Intel Devil's Canyon i7 To Be 4GHz Out of the Box?

I've got my cross hairs in DC 4790k. Plan is head shot at Micro Center then a razer delid at the lab!

Already have Gigabyte Z97 SOC Force for it.

It was like that before 1999 too....But for speed increase, it would quintuple every 4 years and I would upgrade. I went from a 386 20MHz to 100MHz Pentium in 1995, 500MHz Pentium III in 1999, and 2.4GHz (overclock it to 2.5, if you will) Pentium 4 in 2003. Now that lacking (but not in heat) Netburst architecture let AMD finally take the lead, and they realized that just upping clock speeds like mad wasn't the answer (didn't Intel predict 10 - 12GHz Northwoods? Dewey defeats Truman!)

But if it had held, we'd have 12.5GHz in 2007, 50GHz in 2011, and by next year, we'd all be happily using 250GHz processors :D.....And another 4 years to desktop terahertz processors sure wouldn't be bad!

And they would still have less performance than a 2.4 GHz Athlon 64 :)

Zarathustra[H];1040824927 said:
If we were to assume that Devil's Canyon continues Intel's generation by generation ~5% IPC improvement, and we also assume these rumored clock speeds, the top K quad core model ought to be ~33% faster than a Sandy Bridge 2600K when stock, and if the rumors regarding the better TIM are accurate, the benefit when overclocking could be huge (unless you are into delidding)

Code:
		turbo	IPC	Turbo	overall
		clock	incr	incr	
sandy	2600k	3.8	-	-	1
ivy	3770K	3.9	4.00%	2.63%	1.067368421
haswell	4770k	3.9	5%	0.00%	1.120736842
Devils	unk	4.4	5%	12.82%	1.327642105

Compared to the golden days (1999 to 2005) when we had competition, this isn't much, especially considering Sandy was launched almost 3.5 years ago, but 33% also isn't nothing.

That 13% turbo looks pretty out of place. Call me crazy but I think this news is bunk.

http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTM5OTkwNDU5OUtLODJZT1RzZWFfMV8xX2wuanBn

Note: is says on the third line: supported by new Intel 9 series chipset. Unknown as to why exactly, but they don't say that it will work on an 8 series motherboard.

Intel has said that Devil's Canyon will be supported by series-9, but they also have never said that it won't actually be supported by series-8 boards as well (though some outlets keep reporting this as fact).

Imo, it would be terribly stupid of Intel to do this, but we'll find out for sure in a few weeks.

That 13% turbo looks pretty out of place. Call me crazy but I think this news is bunk.

It probably is, but it's the best we have to go on for now. That's why I said "assuming it is true" for this analysis, because I am far from believing it actually is.

I think it is much more likely we'll just see a 100mhz bump on base clock and turbo clock and possibly the 5% IPC improvement we've become used to over the last few years.

It's not just AMD's falling behind but there's less and less performance to be eked out of current designs. Not to mention the very real barrier of reality.

Diminishing returns have been plaguing the CPU market for some time, and the fact that now things are just so expensive to design for a shrinking market there's less incentive. I don't think the PC is dead or dying, but the market is flat.

Intel should be applauded for dragging their architectures carcass around for so long.

IMO, the x86 is nearing the end of the road and entirely new designs are needed to keep pace

X86 by most standards can keep this anemic pace going for another 5 years or so. But sub 10nm (maybe 5nm) is going to be a hurdle likely not overcome. You're talking massive expense for little performance increase.

So what happens then I don't know. It's not likely performance increases just stop. But where will they come from after? ARM isn't going to be there.

Anyways what i'm saying is that radical new designs are going to be needed rather soon in market terms. That's assuming intel still sees the desktop market as a priority.

Personally, I think the switch from speed emphasis to low power and "good enough" speed has already started.

Clouds are probably the big future markets. Just my .02

This and 8-core and I'll flop back to Intel on my next purchase.

I have an 8-core AMD 8350 and that thing gets hot. Actually, it's the VRMs that get super hot. In fact my Gigabyte board which is 8x2 can barely handle it. Soon as I run Prime95, the temp on the VRMs goes sky high. Normal applications aren't a problem, but most applications aren't multi-threaded still.

Intel doesn't make many 130w+ CPUs but I'm sure that's about to change. Pay attention to those VRMs, cause my experience shows that motherboard manufacturers go cheap with VRM cooling. I have the Antec Spotfan aimed directly at my VRM heatsink, and it can still go past 65C in 5 mins, with Prime95.

