!

My main computer is from the same year the first Pentium was
introduced (1993). The best thing about how fast computers
become "obsolete" is how fast they become free.

haha.. good times
you'd probably get a kick out of my old machine.. got it out about 3 weeks ago and installed DOS 6.2 (6.22 1st was bad :( ) and WFW 3.11 on there. Got the video drivers on there running @ 1024x768, 16million colors and the network card setup for TCP/IP :D Its on my network seeing my domain and everything.. hehehe.. shared drives and all. I also just picked up the newer 233 computer from work. Its one of hte last socket 7 boards since it uses PC100 style memory. I was picking it up, just for the case, and was like hell, this is better. So it will be commisioned into the new WFW 3.11 computer.

This is old stuff I had on hand. P100@110, 24mb memory, 2 harddrives with around 900mb of space.

zeek-old_comp1.jpg

zeek-old_comp2.jpg

zeek-old_comp3.jpg

OMG! Is that a Soundblaster AWE32 w/IDE interface I see! If so...I have one just like it still!

There is no excuse for not recognizing old school hardware. I'm only 17 and I totally remember such things on that board as EDO memory, ISA slots, Pentium OverDrive, etc. Those were the days... I still have a few old 486 boards along with a few bags of EDO sticks down in my garage.

anyone want some 30-pin simms??? 70ns access time! I think I even have some 60's in the bag too :D Those will make your 386 rig fly!

omg its BTX :O

seriously though, very old, I have one exactly like it. it runs Windows 98SE like a dream. plus it has 32MB of RAM and an 800MB storage HDD.

I stuck an Audigy 2 in there for the hell of it :p

nst6563 said:
anyone want some 30-pin simms??? 70ns access time! I think I even have some 60's in the bag too :D Those will make your 386 rig fly!
60ns
zeek-drooling.gif

nst6563 said:
I've got about 20 of those old 30-pin simms in a static bag in the basement. I think most of them are 1mb each too w/most of them having 70ns access time (that was middle of the road for them if I remember right...50 and 60 were the "high speed" ones, 70 was average, and 80 were your bargain chips).

Then I have another bag of 72-pin simms too...4/8/16/32 mb versions. Hell, I remember paying $180 for an 8mb simm JUST TO RUN OS/2 WARP WITH SOUND!

damn how time has changed!

:EDIT: I just notice that board looks like it either has 512k or 1mb of Pipeline Burst cache on it! WOW! I still have an Abit IT5H and an FIC 503+ with that!

anyone remember the COAST (Cache-On-A-STick) modules that were all the rage?

YES!!! Other old schoolers out there!! But I have you beat on RAM. I paid $300 for an 8MB 72-pin 70ns stick of RAM to play a CDROM game on a 3X SCSI NEC.

COAST rocked!!! It was cheap, it was easy as hell to install and you didn't have to configure anything! Oh the days of "You touched the RAM, set this jumper here".

The_Mage18 said:
YES!!! Other old schoolers out there!! But I have you beat on RAM. I paid $300 for an 8MB 72-pin 70ns stick of RAM to play a CDROM game on a 3X SCSI NEC.

COAST rocked!!! It was cheap, it was easy as hell to install and you didn't have to configure anything! Oh the days of "You touched the RAM, set this jumper here".

lol...man...weren't those NEC scsi drives the shit? They looked awsome and had -THE- fastest seek and access times of any drive out at the time! I remember my 2x NEC scsi that had like 90ms access/seek times...man...the memories...

The_Mage18 said:

$400 for 2 sticks of PNY 4mb, 70ns right here :D

I recently replaced the 256K 30 pin SIMMs in the machine I'm
typing this at with 1M SIMMs.
I have an old Mac that has some insanely small scsi drive.
I don't remember exactly... I know it's well under 100 meg,
40 meg perhaps?
Anyone remember installing an OS from floppies?

Back