Intel giving ARC a respectable barrier of entry.

I see this as a way for OEMs to upsell you on their RAM, since it must run in dual-channel to get the sticker. So no more cheap upgrades after buying the minimum config. aO_o

-bZj

I see this as a way for OEMs to upsell you on their RAM, since it must run in dual-channel to get the sticker. So no more cheap upgrades after buying the minimum config. aO_o

-bZj
The other side is, by removing the lower config options, they are now moving more ram which brings down their volume pricing and reduces the SKUs which reduces their costs. So it drives down the cost of 16GB options as opposed to what they were.

Considering how many laptops are sold with only 1 channel of ram, I can totally see why. AMD's 780M without 5600Mhz ram is much slower. It's also possibly a jab at Apple since they still sell laptops with less than 16GB of ram. Tim Cook won't be happy hearing this.
timcook.jpg

Considering how many laptops are sold with only 1 channel of ram, I can totally see why. AMD's 780M without 5600Mhz ram is much slower. It's also possibly a jab at Apple since they still sell laptops with less than 16GB of ram. Tim Cook won't be happy hearing this.
View attachment 620973
I don't think apple much cares for the base model "customers". :)

Many Lenovo models have a single stick of soldered RAM and 1 open DIMM slot.

They also often bios limit RAM capacity. Even for some gaming models with 2 DIMM slots.

Do they still whitelist? I quit buying cause of that.
Enough that people visit winraid forums to try and see if they can modify their bios to remove it. I was there recently trying to see if I can enable NVME since it was feature locked on my Lenovo Carbon X1 3rd gen laptop. I see lots of people trying to remove the wifi whitelist or at least add their wifi adapter to it. I'm trying to gift it to someone and wanted to put in 1TB instead of the 256GB that it came with.

There was some rumors that some Laptop wanted to be granted the exception to not put Arc stickers for a while and people considering putting really cheap amd-nvidia dgpu still just for the well known brand sticker, not sure if it is true, but I would say that was a good and "easy" time to start doing this (could even be to save face at how low cost it is for them), because we can imagine many will not care to not put ARC sticker on laptop, what percentage of consumer know about Arc gpus ? of them which see it as a big plus ?

The hp-dell will not mind much about that sticker and the precedent will be in place for the future, when it will. Some AMD apu I think benefit a lot from dual channel ram and could love this.

Last edited:
Smart move by Intel.

From what I've heard, at best, this is mutual, but realistically, this is Intel taking control of the narrative that was OEMs already not wanting to associate their brands with Arc. I even checked at Costco, none of the Intel laptops had Arc stickers on them anyway.

There was some rumors that some Laptop wanted to be granted the exception to not put Arc stickers for a while and people considering putting really cheap amd-nvidia dgpu still just for the sticker, not sure if it is true, but I would say that was a good and "easy" time to start doing this (could even be to save face at how low cost it is for them), because we can imagine many will not care to not put ARC sticker on laptop, what percentage of consumer know about Arc gpus ? of them which see it as a big plus ?
Meteor Lake laptop benchmarks are already out and while the ones I've found have terrible methods, with the few I found focusing on Geekbench and Cinebench. Like, a lot of Cinebench focused tests. It doesn't perform better than their existing laptop chips, but the GPU performance is really good, as well as the battery life unplugged. Intel wants to make sure that Meteor Lake performs its best, which is understandable because there are too many laptops sold with an empty ram slot. Which is stupid because not only the GPU performs much slower, but the overall system does as well, for a cheap memory stick. But yea, ARC doesn't have a name that Intel can leverage yet with OEMs. Radeon and Geforce are well known established names, but ARC barely makes a blip on the radar for most people. This is what Intel gets for ignoring GPU graphics for the past two decades.

Last edited:
From what I've heard, at best, this is mutual, but realistically, this is Intel taking control of the narrative that was OEMs already not wanting to associate their brands with Arc. I even checked at Costco, none of the Intel laptops had Arc stickers on them anyway.
Costco only has 2 models it stocks with ARC, they are both $2000+ units. The bulk are Xe graphics. With a smattering of AMD and Nvidia tossed in.

I don't know why they don't screen print them. My HP Zbook has it's own name screenprinted, as well as Bang & Olufsen. Then has the little Xeon sticker. When was the last time you could swap your CPU/GPU in a laptop? (Ages ago, I upgraded my Turion.) So why not just screenprint the Arc/Core Ultra/whatever on there?

I'd rather they not put any stickers on laptops at all!
The stickers are for people who don't know tech. The word ARC is actually pretty catchy and might convince someone to think it's worth buying that laptop. The stickers aren't for people like us.
I don't know why they don't screen print them. My HP Zbook has it's own name screenprinted, as well as Bang & Olufsen. Then has the little Xeon sticker. When was the last time you could swap your CPU/GPU in a laptop? (Ages ago, I upgraded my Turion.) So why not just screenprint the Arc/Core Ultra/whatever on there?
Nowadays if you want to upgrade the laptop you just replace the whole motherboard. To give you an idea how crazy I've went with this, I'm battling this Lenovo Ideapad 3 15ARE05 that just stopped turning on. It came with a Ryzen 4500U but I decided to buy a similar board with a 4700U. The problem is that this board would sometimes just crash and not turn on for a while, but this took months before the problem manifested. So then I bought another board from a Lenovo V15_ADA that has a Ryzen 3500U. Takes a few attempts but the laptop eventually turns on, and will stay on if you sleep it but turn it off and back to repeatedly trying to get it back on. I'd imagine that a solder joint broke at some point for these boards, or at the very least broke a solder pad. The laptop itself is extremely flexible, which gives you the idea of the build quality of Lenovo. But I was able to replace the board from a different laptop with a different CPU from two other laptops. Not something you can do with an Apple Macbook, as it's been tested that even the boards are serialized, but I haven't seen a PC laptop you couldn't do this to.