Avoid motherboards with crappy VRMs and that don't have cooling on them. I bought a Gigabyte board for a AMD A10 CPU for my sisters HTPC, and the board would crash every time I ran prime95. No cooling on the VRM and would get hot enough to burn my finger tips. VRMs like any modern MOSFET will shut off when it reaches a certain temperature. Put some copper heatsinks on them and no more random crashing.

Most Intel cpus tend to run cooler and draw less power then AMD cpus do. That's starting to change with Intel recently catching up with AMD in terms of heat output. What a lot of motherboard manufacturer's do lately with VRMs is just downright criminal. My experience is with Gigabyte, but I hear MSI and Biostar do some nasty things as well, like auto throttle the CPU down to cool down the VRMs. Gigabyte just lets them get so hot that they either eventually fail or warp the motherboard from excessive heat.

41JqDtwx4CL._SY300_.jpg

I'm seriously considering dropping one of these in, it could be a lot of fun to mess with. Hell the boost frequency on these things is only 100mhz what I'm clocked to atm.

I have an 8-core AMD 8350 and that thing gets hot. Actually, it's the VRMs that get super hot. In fact my Gigabyte board which is 8x2 can barely handle it. Soon as I run Prime95, the temp on the VRMs goes sky high. Normal applications aren't a problem, but most applications aren't multi-threaded still.

Intel doesn't make many 130w+ CPUs but I'm sure that's about to change. Pay attention to those VRMs, cause my experience shows that motherboard manufacturers go cheap with VRM cooling. I have the Antec Spotfan aimed directly at my VRM heatsink, and it can still go past 65C in 5 mins, with Prime95.

Avoid motherboards with crappy VRMs and that don't have cooling on them. I bought a Gigabyte board for a AMD A10 CPU for my sisters HTPC, and the board would crash every time I ran prime95. No cooling on the VRM and would get hot enough to burn my finger tips. VRMs like any modern MOSFET will shut off when it reaches a certain temperature. Put some copper heatsinks on them and no more random crashing.

Most Intel cpus tend to run cooler and draw less power then AMD cpus do. That's starting to change with Intel recently catching up with AMD in terms of heat output. What a lot of motherboard manufacturer's do lately with VRMs is just downright criminal. My experience is with Gigabyte, but I hear MSI and Biostar do some nasty things as well, like auto throttle the CPU down to cool down the VRMs. Gigabyte just lets them get so hot that they either eventually fail or warp the motherboard from excessive heat.

41JqDtwx4CL._SY300_.jpg

I had the same issue with a biostar board that (to my horror) came with no vrm cooling at all.

I didn't even notice until I saw the cpu auto throttling under p95. The CPU was an AMD 750k.

DC are chips for people with a compatible mobo and a dual core CPU. If one need a new mobo, it is better to wait for 8c Haswell-E or just go for the 6c 4960. anyone with a 2500k would just say meh to devils canon.

My 4770k can do 4.8 without deliding, 4.7 24/7. But I will want to get my hands on one of those 4970's!!

At this point, I think more and more I'm better off waiting for at least Devil's Canyon or Broadwell (or did I miss they're the same?). I'm sitting on an X6800 until later in the year. The Mrs. said we should try to keep up...and I haven't don't a platform change since moving to LGA775 after my NF4 Lan Party died from a PSU death. Whatever I get is going to blow me away for years to come.

I have an 8-core AMD 8350 and that thing gets hot. Actually, it's the VRMs that get super hot.

8-core is actually nothing. One of my systems is a single-socket 16-core with CPU and VRM temps that are a lot cooler than the prior Intel Xeon system. Do your research and buy quality.

I've got my cross hairs in DC 4790k. Plan is head shot at Micro Center then a razer delid at the lab!

No need to delid. The TIM is good this time. I'll be at MC also. I can't wait.

Yeah but what if you want to delid it?

The whole reason delidding became a phenomenon with Intel's recent offereings is because they went from solder (awesome!) to paste (shitty!). No need to delid if they're going back to solder.

I have an unopened 4770k. Intel can exchange it for me, with 4790k? Since 4770k's TIM is of substandard quality.

Going to give GB another chance? I remember the fun you had with the first Z87 board you bought.

No shit. That NH-D14 keeps it super cool at 4.8.

Back