Intel Equivalent of an AMD 2200+ ?

Meng-Chieh

Weaksauce
What would you guys consider to be an Intel equivalent of an AMD 2200+, a P4 2.2 GHz ?

as he says, in theory.

In practice, it depends on the app. Some are faster on the P4 at the same clock, some are slower.

Bare in mind however that AMD's PR rating was used for referencing AthlonXP processors against Intel Northwood "B" cores only. The PR rating breaks down with the 2400+ vs. 2.4C comparison.

jarman said:
Bare in mind however that AMD's PR rating was used for referencing AthlonXP processors against Intel Northwood "B" cores only. The PR rating breaks down with the 2400+ vs. 2.4C comparison.

not by much. in memory bandwidth measurement very much so

It very much depends on what you're doing with it. If you game, some games are faster on P4 and some on AMD.... If you do any video work, DivX is better on P4, XviD on AMD....

Since AMD PR ratings are based on Thunderbird Athlon speeds, its really hard to make a direct comparison to a P4.

i.e. 2200+ XP roughly equivalent to 2200mhz Thunderbird.

Nuc_E said:
Since AMD PR ratings are based on Thunderbird Athlon speeds, its really hard to make a direct comparison to a P4.

i.e. 2200+ XP roughly equivalent to 2200mhz Thunderbird.

you just keep believing the marketing. you honestly believe they didnt say that just so they wouldnt get sued?

kronchev said:
you just keep believing the marketing. you honestly believe they didnt say that just so they wouldnt get sued?

Ok well, my friend is gonna be purchasing an AMD system soon (possibly a 2200+ XP) and he really wants to know (for future references when purchasing games, apps, whatever) the intel equivalent pentium processor that he'd be getting.

dandragonrage said:
Tell him there is no equivalent.

no equivalent? so if a certain game doesn't list AMD as its minimum requirement (not sure if this is widespread, but i've seen game boxes that doesn't list amd), then there's no way my friend can know if he can play the game or not? i mean, isn't there at least a comparison available?

Meng-Chieh said:
no equivalent? so if a certain game doesn't list AMD as its minimum requirement (not sure if this is widespread, but i've seen game boxes that doesn't list amd), then there's no way my friend can know if he can play the game or not? i mean, isn't there at least a comparison available?

I think dandragonrage was stating that from most die hard AMD users perspective that they would rather have their Barton 2500 than anything made by Intel @ any speed. ;)

As for what your asking - yes a XP2500 is comparable to a 2.5ghz Pentium and a XP2200 is comparable to a Pentium 2.2ghz and so forth.

For something as simple as minimum requirements, you can consider a 2200+ close enough to a P4 2.2GHz. But what I meant is that you can't say a 2200+ and a P4 2.2 are the same because the AMD is faster in some stuff, the P4 faster in others.

dandragonrage said:
For something as simple as minimum requirements, you can consider a 2200+ close enough to a P4 2.2GHz. But what I meant is that you can't say a 2200+ and a P4 2.2 are the same because the AMD is faster in some stuff, the P4 faster in others.

Understand totally.

The AMD processors seem more balanced, the don't excel in some stuff, but they don't falter in others, the P4 has its strengths and uses, don't get me wrong, but it is weak in some apps.
That is why I prefer AMD at the moment.

I'll say this as well, if I had not already owned half the stuff to build and AMD system for my tvbox, it would have been a P4, as I do alot of vid work on it.

Back