Last edited:
Should give them in the box for people that want to stick them, or maybe I just did not find a good way to remove them (tried alcohol), they did leave quite the trace on mine.
I've been using one of these for many years. It is plastic safe and dissolves all the residue. Even so, it's not perfect and you can still see where it was if you look close. Simply unacceptable especially on a high end product!

https://www.amazon.com/CircuitWorks-CECOMINOD014071-Chemtronics-CW3700-Mighty/dp/B005T74NOI

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The word ARC is actually pretty catchy
More or less than Iris® Xe Graphics ? Someone that see Arc on a laptop and Iris Xe Graphics on the other, Iris Xe could sound more powerful.

Simply unacceptable especially on a high end product!
I did not mind them much before in person meeting with clients where I brought my laptop, felt unprofessional.

Apple never uses them
Apple has good control on their product presentation and can have a whole nice paper next to them that tell the buyer what in the laptop, those sticker could be a way to advertise their product to people that will see you use said laptop and for that Apple tend to have the nice logo.

More or less than Iris® Xe Graphics ? Someone that see Arc on a laptop and Iris Xe Graphics on the other, Iris Xe could sound more powerful.
ARC sounds like someone is welding where Iris is your eye. The colors and theme Intel is using to advertise ARC seems to suggest they are referencing welding. I think it's a better name, but then again who will get that reference? Probably less people who understand the Apple logo is an Adam and Eve reference. Credit to Apple, that was very clever marketing.
Apple has good control on their product presentation and can have a whole nice paper next to them that tell the buyer what in the laptop, those sticker could be a way to advertise their product to people that will see you use said laptop and for that Apple tend to have the nice logo.
I doubt most people care about the specs of their Apple products. The Apple logo though, you see that in films and popular media. As long as the Geekbench numbers are bigger for Apple, the average Apple user won't care beyond that. Apple could put the M3 logo on their laptops, but I think that's less beneficial to them. There's a reason why AMD and Intel like to have confusing names for their products, because they don't want you to know exactly what you're buying. A lot of them depend on ignorance for better profits.

Should be the other way around. Don't make a quality product, we'll put an awful sticker on your equipment. Oh yes, "Intel Inside", "Arc", we will make your laptop so ugly you'll hate us.
Nah, fewer stickers but hard load it with so many “Premium” applications, that it makes the virus infected popups of old look like a minor annoyance.

Who uses Apple products? (my world)

Edit: After writing that, realized that it could be interpreted in two very opposite ways. Now... I'm sort of proud of how that came out.

Last edited:
I thought it was in reference to Isaac Newton, at least back in the 1970s when Apple was new?

View attachment 621495
This. ^

When I asked Bard:
====
Here's what we know:
  • Early Days: The original Apple logo, used in 1976, had no bite and featured Isaac Newton sitting under an apple tree with a quote by William Wordsworth. This logo was designed by Ronald Wayne, not Jobs or Wozniak.
  • The Bite: In 1977, Rob Janoff redesigned the logo to the familiar bitten apple. While many theories arose, Janoff himself has always explained the bite's purpose as purely practical: to avoid confusion with a cherry at small sizes.
  • Myths and Misconceptions: Some popular theories, like the connection to Alan Turing's suicide or the biblical reference to Adam and Eve, have been debunked by Janoff and others at Apple.
====
-bZj

The stickers are for people who don't know tech. The word ARC is actually pretty catchy and might convince someone to think it's worth buying that laptop. The stickers aren't for people like us.

Nowadays if you want to upgrade the laptop you just replace the whole motherboard. To give you an idea how crazy I've went with this, I'm battling this Lenovo Ideapad 3 15ARE05 that just stopped turning on. It came with a Ryzen 4500U but I decided to buy a similar board with a 4700U. The problem is that this board would sometimes just crash and not turn on for a while, but this took months before the problem manifested. So then I bought another board from a Lenovo V15_ADA that has a Ryzen 3500U. Takes a few attempts but the laptop eventually turns on, and will stay on if you sleep it but turn it off and back to repeatedly trying to get it back on. I'd imagine that a solder joint broke at some point for these boards, or at the very least broke a solder pad. The laptop itself is extremely flexible, which gives you the idea of the build quality of Lenovo. But I was able to replace the board from a different laptop with a different CPU from two other laptops. Not something you can do with an Apple Macbook, as it's been tested that even the boards are serialized, but I haven't seen a PC laptop you couldn't do this to.
Cool. I never thought of doing this. I guess it makes sense on most similar lines. Seems like buying/reselling would be easier. I have opened the case on a few laptops and swapping everything sounds like a major PITA. Still kind of fun, though.

Cool. I never thought of doing this. I guess it makes sense on most similar lines. Seems like buying/reselling would be easier. I have opened the case on a few laptops and swapping everything sounds like a major PITA. Still kind of fun, though.
Older laptops were harder but newer ones are easy. Newer ones are also not built as well for this reason, in my opinion. With the IdeaPad 3 I mentioned, the board is just held down with a dozen screws. Some websites even tell you which laptops the board is compatible with.
L19D3PF5_04-min_grande.jpg

Back