Intel Duo 64bit?

NightyNight

Weaksauce
Whats the deal with the new intel duo processors in the macs? Are they 64bit to take advantage of Tiger, like the PowerPC G5's?

One of the reasons i ask this is because im asking for a macbook for my graduation gift and as my main for college, and it would be nice to be able to dual boot to windows vista when it comes out, and OSX, is this ever going to be possible?

Vista can dual boot, XP can't. XP has no support for EFI...that aside

no...core duo has no 64 bit support, but whatever processors the Powermacs(or whatever they will be) WILL be 64-bit, apple would be stupid NOT to....

NightyNight said:
Whats the deal with the new intel duo processors in the macs? Are they 64bit to take advantage of Tiger, like the PowerPC G5's?

One of the reasons i ask this is because im asking for a macbook for my graduation gift and as my main for college, and it would be nice to be able to dual boot to windows vista when it comes out, and OSX, is this ever going to be possible?

From what I've heard, intel's next-gen architecture (64-bit consumer multi-core chips) won't be until the second half of 2006... those will probably be the chips on the new PowerMac's or whatever they're called.

Tiger isn't fully 64-bit though, it's still mostly 32-bit with some 64-bit extensions, so you're not missing out on much for day-to-day usage (witness the fact that Tiger ships on a single disc for 32 and 64 bit PPC processors today-- most of the codebase is 32-bit)

I have to say honestly im slightly disappointed about this. Why would Intel have not worked on this? Specifically because they took two steps foward and one back here, I still want one haha :)

64-bit is still a thing of the future, so it's not a big deal that the new Core Duo chips are 32-bit. It will be important in a few years, but now? No.

True :) Still wouldve been a good feature to have knowing that you wont need a new mac in a couple years, although ill probably buy a new one again anyways!

Mike

NightyNight said:
Yonah (Core Duo) is a 32-bit chip.

Merom and Conroe coming out later this year are 64-bit. Apple did say they were moving the low end to Intel first.

pxc said:
Yonah (Core Duo) is a 32-bit chip.

Merom and Conroe coming out later this year are 64-bit. Apple did say they were moving the low end to Intel first.

I don't think the MacBook Pro is the low end notebook... but it certainly wouldn't have made any sense to put Intel chips in the iBooks first, because then they would be faster than the Powerbooks.

Yeah, the Conroe chips should be out later this year... the PowerMac replacement (I'm gonna guess that the lame marketing rename will be "Mac Pro") will probably feature two dual-core Conroe chips, so that they still have a quad processor box.

Steve said he wanted Mac in everything's name, so what is the new PowerMac going to be called? Certainly not the MacMac following the scheme used when going from the PowerBook to the MacBook.

I believe the will probably be a higher end notebook comming out from Apple with a 64bit Core Duo. I don't see the MacBook as low end but more as Mid Range. I think we'll see the 32bit be the low to mid range and the 64bit be the high end for at least the next year. But now we have Mac and Universal applications when 64bit is thrown into this mess will there be more application compatability issues?

Steve said he wanted Mac in everything's name, so what is the new PowerMac going to be called?
I want some of what you're smoking. It's the Power Mac, for crying out loud.

But now we have Mac and Universal applications when 64bit is thrown into this mess will there be more application compatability issues?
No. Mac OS X handles x86/PPC & 32/64-bits completely transparently. The only problem is that some applications will get a lot bigger binaries, but even that is a very small issue.

Yes, but the Power in PowerMac is referring to PowerPC. They can't very well call it x86Mac.

Yeah, The Power part of PowerMac will definetly be going. MacMac does sound funny but realistically, I think they'll probably come up with some new name. I can always remember PowerMac for like forever.

PowerBook --> MacBook Pro
iBook --> MacBook
PowerMac --> Mac Pro

just a guess

My prediction:

"BigMac" - baseline Power Mac replacement, brushed aluminum
"BiggerMac" - top-end Power Mac replacement, black like the new iPods

:eek:

Black Morty Rackham said:
My prediction:

A piano black polished apple tower would be very nice... I think they should offer the iMacs and iBooks in black too though.

Black Morty Rackham said:
My prediction:

I think they should do build-to-order Macs and call them 'Pimp Macs'

Hey we all remember the Mirrored Drive Door G4's, with the chrome on the front! Now those were the PimpMacs

revs said:
PowerBook --> MacBook Pro
iBook --> MacBook
PowerMac --> Mac Pro

just a guess

Well then there's gotta be something that's just called "Mac"!

For the talk about the CPU going into the BigMac.

I'm fairly certain Apple is waiting for Intel to release Conroe, the desktop successor to the Yonah [MacDuo]. Conroe will be a 2.46 to 3.13ghz CPU with a 1333mhz FSB {i believe], be multi-cored and have x84-64

Back