Intel dual quadcore on 5000 series server board?

nray

Limp Gawd
Hey, has anyone done any game benchmarks on the Intel 5000 series chipset server motherboards with two quad-core Xeons (like the Intel Clovertown)? It would be interesting to see how games like Supreme Commander that can take advantage of multiple cores perform on 8 CPUs.

Supcom Barely uses Dual Core. Sorry. This would be such a waste it's not even funny.

A more realitic thing is to see how such game performs on single quad.

They've already tested that, and it does make a difference -

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6166198/p-6.html

The game goes from 38 fps on the dual-core 2.93Ghz X6800 to 43fps on the quadcore 2.66Ghz QX6700, so the game can definitely take advantage of quadcore, which is exciting.

Also, I'd love to see some dual quadcore testing of the Source Engine, which with it's Hybrid Threading implementation and supports any number of cores:

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2006/11/02/Multi_core_in_the_Source_Engin/2.html

"We gravitated towards creating a custom work management system that's designed specifically for gaming problems - its job is to keep the cores 100% utilised. We make it so that there are N-1 threads for N cores, with the other thread being the master synchronisation thread. The system allows the main thread to throw off work to as many cores as there might be available to run on, and it also allows itself to be subjugated to other threads if needs be."

Supcom Barely uses Dual Core. Sorry. This would be such a waste it's not even funny.

The Gamespot CPU performance tests don't do an apples-to-apples comparison for per-core CPU scaling (which they could have done so easily by going into msconfig to the boot.ini tab, clicking on Advanced Options, checking off /NUMPROC= and then selecting the number of processors they wanted the OS to use, rebooting, and testing), but based on the fact that the game does perform better with four cores running at a slower speed than just two cores leads me to conclude that the game is in fact threaded pretty well. As well as Valve's Source Engine? I don't know, but I'd like to know, which is why I started this thread.

Back