Intel Named One of the World's Most Ethical Companies

HardOCP News

[H] News
Intel has been recognized as one of the 2015 World's Most Ethical Companies by the Ethisphere Institute, an independent corporate ethics think-tank. A four-time honoree, Intel was named one of the top companies for demonstrating "real and sustained" ethical leadership and for its performance across several criteria, including ethics and compliance; corporate citizenship; and responsibility. View to learn more about Intel's sustainability and conflict-free leadership.

Not a bad list, having worked for Intel and dealt with them as a customer I can confirm they take ethics and social responsibility very seriously internally and with their suppliers ... interesting that none of the major banks are listed as Ethical (SURPRISE :) ) ... and the companies who have the most to gain (and the most need) are not there either (Dupont, Monsanto, etc) ... also, notable that there were no airlines listed

"think-tank" is political-speak for scumbag political action organization. Ethisphere has absolutely no academic support and is a private company that is beholden to none. There are a bunch of totally merit-less awards given out every year and this is as low tier as they come.

I could just start up a company tomorrow with just as much legitimacy (none).

Hmm, ethics and profit don't have any correlation unless marketing uses ethics as a sales tool.

So... Ethics exist as long as they can be profitable?

Not a bad list, having worked for Intel and dealt with them as a customer I can confirm they take ethics and social responsibility very seriously internally and with their suppliers ... interesting that none of the major banks are listed as Ethical (SURPRISE :) ) ... and the companies who have the most to gain (and the most need) are not there either (Dupont, Monsanto, etc) ... also, notable that there were no airlines listed

Well, either they have changed fundamentally, or this is for show only.

They used to be one of the least ethical companies in tech, using dirty business tactics to bribe PC OEM's not to use competitors products, intentionally sabotaging the Intel compiler so that code compiled on it would run poorly on competitors chips, and in general just suing the hell out of anyone and everyone in order to protect their market, whether they had a case or not, relying on the "deepest pockets" mentality that their smaller competitors would run out of their legal budget first.

Cultures like that usually don't die easily.

IMHO, this says more about the "Ethisphere Institute" as a coporate PR whitewashing list than it does Intel, I fear.

I buy Intel products but it's a stretch to award them this. If should instead go to AMD.

It is entirely unethical to build a fab plant on the disputed land in Kiryat Gat ....

Ethical and Intel are mutually exclusive terms.

The same goes for NVidia.

They are both scum.

The scoring criteria covers a lot of territory:

Ethics and Compliance Program (35%)
The criteria used for this category are fully aligned to corporate best practices, relevant case law and the “hallmarks” of an effective compliance and ethics program as outlined by the Federal Sentencing Guidelines, including:
Program structure, responsibility and resources
Program oversight and the tone at the top
Written standards
Training and communication
Due care
Detection, monitoring and auditing
Enforcement and discipline
Corporate Citizenship and Responsibility (20%)
This category reviews a wide range of a company’s performance indicators associated with sustainability, citizenship and social responsibility, specifically including such areas as environmental stewardship, community involvement, corporate philanthropy, workplace impact and well-being and supply chain engagement and oversight. The quality and effectiveness of the initiatives are considered, in addition to stated and measureable goals, accountability and transparency.
Culture of Ethics (20%)
This category examines the extent to which an applicant promotes an organizational culture that encourages and achieves ethical conduct and a commitment to compliance with the law. Specifically, the category measures an organization’s efforts and success at establishing an ethical tone throughout every level of the organization.
Governance (15%)
This category looks at the availability and quality of systems designed to ensure strong corporate governance including oversight, governance principles and risk management. Governance criteria is modified as needed and as is appropriate when reviewing private companies, partnerships, educational institutions and non-profits.
Leadership, Innovation and Reputation (10%)
This category measures a company’s legal compliance, litigation and ethical track record, along with the strength of the company’s ethical reputation in the market place including with key stakeholders such as employees and customers. While we take into account awards and accolades garnered, we also look at some concrete examples of corporate leadership in local, national, industry and/or global initiatives that promote business ethics, responsible and sustainable business practices, environmental stewardship, good governance, transparency and social responsibility. Standard-setting and thought leadership is important, but ultimately what matters most is the quality and innovation of company’s engagement with various stakeholders considered within the context of the company size, industry and performance in comparison to industry peers.
- See more at: http://ethisphere.com/worlds-most-ethical/scoring-methodology/#sthash.v4Mt1wbt.dpuf

Intel has certainly been an aggressive competitor and they were punished for that financially where their actions violated the law ... they now are one of the industry leaders in social and environmental responsibility ... although not everyone thinks that is important it definitely helps companies performance in the ethics area ... Intel took rules on insider trading and ethical violations of that sort very seriously when I worked for them ... later as a supplier to Intel I encountered their comprehensive supplier ethical requirements (including certifications and passing both Intel and 3rd party audits) ... having never worked much with AMD I can't speak to their internal programs or the requirements they impose on their supply chain so I don't know if they are as strict or stricter than Intel's

Intel has certainly been an aggressive competitor and they were punished for that financially where their actions violated the law
Well they broke the law far and wide back in the early 00s, and the damage to the market we're still feeling to this day. Claiming they were punished for it is kind of like how HSBC was "punished" for laundering money for the Mexican cartel and Al Qaeda for the better part of a decade: They got fined for several weeks profit, nobody went to jail, nobody got fired over it, no additional oversight was made, and they're more successful than ever. Crime paid. I guess the difference is HSBC didn't win ethics awards on top of that (that I know of).

Well they broke the law far and wide back in the early 00s, and the damage to the market we're still feeling to this day. Claiming they were punished for it is kind of like how HSBC was "punished" for laundering money for the Mexican cartel and Al Qaeda for the better part of a decade: They got fined for several weeks profit, nobody went to jail, nobody got fired over it, no additional oversight was made, and they're more successful than ever. Crime paid. I guess the difference is HSBC didn't win ethics awards on top of that (that I know of).

They were punished within the boundaries of the law (unless you are suggesting that the constitutional prohibition on ex post facto laws doesn't apply to corporations) ... Also, the behaviors that people are complaining about occurred fifteen years and two CEOs ago and many employees that worked there then are gone now ... Unless we hold companies under perpetual penance for previous actions

What does it say about large corporations when a company which engaged in illegal sales tactics for years, is still more ethical than almost all the rest?

Back